New York did win a championship last night...

kranmars

Staff member
The New York Cosmos won the 2015 SoccerBowl. They beat the Ottawa Fury 3-2, capturing their seventh NASL title (second in three years).

It was also the final game for Spanish greats, Raul and Marco Senna, as both announced thier retirements. Raul from what I remember when he signed to play a year in NY, was part of a business venture to head a developmental youth soccer academy.

While I may be the first and last mention this game, it is ok. As a 45 year old, that team and logo always brings back memories. My first soccer love. Too bad they couldn't work out an agreement with MLS. Maybe some other time.

No matter, I will just have a blast with my kids watching this Cosmos reboot.

http://www.nycosmos.com/news/2015/11/15/cosmos-win-2015-nasl-championship

A title, is a title, is a title. And they did beat a certain MLS team you are familiar with in the US Open Cup. ;) :p

All jokes aside, it would not be an outrageous statement that to claim that once the Cosmos join MLS, they would instantly become the most popular franchise.

A title, is a title, is a title. And they did beat a certain MLS team you are familiar with in the US Open Cup. ;) :p

All jokes aside, it would not be an outrageous statement that to claim that once the Cosmos join MLS, they would instantly become the most popular franchise.

Never gonna happen ;)
I got a jersey for you :)

Never gonna happen ;)

Never is too much of an absolute. I will remain hopefull of something being worked out.

If by jersey, you mean the Cosmos just buying the MLS team that plays in Harrison, New Jersey, I will pass. :)

Never gonna happen ;)

Never is too much of an absolute. I will remain hopefull of something being worked out.

If by jersey, you mean the Cosmos just buying the MLS team that plays in Harrison, New Jersey, I will pass. :)

That is their best way into MLS adn they should do that.

Never gonna happen ;)

That is their best way into MLS adn they should do that.

I know, I know. Especially when it isn't a secret Red Bull is interested in getting out of MLS ownership. I will give the Red Bulls this much. They have the best stadium in town, with a great soccer atmosphere.

Amazing, since they had the worst when they were playing at Giants Stadium. I just never caught on to the Metros/MetroStars/Red Bulls.

And by the way, thanks Moose. You have helped make this thread longer than I could have ever envisioned. :lol:

Never gonna happen ;)

There only chance to join MLS is to come up with the 100 million franchise fee that NYC FC paid otherwise it doesn't matter what they say or do they aren't getting in.

Pele is still my all time favorite player. Loved the old time Cosmos. Still remember them beating the European champions Barcelona with Maradona on the team.

Never gonna happen ;)

There only chance to join MLS is to come up with the 100 million franchise fee that NYC FC paid otherwise it doesn't matter what they say or do they aren't getting in.

Pele is still my all time favorite player. Loved the old time Cosmos. Still remember them beating the European champions Barcelona with Maradona on the team.

Cosmos have the money. They mostly don't want to play by MLS rules. Now they have cost themselves a shot with NYCFC involved. Their only chance now is to buy out Red Bulls. MLS can't handle 3 teams in one city.

Never gonna happen ;)

Cosmos have the money. They mostly don't want to play by MLS rules. Now they have cost themselves a shot with NYCFC involved. Their only chance now is to buy out Red Bulls. MLS can't handle 3 teams in one city.
What do you mean "they mostly don't want to play by MLS rules"?

Never gonna happen ;)

What do you mean "they mostly don't want to play by MLS rules"?

The MLS has a salary cap, and is a centralized league. Basically, the league office wields a lot of power. They are usually the one who designate player allocation, for example. Plus, (and this is tied to the cap), there isn't much in the way of free agency.

Never gonna happen ;)

Moose, everything is tied to a stadium deal. If the Cosmos ever get the ok to build a soccer specific stadium by Belmont or the old Roosevelt race track, then all bets are off. That will force both the MLS and the Cosmos to come to the table.

If the Cosmos get a stadium of their own, in addition to the already large resources from ownership, they will toy around with the NASL.

All together now: Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap...Cosmos!

It still is and always will be the best logo in sports.

Never gonna happen ;)

Moose, everything is tied to a stadium deal. If the Cosmos ever get the ok to build a soccer specific stadium by Belmont or the old Roosevelt race track, then all bets are off. That will force both the MLS and the Cosmos to come to the table.

If the Cosmos get a stadium of their own, in addition to the already large resources from ownership, they will toy around with the NASL.

All together now: Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap...Cosmos!

I know you love your Cosmos and 3-4 years ago it would have been a great story. They should have sucked it up and played by MLS rules to start and then try to break the mold after entry. Hmmmm that sounds familiar :)

Any politician who gives them any money to build a new stadium with that capacity when their attendance shows no signs of coming anywhere close to that needs their head checked. Their only hope is that years years years down the line Promotion and Relegation happens. I tend to think in MLS it could happen down the road.

It was fun, we got onto the field and celebrated with the club. It was especially nice for me because I missed out on the trip to Atlanta 2 years ago that most of my friends went on. I'm glad we got to send Senna off on a high as well, he has been a modern day Cosmos legend both on and off the field. Lastly I'm hugely excited for the offseason with senna's 200,000 coming off the books and Raul's 500,000 to 1,000,000 the 'Mos are gonna have some cash to splash. I'd personally love to see Samaras but we will see who comes along. Anyways the offseason is the time that I truly appreciate being in the NASL as anything is possible for us in the transfer market without the limitations of MLS's single entity getting in the way. That said no matter the league theCosmos viability long term relies on having a home of their own.

Never gonna happen ;)

I know you love your Cosmos and 3-4 years ago it would have been a great story. They should have sucked it up and played by MLS rules to start and then try to break the mold after entry. Hmmmm that sounds familiar :)

Any politician who gives them any money to build a new stadium with that capacity when their attendance shows no signs of coming anywhere close to that needs their head checked. Their only hope is that years years years down the line Promotion and Relegation happens. I tend to think in MLS it could happen down the road.

they aren't asking for public money fyi.

Never gonna happen ;)

You are correct. They will build it themselves. Just need Nassau County approval (that will not be an easy negotiation).

Never gonna happen ;)

You are correct. They will build it themselves. Just need Nassau County approval (that will not be an easy negotiation).

It's actually not Nassau's decision (atleast as far a Belmont goes) it just needs approval from the state ie the Empire State Development Corp who issued the RFP. That said waiting for 2.5 years for any decision at all on the rfp and now hearing the rfp might be re-issued altogether, so clearly the state isn't any easier to deal with then the County. Nassau pols can of course try and pull the state one way or the other but they don't have any direct influence on the outcome of the RFP.

Never gonna happen ;)

Didnt realize that but why commit land to a stadium that will sit half empty or even more? The retail and other add ons aren't enough.

NYCFC is strugglig to find land for a stadium and they averaged 29k people.

Back