Math Skills / Walter E. Williams

jerseyshorejohnny

Realize math isn't everyone's "cup of tea" but thought this article was interesting.

Not that anyone wasn't aware of the "problem" but there is a painful need to bring kids up to speed in this hyper competitive job market.

I realize I risk being stoned, but I think St. John's should require all students to take 4 course in the subject in order to graduate. St. John's, after all is a university, which should be preparing students to compete in the marketplace.

IMO, this is especially critical for those that enter St. John's with less than 500 on the Math section of their SAT's. If these young men and women don't have the skills when they enter St. John's, they should be proficient in the subject matter when they graduate.

Today, may kids at most schools are taking courses that are relatively worthless when it comes to obtaining a job. Arguably, while these courses provide a feel good experience for the student, they are not worth the time or money invested.

http://news.investors.com/article/601897/201202221735/us-students-behind-in-math.htm

Realize math isn't everyone's "cup of tea" but thought this article was interesting.

Not that anyone wasn't aware of the "problem" but there is a painful need to bring kids up to speed in this hyper competitive job market.

I realize I risk being stoned, but I think St. John's should require all students to take 4 course in the subject in order to graduate. St. John's, after all is a university, which should be preparing students to compete in the marketplace.

IMO, this is especially critical for those that enter St. John's with less than 500 on the Math section of their SAT's. If these young men and women don't have the skills when they enter St. John's, they should be proficient in the subject matter when they graduate.

Today, may kids at most schools are taking courses that are relatively worthless when it comes to obtaining a job. Arguably, while these courses provide a feel good experience for the student, they are not worth the time or money invested.

http://news.investors.com/article/601897/201202221735/us-students-behind-in-math.htm

My brother-in-law majored in Theoretical Physics. Guess I'm going to have to enlist his help at an early age to tutor my two boys...

Your family certainly doesn't lack brain power !  

Lol. Believe it or not, he got bored with theoretical Physics after getting his masters and dropped out of the phD program to work on applying to med school. My other brother-in-law is a VP at Deutchebank. Thankfully, my family even extended is all doing well and have all been successful in various ventures. Very lucky.

Back