Ladies #3 Seed

MarkRedman

#3 seed in "Fresno" region
#1 seed in our region is Stanford
Playing Creighton on Sunday at 5 PM in Norman, OK
Would likely play Oklahoma (seeded # 6) in 2nd round in Norman
Doesn't seem fair that a 3 seed would have to play a road game against a lower seeded team 
Looks like a hose job to me!!

Will face Creighton. Big-time seeding for the program.

Would face Oklahoma-Michigan winner in second round.

Happens all the time in women's hoops. The sites are predermined based on who will draw fans.

It could have been worse. They were projected to go to Spokane and possibly play Gonzaga, which would have been a 10 or an 11.

Happens all the time in women's hoops. The sites are predermined based on who will draw fans.

It could have been worse. They were projected to go to Spokane and possibly play Gonzaga, which would have been a 10 or an 11.

I understand that the sites are determined in advance
But I maintain that a #6 seed should not be given a home game against a #3 seed
To be fair, they should have put Oklahoma in a different region
I do understand, however, that it's all about the almighty dollar
Allowing Oklahoma to play in Norman boosts attendance and revenue
It's just not fair. If anyone should have the home court advantage, it should be the higher seeded team

Mark,

they pick the sites because because the home team will draw there. they don't want just 500 people there. Most fans in women's hoops won't travel.

LSU is hosting as a 5; DePaul and Vanderbilt as a 7; Ohio State as an 8; ISU as a 10; Gonzaga as an 11; Ark-Little Rock as a 14. Counting OU that's half the sites.

Congrats ladies on a nice high seeding, but it would have been nice if they could play a little closer to home and if they advance to the second round for the third straight season they would be playing their opponent on the opponent's  home court.
Sometimes life is just not fair but we must overcome and achieve.

Congrats to the Ladies! Great job getting a 3 seed! It would be nicer if they were closer to home but they can handle Oklahoma in Norman...I think they can beat Duke as well and the Stanford game would be great...Let's just get there first and this team definitely can...They are a dangerous team that is playing very well right now...Good luck Ladies! Go make a nice run in the Tourney!

Hope they makeout better than the men in 1980 having to play Purdue at Purdue

SI writer picks Lady Johnnies to make the final four:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/richard_deitsch/03/13/NCAA.womens.bracket/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a4

Excuse me, but ....

Schools BID for right to host a first/second round site. I've heard Arico say that this is the 3rd year St John's has had to play on someone else's home floor and they have lost the last two times. What I wonder is if St John's has ever bid to host a site? If not, why?

Attendance, FYI:

1) since 2000, the Big 12 has the largest attendance of conferences in the NCAA

2) For 10/11, OU ranked 14th in D1 attendance with an average for home games of 5490. St John's is not listed in the top 50 and #50 is Pittsburgh with an average of 2,614.

3) Assumption: a school doesn't want to loose money hosting and thus an athletic department may well be loath to bid even if it means putting their team at a potential disadvantage.

The chicken and the egg? Which comes first: increasing attendance to get better support from the AD or getting the AD to step up to help build the program? It is probably more complicated than that but a program which earns a rank as a 3 perhaps needs to take a hard look at improving how it is treated at home.

First, good luck to your Oklahoma Sooners, except for when they play St. John's

The AD at St. John's has stepped up to help build the program...That's why the Ladies program has made such strides over the last several years and has become a consistent winner...As a result, the program has gotten more publicity and attendance is slowly increasing...That said, this is New York - there are a couple of more options here than in Norman, OK...This is a pro sports town first and teams like the Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks, Rangers, Islanders, etc. get more publicity than the Women's program at St. John's...It's going to take several years of being a top ranked team for the Ladies program to really make a mark on NYC

Oklahoma has a good following and congrats on that but that is largely because there is nothing else there except for Oklahoma and Oklahoma St....They have built up a following over the years before the Oklahoma City Thunder got there and they seem to have great fans there...Comparing it to the St. John's Women's program in NYC is a little like comparing apples and oranges...I'm sure Coach KBA knows this and understands why but she can still be frustrated a bit by it and express that...It is what it is

The AD at St. John's has stepped up to help build the program...That's why the Ladies program has made such strides over the last several years and has become a consistent winner...As a result, the program has gotten more publicity and attendance is slowly increasing...That said, this is New York - there are a couple of more options here than in Norman, OK...This is a pro sports town first and teams like the Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks, Rangers, Islanders, etc. get more publicity than the Women's program at St. John's...It's going to take several years of being a top ranked team for the Ladies program to really make a mark on NYC

Oklahoma has a good following and congrats on that but that is largely because there is nothing else there except for Oklahoma and Oklahoma St....They have built up a following over the years before the Oklahoma City Thunder got there and they seem to have great fans there...Comparing it to the St. John's Women's program in NYC is a little like comparing apples and oranges...I'm sure Coach KBA knows this and understands why but she can still be frustrated a bit by it and express that...It is what it is

NYMASE please tell me what the AD has done to help the women's program?
As far as I am concerned the improvement has been solely for 2 reasons.
1. KBA is a great coach who has put together a very good staff which gets better every year.
2. Dorms, has allowed parents who were previously fearful of sending their daughters to NY to do so.

St. John's was selected by the NCAA to be a host for next year's women's tournament.....maybe we'll get a home game (or two) next year.....

NYMASE please tell me what the AD has done to help the women's program?
As far as I am concerned the improvement has been solely for 2 reasons.
1. KBA is a great coach who has put together a very good staff which gets better every year.
2. Dorms, has allowed parents who were previously fearful of sending their daughters to NY to do so.

Well he has helped them keep Coach KBA and pay her and her staff....He has helped promote the program and raise it's profile while putting money into the program...He's helped get the NCAA tournament to come to St. John's next year which is pretty big for St. John's women basketball...A lot of that is due to what Coach KBA has done and winning

But what else can he do to help? Perhaps I'm unaware of the fact that Monasch is not helping the program as much as he should???

Back