Montez Mathis

ShrekII

2022 $upporter
For those who feel that MM is a good offensive player because he has averaged double digits all three years of his career, this is not born out by the numbers.

For comparison here are our last years stats:

His closest comparison is Dunn.  He is a poor shooter from 2 (42.3%), 3 (27.8%) and FT (58.7%).  The only things he does well offensively is not turn the ball over and get to the free throw line (somewhat mitigated by his poor shooting).  The only way he has a chance to be a positive offensive player is if he shoots it a lot less (usage under 20%) and shoots it much better (35% from 3 and 70% from the line).  He hasn't shown any inclination that he is willing and able to do those things.  I hope that I wrong, but I don't see him playing much because he won't play the way CMA insists.

Why would he commit to St John's if he isn't willing to put in the work? He had two years of tape to see the system CMA runs at St Johns...is an Ian Steere, Part II?

Good comparison to Dunn, Dunn created a lot of points and offense off of defensive turnovers and opportunities. Poor percentage shooter, would drive me nuts in the second half. However, huge hustle, huge heart, Dunn was still a favorite to root for, still is.

Maybe Mathis plays that defensive catalyst role at the top of the zone? Plays the point in man to give Posh a breather? Too early to say he shows no interest in playing the CMA system.

As mentioned in another thread, a lot of it is going to be shot selection with Mathis. Clearly he is here because he style of athleticism and tenacious defense fit the way CMA wants to play. If most of his shots are coming at the rim in transition or off back cuts then he'll be a positive on offense. I see him as closer to Wusu than Dunn though. An off-ball guy who you want to attack the basket and only take high-percentage shots.

Fortunately there is plenty of depth on this roster, especially at the Guard positions, where the staff can pull him if he's out there making bad decisions and taking long contested 2s or is out of control with the ball. I suspect there will be games where he'll score 18 points on 6-8 shooting and there will be games where he scores 6 points on 2-9 shooting. The key will be CMA and staff making sure he's under control and making good decisions otherwise Smith, Coburn, Wusu etc will get his minutes.

Shrek, you seem like the perfect reason we have a Rookie Forum. We really appreciate the links to nowhere.

Back