Meet the SJU team tonight at Filmore's

Let's calm down. I hope he stays, and it appears that he will, but do you really think that he would say that he is entering the portal tomorrow at an event like this.
What RJ is saying is what's been expressed to me within the last month by someone who is very close to him. He's one of these kids who has strong family and not taking guidance from a handler putting things in his ear about getting more points, minutes, or being the featured player. RJ to my knowledge is not only very happy, so is his dad.

Listen to Rick, and he often references a kid's mom or dad. For example, when Jordan was considering SJU last year, Rick said he spoke to his dad and said,"Why would Jordan want to transfer here? A Wharton degree is golden and means so much that he is better staying put." With Rick's help they worked it out so Jordan continues to take courses at UPenn and will receive a degree there as well.

This is just one example of what helps make a kid PHD, while not essential, but having involved family guiding and caring for them. Another example is Zuby's family, who were in Charleston, the BET, and a few other games - Mom, Dad, multiple siblings.

Rick seriously cares about each kid, even the ones who leave. I'm sure that when Glenn expressed the kind of situation he wants, Rick supported his decision to leave. He has said over and over that most of his kids want to help their families with their NIL $$.

When a coach really cares, and is totally focused on players improving, kids buy in. In his era of one year contracts, it's inevitable that kids who love it here still may leave for more money or a better playing situation for them.

Again, RJ is sold on St. John’s, even if many here were hoping he'd leave.

What RJ is saying is what's been expressed to me within the last month by someone who is very close to him. He's one of these kids who has strong family and not taking guidance from a handler putting things in his ear about getting more points, minutes, or being the featured player. RJ to my knowledge is not only very happy, so is his dad.

Listen to Rick, and he often references a kid's mom or dad. For example, when Jordan was considering SJU last year, Rick said he spoke to his dad and said,"Why would Jordan want to transfer here? A Wharton degree is golden and means so much that he is better staying put." With Rick's help they worked it out so Jordan continues to take courses at UPenn and will receive a degree there as well.

This is just one example of what helps make a kid PHD, while not essential, but having involved family guiding and caring for them. Another example is Zuby's family, who were in Charleston, the BET, and a few other games - Mom, Dad, multiple siblings.

Rick seriously cares about each kid, even the ones who leave. I'm sure that when Glenn expressed the kind of situation he wants, Rick supported his decision to leave. He has said over and over that most of his kids want to help their families with their NIL $$.

When a coach really cares, and is totally focused on players improving, kids buy in. In his era of one year contracts, it's inevitable that kids who love it here still may leave for more money or a better playing situation for them.

His play was absolutely maddening at points, but I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to keep a guy that talented with a year of the Pitino system under his belt.

His play was absolutely maddening at points, but I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to keep a guy that talented with a year of the Pitino system under his belt.
in the middle of the season, i too felt i was fine if he left. but he did start to turn the corner the last few weeks.

plus, RP has been consistent with saying the RJ is a pro. so yeah, don't see why we'd let someone with pro potential leave.

what he requires most is watching film and practicing. he needs to start 'seeing' the court and how plays are unfolding. then figure out how to best approach vs trying force everything in the lane.

I'm happy that he is staying. I believe that he has elite level athleticism and that there is no one better than Rick Pitino to help harness that into a polished finished product. I was just pointing out that the default is that kids will tell the fans what they want to hear at an event like this and it doesn't necessary mean that it is truth.

I'm happy that he is staying. I believe that he has elite level athleticism and that there is no one better than Rick Pitino to help harness that into a polished finished product. I was just pointing out that the default is that kids will tell the fans what they want to hear at an event like this and it doesn't necessary mean that it is truth.
I didn't take your post to be a shot at anyone. You're a great fan and a great poster

With all the money players can get thru NIL, I hope they correctly add the value of the individual player development that a HOF coach provides daily. If they have aspirations to play professionally, what better place than SJU?
If you have a family to support a year is an eternity. If your parents are working 60 hours a week and living week to week, you have a different perspective.

in the middle of the season, i too felt i was fine if he left. but he did start to turn the corner the last few weeks.

plus, RP has been consistent with saying the RJ is a pro. so yeah, don't see why we'd let someone with pro potential leave.

what he requires most is watching film and practicing. he needs to start 'seeing' the court and how plays are unfolding. then figure out how to best approach vs trying force everything in the lane.
To be fair to you in the beginning of the season you told me you believed he was a one and done player. :)

Rick certainly has more data based on daily practice, more pstience, and an eye to assess incremental improvement that we mistly miss. It's what makes him a great coach and teacher. Rick gave just about every roster player a chance to prove they belonged in the rotation.

Certainly some guys had a longer leash, such as Jenkins, Soriano, and Ledlum. But no one can really complain that Rick didn't give them a ahot.

On that note, i love your passion as a fan for this program. It's funny how we met (with "your seat" next to mine at CA a few seasons ago) saw each other at the Sunrise Fl game and in Charleston. Plus i appreciate how you shared your sports marketing expertise with Cragg to help our program.

Last edited:
With all the money players can get thru NIL, I hope they correctly add the value of the individual player development that a HOF coach provides daily. If they have aspirations to play professionally, what better place than SJU?
That's Rick's pitch to kids who want to come here. Essentially he says, "You may be able to get $50,000 more somewhere else, five years from now with how iI will help you improve, $50,000 will be nothing compare to what you could make playing in the NBA."

Back