Gravesend

BrookJersey Redmen

2023 $upporter
Anyone have any thoughts on this mob centric series?

Set in 80's Gravesend section of BKLYN, borders Bensonhurst, so legit mafia types there. Creator is William DeMeo who had a bit part in the Sopranos.

It didn't get rave reviews.

DeMeo is friends with Rich Aurilia (sp) SJU & MLB standout, also from Gravesend.

Wondering if I should bother watching it, want Monte's opinion.

The first season was awful...acting, low budget.

Second season much better as budget improved and some more stars like Chaz P.

If expecting Goodfellas/Sopranos quality, then pass but if you just like NY mob, 80's nostalgia etc..it's worth a watch.

I am looking forward to 3rd season being filmed now. They will have more stars in it.

Set in 80's Gravesend section of BKLYN, borders Bensonhurst, so legit mafia types there. Creator is William DeMeo who had a bit part in the Sopranos.

DeMeo is friends with Rich Aurilia (sp) SJU & MLB standout, also from Gravesend.

I found it to be “meh” at best. Best part of the series is the IRoc Z and especially the Grand National.

My wife couldn't get past the bad acting, the bad writing, the bad directing, the phony shooting scenes (guys dropping like us kids when we played cowboy and held our chest and slowing fell to the ground).

I like it only for the period details, cars, clothes, hairdos, etc., plus they shoot it in neighborhoods I know pretty well from growing up in Brooklyn.

I agree with my wife that they should have done it as a straight SNL parody, cuz that is kind of what it is.

Main character Benny (DeMeo) goes into a church and starts long conversations with a statue of St. Anthony (I kid you not), the only thing better would be if St. Anthony talked back and told Benny what a skeevatz he is.

Just saw this Bob. I actually liked some of the storylines in season 1, which is all I watched. But it was very low budget and poorly acted. Seemed like the creator, that DeMeo guy, gave the acting gigs to all his buddies. Could not get past season one.

Just saw this Bob. I actually liked some of the storylines in season 1, which is all I watched. But it was very low budget and poorly acted. Seemed like the creator, that DeMeo guy, gave the acting gigs to all his buddies. Could not get past season one.
Since this is take from someone in the know, I feel vindicated in my feelings about the show. DeMeo parlayed his bit role in the Sopranos pretty far to get this Greenlighted, you have to hand that to him.

I had a buddy who grew up in Gravesend, and the location scenes are fun for a Brooklynite.

Back