Lav Sounds Optimistic

IMHO, Lavin came here because he truly thought the SJU brand was able to be returned to a level of prominence in college BB.. Last year's tremendous turnaround with Roberts' players was just a start.. Lavin's health issues , diagnosed in the fall of 2010 did not deter him from coaching that team for the entire season.

It doesn't seem logical that he would abandon that mission at this time... I also believe Lavin intends to win a NCAA Championship for St. John's. That is his goal and can you imagine the Ticker Tape parade that would garner here in NYC..

I've heard the rumors out here in lalaland, even shared a very specific one with a couple of posters in PM. That said with what little I know about him, I simply can not see Lavin walking away from St Johns after how this year has gone. The school, players, staff and fans have stood behind him, well besides a few posters; ), in a very difficult time. I think it would have been more likely that he'd listen to offers if he had been on the bench all year teaching, motivating and coaching the kids he recruited to join him on this journey but to leave after a year like this with so much more work to do, it just doesn't seem like that would be in his nature. He doesn't seem like the type of guy to be happy with an incomplete grade.

The key word is "rumors".
A rumor is very easy to start. The only thing that counts in a rumor is the source.
Rumors like Lavin spending a lot of time recruiting in California so he can have "secret discussions" with USC.
Rumors like his wife wants the Hollywood exposure again.
Romors like Marco Baldi's last post on BEB that there was a "handshake agreement" with the Hurley brothers to take over SJ.
Rumors like Nurideen Lindsey left SJ because Lavin was not coaching him----so he transfers to Rider to play for a coach I would have to Google and still not know who he is.
Rumors like Malik Stith would be a better student manager than a player.

Whatever happens happens and I am sure if any of the rumors are true most of you willbe back here to share your personal love for the program.

I spoke to someone Wednesday evening who I know to have been a friend of Lavin and that friendship predates St.John's.

I asked the individual about Lavin returning and he said that Lavin has looked him in the eyes more than once and told him he will be back at St.John's next year. I do not know what more can be said.

I spoke to someone Wednesday evening who I know to have been a friend of Lavin and that friendship predates St.John's.

I asked the individual about Lavin returning and he said that Lavin has looked him in the eyes more than once and told him he will be back at St.John's next year. I do not know what more can be said.

Nothing else needs to be said. Nothing needed to be said in the first place. There have been no indications of anything other than a return to the sidelines, and anything to the contrary is just garbage that someone has made up.

I hope Lavin coaches next season. That should be our main concern 

I hope we have some more players for him to coach. A secondary concern I know but the recruiting news isn't exactly encouraging.so far.

My gut feeling is he has coached his last game for STJ.

If he knowingly has, then he lied to Malik Branch.
Lav's no liar-he'll be back.

But, did he lie to jamal Branch?

I hope we have some more players for him to coach. A secondary concern I know but the recruiting news isn't exactly encouraging.so far.

????????????

OTIS, I agree with you and a couple of people that Lavin associates with here in NYC have said the same thing. Two of the biggest boosters I know personally have said the same.

????????????

His name is Jamal Branch not Malik Branch.

????????????

His name is Jamal Branch not Malik Branch.

Woops, I'm still laughing.

OTIS, I agree with you and a couple of people that Lavin associates with here in NYC have said the same thing. Two of the biggest boosters I know personally have said the same.

I tend to agree with you however I must say that I heard from a former SID of St. John's that he "believed" Lavin would not be back. Again remember the word "believe".
Take it for what it's worth. If you sign a non disclosure I will give you the name.

I tend to agree with you however I must say that I heard from a former SID of St. John's that he "believed" Lavin would not be back. Again remember the word "believe".
Take it for what it's worth. If you sign a non disclosure I will give you the name.

See, now I believe coach will be back... but based on comments like that I don't understand how anyone on the board can yell and scream at the guys who do question if coach is returning.
It's not that far fetched a possibility. Everyone's entitled to an opinion. And it's incorrect to say the rumors are completely baseless.

And btw, Baldi didn't start the Hurley rumor. A writer for a Staten Island or NJ paper went public with it first. I want to say the Bergen Record, but not sure.

I believe you are a clairvoyant and have been in touch with Bill Esposito.

2 thoughts. First as mentioned earlier. Knowing Branch got screwed with Turgeon going to Maryland and him not liking his situation there is no way on the world that he didn't ask Lavin for assurances that if he were to commit here that he wanted to make sure Lavin would be the one coaching him.

Lavin is a stand up guy and I fully understand how other coaches can be slimy or just try to sell a recruit but it's already been documented in the papers that when Lavin recruits he is so confident in himself he actually tells recruits good things about the schools he is recruiting against ( I think it was Kyle Anderson which this was in the papers about at the time ).

So when factoring that in and taking away the emotion of being a fan who lives day to day with the team realistically I don't see any way possible that Lavin would ever steer Branch wrong. He just wouldn't ever screw over a kid like that knowing he already got a raw deal the first time.

My 2nd thought is relating this to investing. One of the best ways to investing is by being a contrarian. The public is wrong probably 90% of the time. When people start hearing all sorts of rumors from friends of theirs who aren't St Johns fans or who don't follow the team on a day to day basis but all of the sudden all their rumors sound the same then I'm relatively sure they are all wrong.

Heck for all we know they could all have gotten the same rumor from reading Bobre on this site  :) 

Back