National Team

excellent win.

can we start working on Klinnsman's lifetime extension tonight?  :)

Great game! Played well by both teams. Without it best offensive players Balotelli, Rossi and Cassano Italy was never going to score in this game because of our strong defense.

Great game! Played well by both teams. Without it best offensive players Balotelli, Rossi and Cassano Italy was never going to score in this game because of our strong defense.

We were missing Donovan.
The better team won.
Italy must have broken the world record for off sides.
That gives them 2 world records, because they surely hold it for diving. 

We were missing Donovan.
The better team won.

I see you still enjoy subtle shots at Italians. You must have had a bad pasta pimavera somewhere, and think all of us Italians are overrated cooks as well.

Anyway, great win for the program. Klinsmann must slowly integrate more of the young kids. But we won't see a true measure of change in US Soccer untill the U-21 kids start to develop. That is where his fingerprints can be found. The future looks bright. As long as Klinsmann gets the job as the head of US Soccer after after Gulati gets his deserverd boot.

We were missing Donovan.
The better team won.

I see you still enjoy subtle shots at Italians. You must have had a bad pasta pimavera somewhere, and think all of us Italians are overrated cooks as well.

Anyway, great win for the program. Klinsmann must slowly integrate more of the young kids. But we won't see a true measure of change in US Soccer untill the U-21 kids start to develop. That is where his fingerprints can be found. The future looks bright. As long as Klinsmann gets the job as the head of US Soccer after after Gulati gets his deserverd boot.

Italy's beautiful and we truly enjoyed our visit.
You are correct though, I'm neither a fan of their food nor football.

Still too much reliance overall  on 30-somethings Dempsey, Donovan (and I know he didn't play against italy) and Bocanegra and Tim Howard. I'm thrilled with the win but the US has to start producing young talent that competes on an international stage.

We were missing Donovan.
The better team won.

Italy's beautiful and we truly enjoyed our visit.
You are correct though, I'm neither a fan of their food nor football.

You aren't a fan fo Italian food? Make fun of my parents homeland's soccer all you want, but when you start in with Italian food (and wine), now you are playing dirty.

Itaian families have been torn apart over food.

In my perfect world, a pizza margherita and gelato constitutes a daily balanced meal every day.

Forza Italia! (Except when they are playing the US of course).

Still too much reliance overall  on 30-somethings Dempsey, Donovan (and I know he didn't play against italy) and Bocanegra and Tim Howard. I'm thrilled with the win but the US has to start producing young talent that competes on an international stage.

Dempsey and Donovan are 28.
Jozy 22
Bradley 24
Edu 25
Johnson 24
Shea 21
Williams 21

All except Donovan started yesterday. 

Landon is exactly 3 days from reaching 30

Dempsey is exactly 9 days days from reaching 29 

They score almost all of biggest goals

They will be both over thirty by the time of the next WC

The younger guys on the team haven't emerged internationally (maybe except Bradley)

My point is that the US could use a new generation of stars to replace dempsey, landon and bocanegra-I don't think that's even arguable

Landon is exactly 3 days from reaching 30

Dempsey is exactly 9 days days from reaching 29 

They score almost all of biggest goals

They will be both over thirty by the time of the next WC

The younger guys on the team haven't emerged internationally (maybe except Bradley)

My point is that the US could use a new generation of stars to replace dempsey, landon and bocanegra-I don't think that's even arguable

The next WC cycle won't be very good for the US, imo. This is a big player transition.

The 2018 WC is where Klinsmann's hire will be really seen and appreciated. He his putting together his way of player of development.

The US will no longer strictly use Bradenton and the rich suburban kids who can afford it. US grass roots recruitment will include the inner city, and looking at kids with raw talent who otherwise would never get a look.

Also, the MLS Reserev system and develpment academies will have another profound change in player development. Now we will have coahes who can teach the technical side of soccer, instead of just playing physical and winning games at the 15 year old level.

The agony on WC 2014 should bear good results in 2018 and there after. The US is a long way away from being in the magnificent 7 category, but there is no excuse why we can't be the top team in the group directly below them.

Mix Diskerud and Juan Agudelo who are both around 20 just led the US U23's to a win over Mexico. They are both very strong players and will be on the National team very shortly.

Don't forget our strong German players Danny Williams, Timmy Chandler and Fabian Johnson are all very young and very strong players. Tim Ream also young is getting some great minutes at Bolton and playing well. The future of USA soccer is very bright. Let's also not for forget Stuart Holden who is young and a stud midfielder.

I love Dempsey but Michael Bradley is just as important to this team. His play in midfield against Italy was brilliant. He was the best player on the pitch by far. Aston Villa really screwed up by letting him get away.

Mix Diskerud and Juan Agudelo who are both around 20 just led the US U23's to a win over Mexico. They are both very strong players and will be on the National team very shortly.

Don't forget our strong German players Danny Williams, Timmy Chandler and Fabian Johnson are all very young and very strong players. Tim Ream also young is getting some great minutes at Bolton and playing well. The future of USA soccer is very bright. Let's also not for forget Stuart Holden who is young and a stud midfielder.

I love Dempsey but Michael Bradley is just as important to this team. His play in midfield against Italy was brilliant. He was the best player on the pitch by far. Aston Villa really screwed up by letting him get away.

I agree. And the majority of the players you mentioned will be in their prime in 2018.

That is why I said the US may not have a very sucessful 2014 WC (yes of course they will qualify), but 2018 and beyond, will have a bright future.

Also, Bradley now plays professionally in Italy, so he is very comfortable playing against that style.

And when he plays his more confortable defensive MF, he really excels, and is a vocal leader. Yes he does need to keep his temper down a bit. He gets carded often for being too aggresive.

Tim Howard or Bradley could be in line to be the next US captain.

I think going forward the USA team is going to be much more technically skilled and have greater team speed. Look for the USA team to get away from the defend and counter mentality to more of a possession and attack mindset. Jurgen is going to be very involved with the U18's, U19's and make sure his style is implemented so the next generation is ready when they get to the national team.

though limited, i love the posts y'all throw up 'bout soccer and USMNT in particular.

i'll say this, it's a loooooooong slog.

soccer is so entrenched in so many places of the world. there is no quick answer as far as i am concerned. in many ways, you can argue that the game is in its infancy in this country right now. MLS growing with youth academies and such will have great impact, but it ain't gonna be overnight.

we will kind of remain a middle of the pack, tough team to beat type for a while. not elite, but capable at times.

as for younger players? who knows? Jozy's game does seem to be improving, and all these German-American types are intriguing (Fabian Johnson has really stood out quickly in my opinion). Yeah, Dempsey and Donovan are probably on their last WC cycle, Howard too. But that's how it goes. i do think Agudelo has great potential (trust me, when he gets on the field for Red Bulls, he really puts pressure on a defense), but i don't know if he can grow much on that team. i wish Thierry were a better mentor type, especially as his game is similar to what Agudelo hopes...using his size to stand strong in the box and whatnot. we'll see.

all i know is that the passion for this great game continues to grow in this country, even if a WC win may never happen in our lifetime. :)

peace. 

Back