Lav Sounds Optimistic

ccnobz

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/02/16/johnnies-take-a-recruiting-hit-as-shepard-heads-to-san-diego-state/#more-67635

It's in Lavin's nature to be optimistic and it's one of his great strengths because it tends to be contagious. 

I hope Lavin coaches next season. That should be our main concern 

I hope we have some more players for him to coach. A secondary concern I know but the recruiting news isn't exactly encouraging.so far.

I hope we have some more players for him to coach. A secondary concern I know but the recruiting news isn't exactly encouraging.so far.

My gut feeling is he has coached his last game for STJ.

wow, I don't feel that way at all, but if that's true, it's too bad, and not good all around 

If he knowingly has, then he lied to Malik Branch.
Lav's no liar-he'll be back.

Although he had some medical and recruiting setbacks, he is cancer free. Hes recruiting his butt off, which shows his dedication to this program. Not only is he not a liar but hes not a quitter. He ll be back

That's what i was saying in another thread...the guy has a solid reputation, he is not going to lie to...well everyone, and ruin his reputation...I feel that if he really wanted to he could be coaching on the bench right now, however he realizes the importance of this recruiting class and feels doing this whole "GM" thing is more beneficial for the program....

I do not see an ounce of evidence in this article that hints to him not returning next year

TIS brought up a good point that I was actually thinking about on my commute to school this morning. Jamal Branch symbolizes, what I hope, is hope! I know I am normally a cynic, but lets not forget, this is a top 50 recruit from a year ago, that was playing in his home state of Texas for a Big 12 program (albeit TAM has struggled this year). This kid could have stayed there and helped revamp that program or could have went to a lot of other schools. I am sure many top tier schools would have no problem taking a top 50 PG who has 3.5 years under his belt and a year of playing/practicing at the d1 level. Branch chose SJU for a reason. He clearly believes in Lavin and this team. It might help SJU is a fit sicne we really have no PG play but still he could have found another place. With him, Harrison and Harkless (assuming he stays) we have one of the best 1,2,3 lineups in the country next year. The problem is, without mroe recruits we are still small and have no depth. We need 2 big guys and I think even some good JUCOs will suffice with the talent we have from the 1-3 positions next year.

In Lavin I trust, but I am pretty worried right now 

TIS brought up a good point that I was actually thinking about on my commute to school this morning. Jamal Branch symbolizes, what I hope, is hope! I know I am normally a cynic, but lets not forget, this is a top 50 recruit from a year ago, that was playing in his home state of Texas for a Big 12 program (albeit TAM has struggled this year). This kid could have stayed there and helped revamp that program or could have went to a lot of other schools. I am sure many top tier schools would have no problem taking a top 50 PG who has 3.5 years under his belt and a year of playing/practicing at the d1 level. Branch chose SJU for a reason. He clearly believes in Lavin and this team. It might help SJU is a fit sicne we really have no PG play but still he could have found another place. With him, Harrison and Harkless (assuming he stays) we have one of the best 1,2,3 lineups in the country next year. The problem is, without mroe recruits we are still small and have no depth. We need 2 big guys and I think even some good JUCOs will suffice with the talent we have from the 1-3 positions next year.

In Lavin I trust, but I am pretty worried right now 

Very good post Upstate. I too am feeling a little worried and anxious right now. But, what you said is absolutely true. With Branch, Harrison and Harkless our 1,2 and 3 spots will be as good as any team in the country next year. You could even say our 4 spot will be also if we can get a center because then Gift can play Power Forward instead of Center where he should be much more effective especially with a year under his belt. It's that 5 spot and depth at the 4 and 5 that wee need. but the 1,2 and 3 are covered. Recruiting is Lavins forte though so I have to think that he'll come through. He promised a top 10 class. I don't think that's possible now unles he lands every other player that we're targeting, but, I don't think he would publicly say that if he didn't have some kids in the bag already. I don't think he would put himself out there like that with the possibility of being totally embarassed if he doesn't deliver.

MG, to echo your statement, while coaches can throw around garbage to appease fans (ie Rex Ryan, luckily I am a Giants fan) I really don't think Lavin is like that. I thought Lavin was a good hire, but the more and more I listened to him speak last year I grew fonder of him. His ability to communicate with people is amazing and I think he knows what he is doing and wouldn't say stupidity. He could easily say due to my illness it was tough to recruit but he is not. I think he will deliver something and we became spoiled in his one class and there has been a lot going on, but if you told any of us when he was hired we would have 4 top 100 kids and a damn close top 100 (Greene) and then fill the voids with even some ok talent or JUCOs we would be ecstatic. Not to mention the addition of Branch so 5 top 100 kids. There will be a lot of talent, unfortunately it is not staggered.

You also have to wonder the pressure he is under though. Kids like Harkless (granted he signed before anyone else), Harrison and Pointer expected a better flow of recruits, and Lavin might feel pressure to deliver for them. Wht I really don't get, is how someone like Sampson or Obekpa dont want to come here for sure. Obekpa is a local kid and Sampson obviously committed last year for a reason. It is pretty clear to see if they come to SJU they will be starters on a team that with them is a top 20 team no question. There is a lot to be said to playing in the glory of MSG for a great SJU team. Granted, some of those schools they are looking at have great cbb environments, but owning the Garden, as Jeremy Lin is proving, is something more special than you can do anywhere else, and they wont be able to do that somewhere else. 

There is a lot to be said to playing in the glory of MSG for a great SJU team. Granted, some of those schools they are looking at have great cbb environments, but owning the Garden, as Jeremy Lin is proving, is something more special than you can do anywhere else, and they wont be able to do that somewhere else. 

Me and a friend of mine were discussing this same point yesterday...You think Lin would be getting this much hype if he were with Golden State or whatever?? If you succeed and do well in NYC, people will know...If you do well in Waco Texas, not so much

I do not see an ounce of evidence in this article that hints to him not returning next year

Of course these is no evidence to that fact. Because it's utter nonsense and about as lame a post as i've seen on this board.

This time next year we will be on our way to a top 5 finish in the Big East with lav runnin' the show. B)

I've heard the rumors out here in lalaland, even shared a very specific one with a couple of posters in PM. That said with what little I know about him, I simply can not see Lavin walking away from St Johns after how this year has gone. The school, players, staff and fans have stood behind him, well besides a few posters; ), in a very difficult time. I think it would have been more likely that he'd listen to offers if he had been on the bench all year teaching, motivating and coaching the kids he recruited to join him on this journey but to leave after a year like this with so much more work to do, it just doesn't seem like that would be in his nature. He doesn't seem like the type of guy to be happy with an incomplete grade.

Me either, it's just a hunch.

Would it be the 1st time a coach has lied to a player? Things change , i'm just not sold he will be back next season-- i hope i'm wrong.

Coach sounds optimistic? No kidding. A head coach in college basketball is like a one man PR machine.
I really believe coach to be an upstanding, and honest, man; but his job is to put a positive spin on things. It helps with recruits, it helps with alumni donations, it helps sell tickets ....

I still think we'll get the 3 or 4 recruits we need to compete next season. Probably 1 of Obekpa/Sampson, a JUCO big man, and sg. And that will be enough to cover some of the depth issues from this season.

But don't lose sight of the fact that part of coach's job is to sound optimistic publicly. It's in his personality, but it's also his job.

Back