Islanders fire Trotz

The only thing I can thing I can think is that he was angling for a big $$$ extension & Lou said FU. Love him as a coach but I think he did a disservice to Wally & Bellows...move on we have the talent...Need to hire a young aggressive coach

A GM won't fire himself, so buys himself time by firing the coach. They are probably both at fault. Trotz needed to open up the offense and let young guys play through their defensive mistakes, and Lou needs to stop signing guys to monster contracts twice that of what every other team would pay.

I'm not the rabid fan I was when I was younger, so not even sure who would fit the bill of a young aggressive coach. But I beg of you, no retreads.

I stopped following hockey closely a long time ago but still consider myself an Islanders fan and this season was a disappointment. Hopefully they can turn it around next year but there are a lot of good teams and the game is becoming more offensive so I guess that is the direction to head with a new coach.

Lou L has a long history of firing his coaches real quick even on eve of the playoffs one time so not unusual for him to sack a good coach with a record of like 150-100 with the Islanders even after a season where they opened with 13 road games and when they got home we’re decimated by Covid.

Any potential names come to mind when you think of the New York Islanders replacing Barry Trotz? Do you think they hire from within (Lane Lambert) or look elsewhere? -- @cbentivenga1472

It's impossible for anyone to say they know where the Islanders might turn for their next coach after firing Barry Trotz on Monday because general manager Lou Lamoriello does not allow for leaks of information. There can only be speculation, including as to the full scope of why Trotz was fired. Lamoriello said it was because he feels the Islanders need a new voice. There could be more to it than that, but he wasn't going there Monday. OK, so let's stick with what Lamoriello said. A new voice. Who has it?

You bring up Lambert. He's been an associate under Trotz the past three seasons. His voice wouldn't be new because the players know him well, but Lambert has also been long considered a future NHL coach. Maybe Lamoriello and the Islanders would feel his voice is new enough because it would be coming from Lambert the coach instead of Lambert the associate. The role matters. My speculation is that Lambert is a candidate. I hesitate to call him a favorite at this point because we just don't know.

Lamoriello worked with Mike Babcock when they were with the Toronto Maple Leafs. Lamoriello was named the Maple Leafs general manager on July 23, 2015, more than two months after Babcock was hired as coach (May 10, 2015). Babcock hasn't coached in the NHL since getting fired by Toronto on Nov. 20, 2019, 18 months after Lamoriello left the Maple Leafs and came to the Islanders. But he raves about Lamoriello and the relationship they had in Toronto and still have. Again, pure speculation, but Babcock is likely a candidate.

What about Brent Thompson, who is in his ninth season coaching Bridgeport, New York's American Hockey League affiliate? Bridgeport is in the second round of the Calder Cup Playoffs. Thompson has had success with a lot of players who have graduated to the Islanders and other NHL teams. It wouldn't be shocking if Lamoriello thought enough of Thompson to make him an NHL coach.

There are certainly other veteran NHL coaches to consider, including Paul Maurice, John Tortorella, Alain Vigneault and potentially Bruce Boudreau, depending on what happens between him and the Vancouver Canucks. I wonder if Lamoriello would look at former Rangers coach David Quinn as a candidate. Quinn is set to coach the United States in the 2022 IIHF World Championship after coaching Team USA at the 2022 Beijing Olympics.

There are a lot of coaches to consider, some of whom I'm not even mentioning here, but don't expect any leaks for which way the Islanders might be leaning.

Islanders lose 1-0 to Flyers in an OT shootout. Fans who went to a hockey game at UBS Arena saw a soccer game break out.

Back