Mets Complete Dickey Trade

just hope this isn't another in a long line of trading outstanding pitchers for little in return. (nolan ryan, seaver, tim mcgraw, etc.)

you WIN with pitching. ask the giants who won it two years ago with the worst hitting in baseball. dickey is far from a journeyman. he's on the rise at 38 due to his knuckleball. niekro, whilhelm, etc have been able to thrive into their 40s with that pitch.

that great young catcher the mets are getting is coming off season ending knee surgery last year...and two bulging disks the year before. not great considering the stress catchers work under. alderson has a good track record. i'm still pissed he got wheeler from my giants for a beltran rental. i hope this works, but i'm not uncorking the champagne yet.
The injury on the PCL last year didn't require surgery but it's an injury to a knee for a catcher nonetheless. Call me crazy but I would see if you could fliip the guys for Giancarlo Stanton. I just don't like relying on the catcher position for consistent offense. Hope he proves me wrong.

I don't think you realize just how good D'Arnaud is. At the AAA level (the only higher level is the MLB) he hit .333 with 16 HR in 64 games with a .600 slugging%. That means he was projected to hit over .300 with over 30 HR and he is also said to have a cannon for an arm and can throw out runners. Most of his HR's were also difficult opposite field ones. He is as close to a sure thing as you can possibly get these days with prospects. I don't think it's a stretch to say his most likely projection is Matt Wieters with a ceiling of Mike Piazza.

d'Arnaud just turned 30yrs old {not young at all} & coming off knee surgery is very scary since catching ruins the
knees asked anyone who played the position.
rhp noah syndergard better be good too bec, travis might have a short mlb career
its a clear salary dump by broke Wilponzis who cant build a leggo house w out burning it down

Uh...he's 23. He is also currently 100% healthy and didn't sustain any serious injuries. He didn't even need surgery. He's 23 not 70 his knees will be just as healthy as other catchers.

thanks daily news had him 29 turning 30 wtf just google his age is 23 your right
being that his md cleared the knee he could be a star behind the plate w a big bat the mets need
too bad they traded pagan he was a good leadoff CF bad trade for sandy & collins wanted him gone for what reason?

just hope this isn't another in a long line of trading outstanding pitchers for little in return. (nolan ryan, seaver, tim mcgraw, etc.)

you WIN with pitching. ask the giants who won it two years ago with the worst hitting in baseball. dickey is far from a journeyman. he's on the rise at 38 due to his knuckleball. niekro, whilhelm, etc have been able to thrive into their 40s with that pitch.

that great young catcher the mets are getting is coming off season ending knee surgery last year...and two bulging disks the year before. not great considering the stress catchers work under. alderson has a good track record. i'm still pissed he got wheeler from my giants for a beltran rental. i hope this works, but i'm not uncorking the champagne yet.
The injury on the PCL last year didn't require surgery but it's an injury to a knee for a catcher nonetheless. Call me crazy but I would see if you could fliip the guys for Giancarlo Stanton. I just don't like relying on the catcher position for consistent offense. Hope he proves me wrong.

I don't think you realize just how good D'Arnaud is. At the AAA level (the only higher level is the MLB) he hit .333 with 16 HR in 64 games with a .600 slugging%. That means he was projected to hit over .300 with over 30 HR and he is also said to have a cannon for an arm and can throw out runners. Most of his HR's were also difficult opposite field ones. He is as close to a sure thing as you can possibly get these days with prospects. I don't think it's a stretch to say his most likely projection is Matt Wieters with a ceiling of Mike Piazza.

d'Arnaud just turned 30yrs old {not young at all} & coming off knee surgery is very scary since catching ruins the
rhp noah syndergard better be good too bec, travis might have a short mlb career
its a clear salary dump by broke Wilponzis who cant build a leggo house w out burning it down

Uh...he's 23. He is also currently 100% healthy and didn't sustain any serious injuries. He didn't even need surgery. He's 23 not 70 his knees will be just as healthy as other catchers.

thanks daily news had him 29 turning 30 wtf just google his age is 23 your right
being that his md cleared the knee he could be a star behind the plate w a big bat the mets need
too bad they traded pagan he was a good leadoff CF bad trade for sandy & collins wanted him gone for what reason?

Haha, no prob...sure you didn't see Wright on there instead? I believe he was just 29 and turned 30 in late December. Anyway, he projects as arguably the best overall catcher prospect in the MLB. To have a good catcher is something we haven't had since Piazza and it's been a source of weakness for too long. Regarding the Pagan trade for Torres, I believe it was a sort of swap where they assumed Torres had a bit more upside than Pagan. That turned out to be untrue of course, but up until last season Pagan and Torres were basically the same kind of player. Glad we got rid of Torres he was pathetic.

Haha, no prob...sure you didn't see Wright on there instead? I believe he was just 29 and turned 30 in late December. Anyway, he projects as arguably the best overall catcher prospect in the MLB. To have a good catcher is something we haven't had since Piazza and it's been a source of weakness for too long. Regarding the Pagan trade for Torres, I believe it was a sort of swap where they assumed Torres had a bit more upside than Pagan. That turned out to be untrue of course, but up until last season Pagan and Torres were basically the same kind of player. Glad we got rid of Torres he was pathetic.

Torres was a weak bat with a avg glove pagan stole 30 bases a yr had great range in cf
terry collins wanted pagan gone called him a clubhouse cancer to some writer
sf giants win the WS w him shows collins holds unprofessional grudges which r ag. winning in a team sport.
in late 60s gil hodges felt the leadoff hitter must have speed & 20hr power to help the pitching rich hiiting weak mets
he pushed to acquire tommy agee who could do both,the mets won alot of games by 1run in 69 they lost in 68 pagan was agee like before collins took over citifield needs a speedy cf after letting reyes go for zero they trade the only good leadoff guy left who plays cf what 2 jerks pagan laughs last w a ring mets fans deserve better mgt

A debate from BA on the top catching prospect. As a longggg suffering Mets fan, I really hope he turns out to be the next Piazza but, as Jim Callis points out, the injury history really worries me especially for a catcher. I know people will say just move him to another position but we know how that turned out with Piazza and especially Hundley. Can't wait to see him at Citi (still want to say Shea).

Travis d'Arnaud (Mets) vs. Mike Zunino (Mariners): Who's the top catching prospect in baseball?

Once Jesus Montero (Mariners) and Devin Mesoraco (Reds) opened 2012 in the majors, that mantle fell to d'Arnaud, who responded by batting .333/.380/.595 in Triple-A before the Blue Jays sent him to the Mets in December's R.A. Dickey trade. Zunino, who capped a fabulous amateur career by winning the Golden Spikes and BA's College Player of the Year awards before going No. 3 overall in the 2012 draft, entered the debate after hitting .360/.447/.689 and zooming to Double-A in his pro debut.

They have similar tools. They both project as solid hitters with plus power and get the job done with their throwing and receiving skills. Distinguishing between them is really just nit-picking, but the choice here is Zunino.

The game just seems to come a little bit easier to Zunino, whose father Greg played in the minors and has scouted for more than two decades. D'Arnaud's medical history is also a little troublesome, as he has played in just 252 games in three seasons since the Phillies included him in a deal for Roy Halladay. D'Arnaud has missed time with back, concussion, thumb and knee issues.

Back