Is there any chance...

...that Steve Lavin comes back to coach this Saturday vs. UCLA? I am guessing "no", but would love to hear thoughts by the rest of the posters...

I think the better Q is will he ever coach another game for STJ 

Where's he gonna go? Do you have any reason to believe hes leaving?

Zero chance hes not on the bench for us next season.

I have heard rumors, he is doing the right thing recruiting for the program but noone can be sure he will be back next season.

That's so ridiculous.. So he is going to go out and lie to recruits to get them to sign LOI's and once he sets up next years team, he is going to be like, "okay I'm retiring"? That would actually hurt STJ and not benefit them in any way...Think logically about what you're saying there

I don't believe any of these rumors. But it's not as ridiculous as you make it out to be. In most of the rumors he wouldn't be retiring but taking a head coaching job out west. Did Ed Cooley recruit for Fairfield last year before leaving for PC ? He sure did. Did Mark Turgeon give everyone at Texas AM notice he was going to leave for Maryland? No, no he did not. And in fact our own new recruit, J Branch, got "lied to" as you would put it.

It's all in the game. Coaches don't want to lie to recruits, but they're looking out for themselves.

With that said - minus something catastrophic that we haven't heard of - there is no way I don't see coach returning.

Ok, were any of the coaches you have mentioned remotely in the same sitch as coach lav?? or did they go on to a better coaching position??? They took coaching jobs after they had already recruited for their previous team. Not comparing apples to apples at all.

Never say never, coaches move all the time. Keep an eye on the USC situation, they have been brutal this season. Plus Kevin O'neill doesn't stay anywhere for too long. Lav is a West Coast guy and if this job opened he could be tempted. Let's hope not. 

...that Steve Lavin comes back to coach this Saturday vs. UCLA? I am guessing "no", but would love to hear thoughts by the rest of the posters...

I have heard rumors, he is doing the right thing recruiting for the program but noone can be sure he will be back next season.

That's so ridiculous.. So he is going to go out and lie to recruits to get them to sign LOI's and once he sets up next years team, he is going to be like, "okay I'm retiring"? That would actually hurt STJ and not benefit them in any way...Think logically about what you're saying there

It's not ridiculous, get your head out of the sand

I will go with the "actual" quotes by Lavin saying he is definitely going to return, then rumors from your "sources"

I will go with the "actual" quotes by Lavin saying he is definitely going to return, then rumors from your "sources"

That's fair and I will hate if he leaves-- but it's not ridiculous to think he may not coach next season.

That's fair and I will hate if he leaves-- but it's not ridiculous to think he may not coach next season.

I agree. I think right now he has every intention of coming back, and that's why he says he is...obviously if the cancer returns or whatever, he wouldn't coach...however I also don't believe that he wouldnt be coming back because of another coaching opportunity as someone else stated

I don't think he will be on the sidelines for UCLA. However I would look for him to be in the skybox. These are the type of games that Lavin is trying to build the program on. ie. high profile national games. Next year he will have a full squad to play them, which will help anyone's health.

I don't believe any of these rumors. But it's not as ridiculous as you make it out to be. In most of the rumors he wouldn't be retiring but taking a head coaching job out west. Did Ed Cooley recruit for Fairfield last year before leaving for PC ? He sure did. Did Mark Turgeon give everyone at Texas AM notice he was going to leave for Maryland? No, no he did not. And in fact our own new recruit, J Branch, got "lied to" as you would put it.

It's all in the game. Coaches don't want to lie to recruits, but they're looking out for themselves.

With that said - minus something catastrophic that we haven't heard of - there is no way I don't see coach returning.

Ok, were any of the coaches you have mentioned remotely in the same sitch as coach lav?? or did they go on to a better coaching position??? They took coaching jobs after they had already recruited for their previous team. Not comparing apples to apples at all.

This isn't something I really want to debate, because at the end of the day i agree with you - Coach is coming back.

My point was just that it's not ridiculous to think he'd recruit for us and then leave. Coaches do it all the time these days. And fwiw yea I think Turgeon can be mentioned in the same sentence as coach. He was leaving one BCS program for another. And these "rumors", which again I don't believe - have coach going to a west coast program, that many would say is "better" than us.

Really, i just don't find it ridiculous anymore whenever a coach leaves. With that said - i expect Lav to be here for the foreseeable future.

Back