Mets Complete Dickey Trade

LINY89

I think this is a GREAT deal for the Mets...I question the mental state of the Jay's manage at this point...that's how one sided.

Mets get: John Buck (power hitting veteran catcher), Travid D'Arnaud (#11 prospect in all of baseball, arguably best catching prospect in majors), Noah Syndergaard (Jay's #1 pitching prospect with high 90's heat and a nasty breaking ball)

Jays get: RA Dickey (38 yr old journeyman pitcher), Josh Thole (slap hitting catcher), and Mike Nickeas (one of the worst catchers in the MLB)

This is a robbery by Sandy...well done! The Mets have a great shot to compete in 2014-2015 and beyond.

It looks like Alderson received a great haul for Dickey.

Alderson has used his two biggest trading chips (Dickey and Beltran) and turned them into two top pitching prospects and the best catcher in the minors. We need to keep out fingers crossed since they are still prospects, but the future looks bright. The organization has a lot of very good pitching depth, and now a potential middle of the order hitter in d'Arnaud.. Still need more bats, especially in the OF, which is comically bad. but things are looking bright.

Imagine the players Alderson would have received if those dopes, the Wilpons allowed him to trade Reyes.

By the way, I think this is agood trade for Toronto as well. Dickey will round out a very good rotation there. Also, it isn't every year the AL East is as wide open as it appears to be next year, so they must go for it. I wish Dickey luck.

I think this is a GREAT deal for the Mets...I question the mental state of the Jay's manage at this point...that's how one sided.

Mets get: John Buck (power hitting veteran catcher), Travid D'Arnaud (#11 prospect in all of baseball, arguably best catching prospect in majors), Noah Syndergaard (Jay's #1 pitching prospect with high 90's heat and a nasty breaking ball)

Jays get: RA Dickey (38 yr old journeyman pitcher), Josh Thole (slap hitting catcher), and Mike Nickeas (one of the worst catchers in the MLB)

This is a robbery by Sandy...well done! The Mets have a great shot to compete in 2014-2015 and beyond.

The Jays made this deal because they are trying to win it all next season
We also know that prospects are just that until they prove themselves otherwise
Mets fans should know that better than anyone (ie: Milledge, Martinez, Pelfrey, ... need I go on?)

just hope this isn't another in a long line of trading outstanding pitchers for little in return. (nolan ryan, seaver, tim mcgraw, etc.)

you WIN with pitching. ask the giants who won it two years ago with the worst hitting in baseball. dickey is far from a journeyman. he's on the rise at 38 due to his knuckleball. niekro, whilhelm, etc have been able to thrive into their 40s with that pitch.

that great young catcher the mets are getting is coming off season ending knee surgery last year...and two bulging disks the year before. not great considering the stress catchers work under. alderson has a good track record. i'm still pissed he got wheeler from my giants for a beltran rental. i hope this works, but i'm not uncorking the champagne yet.

just hope this isn't another in a long line of trading outstanding pitchers for little in return. (nolan ryan, seaver, tim mcgraw, etc.)

you WIN with pitching. ask the giants who won it two years ago with the worst hitting in baseball. dickey is far from a journeyman. he's on the rise at 38 due to his knuckleball. niekro, whilhelm, etc have been able to thrive into their 40s with that pitch.

that great young catcher the mets are getting is coming off season ending knee surgery last year...and two bulging disks the year before. not great considering the stress catchers work under. alderson has a good track record. i'm still pissed he got wheeler from my giants for a beltran rental. i hope this works, but i'm not uncorking the champagne yet.

Do you remember when the Mets had the three young stud pitchers that were supposed to carry us for years?
Isringhausen, Pulsipher and Wilson were their names
How did that work out?
No guarantees with young guys no matter how glossy their minor league resumes may be
Until you do it in "the league", it's all a crap shoot

Do you remember when the Mets had the three young stud pitchers that were supposed to carry us for years?
How did that work out?
No guarantees with young guys no matter how glossy their minor league resumes may be

Hey MarkRedmen, let me guess, you are a Yankee fan right. Your posts come across demeaning. Most of the people who follow the minors, gave Alderson top grades for the trade, while d'Arnauld was asked for by many teams.

The Mets were abysmal with Dickey last year. They needed to rebuild in the worst way. I was a proponent of trading Wright as well. If you rebuild, you go all out. That's why I also wonder what Alderson could have received for Reyes. Instead the Wilpons wanted the gate recipts as he chased the batting crown.

We get it, prospects are unknown. I can recite names of guys who were pegged for stardom, but even never made the majors. Atleast the Generation K players had major league careers.(albeit nowhere near expectations). Because of the sh*t owners we have, prospects are we have to look forward to. We are the New York Royals/Pirates (heck, even those teams made expensive moves this offseason). So please excuse us Met fans for being a feeling a little better about the team we root for.

It seems most people love this trade. But as a long suffering Mets fan, I can only go by franchise history when trading for prospects.

Two disastrous ones come to mind:

Seaver for Steve Henderson, Doug Flynn and Pat Zachery

Cone for Ryan Thompson and Jeff Kent (pre-Balco)

A push:

Bonilla for Alex Ochoa (nobody wanted Bonilla, but Ochoa was the five-tool wunderkin that didn't do squat).

In fact the only one that seems positive was:

Mazzilli for Darling

And to call Dickey a journeyman at this point is absurd.

I like the trade, but like many Mets fans I'll miss RA.
Had the pleasure of meeting him at a pregame event this year, and he seems like an authentically nice person. I wish him the best.

That said; I love the prospects were getting in return, but I question how some other moves fit into Sandys plan.
Like, for example, if we are rebuilding and not going to contend for at least 2 more years; then why did we extend David Wrights deal for 8 years? He's in his prime right now, and is never going to have a higher tea value than right now.
Similarly, why did we play out the 2011 season not trading Reyes and then let him walk last winter without making an offer? Agaun, if we are rebuilding than Reyes should have been dealt at the trading deadline.

I don't like to see my team trade it's best players, but that would be a consistent rebuilding strategy. trading some, signing others to long term deals, and letting others walk away without any value in return; is a mixed message to fans.

I like the trade, but like many Mets fans I'll miss RA.
Had the pleasure of meeting him at a pregame event this year, and he seems like an authentically nice person. I wish him the best.

That said; I love the prospects were getting in return, but I question how some other moves fit into Sandys plan.
Like, for example, if we are rebuilding and not going to contend for at least 2 more years; then why did we extend David Wrights deal for 8 years? He's in his prime right now, and is never going to have a higher tea value than right now.
Similarly, why did we play out the 2011 season not trading Reyes and then let him walk last winter without making an offer? Agaun, if we are rebuilding than Reyes should have been dealt at the trading deadline.

I don't like to see my team trade it's best players, but that would be a consistent rebuilding strategy. trading some, signing others to long term deals, and letting others walk away without any value in return; is a mixed message to fans.

A lot of it is PR and gate receipts for a financially-unstable franchise.

Wilpons want Wright to be the franchise position player the Mets have never had. Fill the ballpark when he reaches certain milestones. And without Wright, no one is going to any games in 2013.

As for Reyes, he was the only reason to see the Mets in 2011. Trade him and attendance would have plummeted.

Alderson has used his two biggest trading chips (Dickey and Beltran) and turned them into two top pitching prospects and the best catcher in the minors. We need to keep out fingers crossed since they are still prospects, but the future looks bright. The organization has a lot of very good pitching depth, and now a potential middle of the order hitter in d'Arnaud.. Still need more bats, especially in the OF, which is comically bad. but things are looking bright.

Imagine the players Alderson would have received if those dopes, the Wilpons allowed him to trade Reyes.

By the way, I think this is agood trade for Toronto as well. Dickey will round out a very good rotation there. Also, it isn't every year the AL East is as wide open as it appears to be next year, so they must go for it. I wish Dickey luck.

How is this a good deal for Toronto? I can't see that it is from any angle. Thole is terrible, and Nickeas is even worse...so the centerpiece of the deal is Dickey obviously. This is a 38 year old who had an ERA of 4's, 5's and even 6's before becoming a Met. He is due to either get hurt, or vastly underperform...it's a textbook let down coming up for Toronto. Now he changes leagues and will have to face the O's, Yanks, Rangers, Angels, etc. and will likely get lit up. I will be shocked if his ERA even stays in the 3's for Toronto...this was a journeyman pitcher for almost 10 years and he magically figured it out a few years ago. These kinds of things usually don't last. If he was 23 I would think the trade is much more fair for Toronto.

Mets fans should know that better than anyone (ie: Milledge, Martinez, Pelfrey, ... need I go on?)

Agreed. But does that mean you should not ever get prospects again, since it's a lotto? Just because you lose the lotto one night doesn't mean you will lose again the next night. With prospects, you have to be in it to win it. Go out and get them and eventually some of them will bloom. We have had terrible luck with F-Mart, Milledge, Pelfrey, Gomez, etc. so according to the law of averages, we are bound to hit on a prospect. Keep in mind D'Arnaud was discovered by the Phillies who have much better talent evaluators than we do. I'm confident that at the least D'Arnaud can provide us some pop at catcher (15 HR+) with a decent average (.280+) and a constant at the Catcher's position.

First of all, he is a textbook journeyman pitcher that struck gold in NY. At this point, we must get younger with some energy on this team. Dickey was great for us, but last year was definitely a fluke. No way he keeps playing like this at almost 40 changing leagues to the AL. By the way Debbie Downer, D'Arnaud was checked out by an independent examiner and deemed him to be "totally healthy". He is 23 years old, not a 75 year old with arthritis. Relax. This trade has the potential to turn our franchise around.

How did that work out?

In nearly 10 games Matt Harvey had a 2.74 ERA...Wheeler was considered the better prospect than him...just saying

The injury on the PCL last year didn't require surgery but it's an injury to a knee for a catcher nonetheless. Call me crazy but I would see if you could fliip the guys for Giancarlo Stanton. I just don't like relying on the catcher position for consistent offense. Hope he proves me wrong.

The injury on the PCL last year didn't require surgery but it's an injury to a knee for a catcher nonetheless. Call me crazy but I would see if you could fliip the guys for Giancarlo Stanton. I just don't like relying on the catcher position for consistent offense. Hope he proves me wrong.

I don't think you realize just how good D'Arnaud is. At the AAA level (the only higher level is the MLB) he hit .333 with 16 HR in 64 games with a .600 slugging%. That means he was projected to hit over .300 with over 30 HR and he is also said to have a cannon for an arm and can throw out runners. Most of his HR's were also difficult opposite field ones. He is as close to a sure thing as you can possibly get these days with prospects. I don't think it's a stretch to say his most likely projection is Matt Wieters with a ceiling of Mike Piazza.

The Mets made a great deal. The Blue Jays have gone nuts taking the failures from Miami and now Dickey. I predict Dickey will have no more than one more decent year .

I don't think you realize just how good D'Arnaud is. At the AAA level (the only higher level is the MLB) he hit .333 with 16 HR in 64 games with a .600 slugging%. That means he was projected to hit over .300 with over 30 HR and he is also said to have a cannon for an arm and can throw out runners. Most of his HR's were also difficult opposite field ones. He is as close to a sure thing as you can possibly get these days with prospects. I don't think it's a stretch to say his most likely projection is Matt Wieters with a ceiling of Mike Piazza.

d'Arnaud just turned 30yrs old {not young at all} & coming off knee surgery is very scary since catching ruins the
knees asked anyone who played the position.
rhp noah syndergard better be good too bec, travis might have a short mlb career
its a clear salary dump by broke Wilponzis who cant build a leggo house w out burning it down

d'Arnaud just turned 30yrs old {not young at all} & coming off knee surgery is very scary since catching ruins the
rhp noah syndergard better be good too bec, travis might have a short mlb career
its a clear salary dump by broke Wilponzis who cant build a leggo house w out burning it down

Uh...he's 23. He is also currently 100% healthy and didn't sustain any serious injuries. He didn't even need surgery. He's 23 not 70 his knees will be just as healthy as other catchers.

How is this a good deal for Toronto? I can't see that it is from any angle. Thole is terrible, and Nickeas is even worse...so the centerpiece of the deal is Dickey obviously. This is a 38 year old who had an ERA of 4's, 5's and even 6's before becoming a Met. He is due to either get hurt, or vastly underperform...it's a textbook let down coming up for Toronto. Now he changes leagues and will have to face the O's, Yanks, Rangers, Angels, etc. and will likely get lit up. I will be shocked if his ERA even stays in the 3's for Toronto...this was a journeyman pitcher for almost 10 years and he magically figured it out a few years ago. These kinds of things usually don't last. If he was 23 I would think the trade is much more fair for Toronto.

I'm a long time suffering Mets fan. After Villanova's OT defeat of STJ, after another Mets dismal season, after the Jets seaosn was demolished in one minute vs New england and never recovered, my son asked, "Dad, why do all the teams we root for do so badly?"

I am bi-polar about this trade. I go back a long way with the Mets. Amos Otis for Joe Foy, Nolan Ryan for Jim Fregosi was youth for veterans - we know how those turned out. Seaver for a bunch of young Reds players, none turned out to be more than just serviceable - Zachary, Norman, Henderson, and a second baseman whose name escapes me.

You cannot devalue Dickey as a journeyman. He has developed a pitch that has never been thrown before with such velocity. Knuckleballers fluttered in the 60s and 70s (mph). Dickey throws his in the 80s, adn with more precision than his predecessors, who often have no idea where it's going. With today's conditioning, he may have as many as 7-10 more years in his arm, and based on the past three seasons could perform at the highest level. I do think however that a knuckleballer is best suited for an outdoor stadium, where factors such as the wind and humidity affect the break of the pitch.

Prospects in baseball are the hardest to assess. Piazza was a 26th round draft choice. Many players weree drafted at one position and get to the bigs as another. Success at any level doesn't guarantee success at the next. There are many can't miss prospects who miss - actually most do.

Alderson is playing the best hand he can play. The Wilpons can't afford to run a top notch big city franchise. It's ridiculous that the Mets are the only big league team not to sign a major league free agent this off season. I was all set to buy a great holiday 4 pack deal, but also saw what their starting outfield figures to be, and it looks like shades of 2009 when as Stengel said, you can't tell the players without a scorecard.

I think he did the best he could do in return for Dickey. My guess is Thole handles Dickey well, an important aspect for a knuckleballer. If the prospects turn into all stars, its a great trade. If the simply become average players or busts while Dickey performs at the level fo the past three seasons, well, "Meet the Mets, meet the meets, step right up and.."

Uh...he's 23. He is also currently 100% healthy and didn't sustain any serious injuries. He didn't even need surgery. He's 23 not 70 his knees will be just as healthy as other catchers.

My outside guess is that if D'Arnaud turns out to be a big time hitter, he will change positions if his knees act up at all. As a side note, you get a plus 1 one for being a Mets fan. I'm a harsh critic of you, but Mets fans have to stick together. If you weren't so strong an atheist, I'd have given you a plus 3 (jussst kidding, let's not go there). Well, if you can hope in the Mets, anything is possible I guess.

Back