Giants Offseason

Marillac

So many free agents for Big Blue. They also have three unique contract situations with Osi, Jacobs, and Cruz. I am a huge Eli Manning fan, and I think beginning last year he entered the prime of his career. The Giants really have be be thinking they have about a five-year window with Eli being a dominant franchise QB. With that in mind, what do the Giants fans on this board think we should do this offseason?

Here's my take:

1. Let Goff walk - The G-men have proven twice they don't need a marquee TE or LB's to win it all. I really like the four rookies we have on the roster. Both Jones and Herzlich will only get better, and I have always loved Chase Backburn--he'd be a nice bandaid or insurance policy. Pickup a journeyman and use some draft picks to shore up whatever might be lacking.

2. Resign Thomas at CB - No brainer

3. Let Jacobs walk - I love Bradshaw and I think DJ Ware is a great backup type. The Giants also drafted Scott last year and could get a quality RB in the fourth or fifth round as well.

4. Pay Osi

5. Lock up Cruz long-term

6. Bring back Deon Grant - 12 seasons without a missed game...screw Peyton or Cal, this is the ironman. Heart and soul of the Giants defensive backfield.

7. Draft the best tackle available first round for Eli's future run

8. Either resign Manningham or bring back Steve Smith - I love the Hixon resigning--if Hixon can stay healthy--but the Giants have no depth after Cruz and Nicks at WR. I'm pretty sure my mom could catch 90 passes in the slot with Eli throwing, but I'd like to keep Cruz there if possible by retaining Manningham. That would be the best receiving trio in football for years. If not, resign Smith at a big discount. He must be dying to come back after playing with Vick and realizing that Eli was 80% of the reason why he was a pro bowler.

What do we do with Kareem McKenzie? He looked like crap last year. Bring him back for one more year to mold his replacement?

So many free agents for Big Blue. They also have three unique contract situations with Osi, Jacobs, and Cruz. I am a huge Eli Manning fan, and I think beginning last year he entered the prime of his career. The Giants really have be be thinking they have about a five-year window with Eli being a dominant franchise QB. With that in mind, what do the Giants fans on this board think we should do this offseason?

Here's my take:

1. Let Goff walk - The G-men have proven twice they don't need a marquee TE or LB's to win it all. I really like the four rookies we have on the roster. Both Jones and Herzlich will only get better, and I have always loved Chase Backburn--he'd be a nice bandaid or insurance policy. Pickup a journeyman and use some draft picks to shore up whatever might be lacking.

2. Resign Thomas at CB - No brainer

3. Let Jacobs walk - I love Bradshaw and I think DJ Ware is a great backup type. The Giants also drafted Scott last year and could get a quality RB in the fourth or fifth round as well.

4. Pay Osi

5. Lock up Cruz long-term

6. Bring back Deon Grant - 12 seasons without a missed game...screw Peyton or Cal, this is the ironman. Heart and soul of the Giants defensive backfield.

7. Draft the best tackle available first round for Eli's future run

8. Either resign Manningham or bring back Steve Smith - I love the Hixon resigning--if Hixon can stay healthy--but the Giants have no depth after Cruz and Nicks at WR. I'm pretty sure my mom could catch 90 passes in the slot with Eli throwing, but I'd like to keep Cruz there if possible by retaining Manningham. That would be the best receiving trio in football for years. If not, resign Smith at a big discount. He must be dying to come back after playing with Vick and realizing that Eli was 80% of the reason why he was a pro bowler.

What do we do with Kareem McKenzie? He looked like crap last year. Bring him back for one more year to mold his replacement?

Great post, well thought out. I find myself agreeing with you 100%

Marillac, I don't believe the Giants will pay for Manningham to return. Agree though, they do need more receivers, especially if any go down with an injury. Screw Smith, let him linger on the Eagles sideline. Go after a rookie receiver or free agent. Don't need a disgruntled Jacobs anymore, especially if he takes a big paycut to return. McKenzie absolutely is gone. I'll tell you one thing Grant did surprise me with his defensive improvement;like to see him hold on to more pass interceptions though.
When I was in Vegas the Giants were 100 to 1 to win the Super Bowl; never put any money down. How dumb was that? You don't have to answer that.   

1. Goff may be resigned at a cheap number because he was injured last year. Between him, Herzlich, and Jones, the Giants feel good about ML.
And Williams and Boley have the outside spots with Paysinger as a backup. Plus the Giants spend a premium on the DL, so LB must be the more
inexpensive younger guys, and the team likes playing with an extra S as the hybryd LB.

2. Thomas will sign. They are making him a priority. He also like it here, and won't make the Steve Smith mistake either.

3. Jacobs won't come back. Too much money for too littlke production. The easiest position to replace via the draft is RB.
They usually perform right way. And SCott has ben in the system for a year learning how to block (which id vital in Coughlin's system).

4. They will work Osi to brig him back. He is hurt a lot, but when he plays, he gets sacks.

5. Grant will be gone, imo. Great leader, but I think they will go younger with Sash and a younger vet.

6. The OL, DL, CB, TE, RB are where the Giants will look to draft. The TE must be able to block in Coughlin's system.
OL, like you said, you keep your franchise QB healthy. DL, because Reese is an Accorsi disciple, who belives you can never have enough pass rushers.
The Defense is built around them. And Corner, because Ross is gone. He will make more money in FA as well.

7. Manningham will make a lot of money in FA. I can't the Giants affording him. That catch made him a ton of money. I do not want Smith back, because his best position is in the slot, and that also happens to be Cruz' best spot. And sorry, Smith can't hold a candle to the game changing ability of Cruz. Do not want to mess with that. Also, Jernigan will get the opportunity backup Cruz in the slot. The other WR comes from a Barden/Hixon/cheaperFA/draft pick. THe Giants will find money to lock up both Cruz and Nicks.

8. Eli is a young 31. He right now is the best clutch QB in the game. He can be around until his late 30's imo.

I love Kareem McKenzie but we cant bring him back. He was the weak link on the line. Would love to draft a RT in the draft and for the right price I would also like to bring back Kiwi

1. Goff may be resigned at a cheap number because he was injured last year. Between him, Herzlich, and Jones, the Giants feel good about ML.
And Williams and Boley have the outside spots with Paysinger as a backup. Plus the Giants spend a premium on the DL, so LB must be the more
inexpensive younger guys, and the team likes playing with an extra S as the hybryd LB.

2. Thomas will sign. They are making him a priority. He also like it here, and won't make the Steve Smith mistake either.

3. Jacobs won't come back. Too much money for too littlke production. The easiest position to replace via the draft is RB.
They usually perform right way. And SCott has ben in the system for a year learning how to block (which id vital in Coughlin's system).

4. They will work Osi to brig him back. He is hurt a lot, but when he plays, he gets sacks.

5. Grant will be gone, imo. Great leader, but I think they will go younger with Sash and a younger vet.

6. The OL, DL, CB, TE, RB are where the Giants will look to draft. The TE must be able to block in Coughlin's system.
OL, like you said, you keep your franchise QB healthy. DL, because Reese is an Accorsi disciple, who belives you can never have enough pass rushers.
The Defense is built around them. And Corner, because Ross is gone. He will make more money in FA as well.

7. Manningham will make a lot of money in FA. I can't the Giants affording him. That catch made him a ton of money. I do not want Smith back, because his best position is in the slot, and that also happens to be Cruz' best spot. And sorry, Smith can't hold a candle to the game changing ability of Cruz. Do not want to mess with that. Also, Jernigan will get the opportunity backup Cruz in the slot. The other WR comes from a Barden/Hixon/cheaperFA/draft pick. THe Giants will find money to lock up both Cruz and Nicks.

8. Eli is a young 31. He right now is the best clutch QB in the game. He can be around until his late 30's imo.

Excellent post. If Manningham walks, Cruz will have to be moved from the slot to the outside unless we bring in a WR to take that spot. I love Nicks but he is incredibly injury prone and we have no depth after him and Cruz. One injury at WR and we might not even make the playoffs. It doesn't help that the two players next on the depthchart, Barden and Hixon, are also coming off season ending injuries.

I think Barden, Devin Thomas, and Beckham are useless to the offense...not sure of the cap saved, but I woud not mind if all three were cut and that moneyw as used for Manningham. Both Pascoe and Ballard have to accept three-year deals (if offered) at the league minimum, and I've read the Giants are high on a practice player at TE. I also love Hynoski at FB, and he looks big and versatile enough to fill in at TE if needed.

I'd love to see Grant return for another year for about a milion. He is so dependanble and hasn't missed a game in 12 years! That means a lot when you consider just how injury-prone the Giants are, especially in the defensive backfield. That will let sash and the young guns (I'm sure they draft another safety this year) develop a year.

I think we're fairly set at the D-Line this year. The Giants spent second round picks on DT's the last two years in Joseph and Austin...Canty is playing as good as ever...and we have DE's all over the place with Osi, Tuck, Kiwi, Tollefson (UFA), and Pierre-Paul. DE is a position that guys like Stahan and White enjoyed success well into their 30's.

Excellent post. If Manningham walks, Cruz will have to be moved from the slot to the outside unless we bring in a WR to take that spot. I love Nicks but he is incredibly injury prone and we have no depth after him and Cruz. One injury at WR and we might not even make the playoffs. It doesn't help that the two players next on the depthchart, Barden and Hixon, are also coming off season ending injuries.

I think Barden, Devin Thomas, and Beckham are useless to the offense...not sure of the cap saved, but I woud not mind if all three were cut and that moneyw as used for Manningham. Both Pascoe and Ballard have to accept three-year deals (if offered) at the league minimum, and I've read the Giants are high on a practice player at TE. I also love Hynoski at FB, and he looks big and versatile enough to fill in at TE if needed.

I'd love to see Grant return for another year for about a milion. He is so dependanble and hasn't missed a game in 12 years! That means a lot when you consider just how injury-prone the Giants are, especially in the defensive backfield. That will let sash and the young guns (I'm sure they draft another safety this year) develop a year.

I think we're fairly set at the D-Line this year. The Giants spent second round picks on DT's the last two years in Joseph and Austin...Canty is playing as good as ever...and we have DE's all over the place with Osi, Tuck, Kiwi, Tollefson (UFA), and Pierre-Paul. DE is a position that guys like Stahan and White enjoyed success well into their 30's.

They don't need a high profile TE, but that position is going to be a priority. Both Beckham and Ballard are going to be out for the season. Pascoe is really a converted fullback in our system. So that leaves us without any depth at all at the position.

My guess is they draft a TE and sign that practice player they appear high on.

By the way i've heard/read that they have shown no interest in resigning Blackburn. Which amazes me, but I guess it's consistent with why they cut him last year. I'd still sign him as an insurance policy,. but I'm not Jerry Reese.

They don't need a high profile TE, but that position is going to be a priority. Both Beckham and Ballard are going to be out for the season. Pascoe is really a converted fullback in our system. So that leaves us without any depth at all at the position.

My guess is they draft a TE and sign that practice player they appear high on.

By the way i've heard/read that they have shown no interest in resigning Blackburn. Which amazes me, but I guess it's consistent with why they cut him last year. I'd still sign him as an insurance policy,. but I'm not Jerry Reese.

I would keep Devin Thomas. If nothing else, he is a terrific special teams player. And for the first time in a very long time, the Giants won a game because of their spcials (NFC Championship game vs San Fran). And he has embraced that role to the point where he is a leader. I still think the Giants draft a DL to groom. It is just the way they are built. Plus, Tuck and Osi will miss time, so depth in this defense's most important position is vital.

Also, look for the Giants to draft pass catching RB. They really don't have one oif those. A good place to look at is teh Saints. They have FA WR, and now with the bounty thing, they can really get screwed. They may need to let a guy like Colson go. I am not saying the Giants pick him up, but it put one more guy on the market, and makes someone else a little cheaper.

I am tempted to see what Tony Gonzales wants for one year. He may want to play it one year at a time, and he may want to sign with the Ginats at a good number with the hope of winning a ring.

OL is a must. MacKenzie is done, unless he comes back as a backup at a very reduced rate. They are grooming some guys IT is imporatnt to see if Pertus and Brewer have made any progess in the system. If anything, the Giants are lucky to have one the best OL coaches in Pat Flaherty. Also Beatty coming back healthy is important.

But as we discuss this, especially when it comes to teh Giants draft, is they always go with the best player available. They stick to their board, regardless of position. That's why a DL is never out of the question either.

The Blackburn thing is a little confusing too. But they may know he is ready to resign at the last minute if they want.

Back