Maradona

TX Redman

RIP Diego Maradona. The greatest ever. Sad day, he was only 60. Played hard, lived hard. Reminds me of the George Best quote "...spent a lot of money on birds and booze... the rest he just squandered". He was a human highlight reel. Begrudgers will bring up the Hand of God goal, but in the same game:

Last edited:
Paolo Rossi today joined Diego and Johann and are playing the beautiful game in the sky. Paolo was only 64. Like Diego, he led a checkered life and will be best remembered for a wonderful hat-trick against Brazil in the QF's in Spain '82. That Brazilian team featured Zico, Scorates and Falcao and were mesmerizing to watch. Along came Paolo and the unfancied Italian team pulled off a huge upset. They went on to win the WC. Ciao Paolo!

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear. I am by no means a soccer fan but remember being caught up the year Italy won and it seemed like Rossi scored almost all their goals. RIP

The situation around Rossi in the 1982 WC was surreal. He had been banned for 2 years starting in 1980 for alleged match fixing. He only came back to the Italian squad a few weeks before the WC - had not played in 2 years and certainly was not sharp. The Italians were dire in the group stages in Spain (3 draws) and scraped to the knock-out rounds. Everyone loved that wonderful Brazilian team but cometh the hour, cometh the man. Hat-trick for Paolo, Brazil out. Two more Rossi goals put Poland out in the Semi's and he opened the scoring vs W. Germany in the Final. Italy won 3-1 and Paolo got the Golden Boot, 6 goals. Fantastico!

I remember some of the 1982 WC like yesterday. The Brazilian team were so good. Also memorable for Schumacher almost killing Patrick Battiston. And the infamous 0-0 draw between Germany & Austria.

RIP Paolo.

Back