FYI For Those Thinking of NY Law

As a 3L about to graduate from NYLS, I couldn't be happier that this case is finally dismissed.

Law school is an opportunity to obtain an education, not a job guarantee. The alums who brought this suit don't seem to understand that concept. The school owes you a duty to provide an excellent education - not guarantee a job offer.

The truth is the legal market is saturated at the moment, and especially in NY state. If you want a guaranteed job, take the Wisconsin or Nebraska bar. But everyone wants to live in the NY-metro area, so if you make a decision to do that you're going to have to live with increased competition.

Hopefully the job market rebounds. Any of the experienced attorneys on here think that's going to happen? Because I'm not too optimistic. But I also knew what I was getting into when I decided to pursue a law degree. 

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/27/the-lawyer-surplus-state-by-state/

For what it's worth Joe Plumeri, Chairman of the Willis Group in Chicago, who was honored by The St. John's College of Insurance and Risk Management, a few years ago (2006), went to New York Law.

Don't know if he graduated. Think he left for "greener" pastures after his first year when he met Sandy Weil.

The Willis Tower, in Chicago, is the former Sears Tower, as you may know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_J._Plumeri

You are right about the competition for jobs, no doubt about that.

A family member was able to transfer from Seton Hall Law to NYU Law after his first year.

He was among the top students after his first year but was very concerned if he would get a job at a "big" law firm after graduation.

That said, he graduated last year, passed the bar, and is now working for a "white shoe" firm.

Best of luck to you ! I'm sure you will do well !     

As a 3L about to graduate from NYLS, I couldn't be happier that this case is finally dismissed.

Law school is an opportunity to obtain an education, not a job guarantee. The alums who brought this suit don't seem to understand that concept. The school owes you a duty to provide an excellent education - not guarantee a job offer.

The truth is the legal market is saturated at the moment, and especially in NY state. If you want a guaranteed job, take the Wisconsin or Nebraska bar. But everyone wants to live in the NY-metro area, so if you make a decision to do that you're going to have to live with increased competition.

Hopefully the job market rebounds. Any of the experienced attorneys on here think that's going to happen? Because I'm not too optimistic. But I also knew what I was getting into when I decided to pursue a law degree. 

Graduated from St. John's in 2010, passed the bar the first time, licensed in May 2011. Took me a year and half (Nov. 2011) to get a job (found some small legal jobs here and there in between). Got my job through a friend. The market is still very tough right now but I definitely feel that there are more postings this year than there were this time last year. Get experience where you can. The state Bar does a Bridge the Gap CLE that is free and would give you great experience. They require you to do 50 pro bono hours but I think that's not a bad way to get experience (and get your CLE out of the way) if you don't get a job right away.

Graduated from St. John's in 2010, passed the bar the first time, licensed in May 2011. Took me a year and half (Nov. 2011) to get a job (found some small legal jobs here and there in between). Got my job through a friend. The market is still very tough right now but I definitely feel that there are more postings this year than there were this time last year. Get experience where you can. The state Bar does a Bridge the Gap CLE that is free and would give you great experience. They require you to do 50 pro bono hours but I think that's not a bad way to get experience (and get your CLE out of the way) if you don't get a job right away.

I'm going to look into the Bridge the Gap CLE, that seems like a good idea. Thanks for the heads up.

And again, good article JSJ, you do a nice job of bringing articles like that to the board's attention.

Many years ago I was seriously thinking of leaving the insurance business and pursuing a law degree. I have to tell you honestly, I am happy I didn't. I have a professional designation, and have done remarkably well financially during my 37 years in the business. I would venture to say that I probably made more money than most of the attorneys out there today. Fact is, there is just too many attorneys, and the cost of pursuing the law degree has become onerous.

Many grads are not aware that careers with a growing and dependable annuity stream can be quite attractive (i.e. insurance and retail brokerage).

Since you have a "book of business" you are not dependent upon the whims of management for the most part.

If you produce, you can have a very nice life. Being your own profit center certainly has its advantages.

It's certainly not easy, but if one can do it, they can do quite well.

A person with a law degree can do quite well in these areas, particularly on the estate planning side of the business, where sophisticated knowledge and the ability to solve complex issues is always in demand.

Jersey,

The hard cold reality is that the opportunities for 18 to 22 year old kids are much leaner than when you and I graduated from undergrad. From the recent college grads that I know it appears that the only kids consistently getting jobs with 4 year degrees are those that majored in one of the following: nursing, computer science, engineering, or accounting.

I agree that a kid that goes to law school today is taking a risk- but then again if he/ she is a liberal arts or education major they are taking a risk of not if they stand pat with their 4 year degree.

My advice to someone considering law school is that if they cannot gain admission to an elite law school (a top 14 school) then to consider a school in the geographic area in which they wish to practice that will leave them with a little debt as possible.

Unfortunately the world that the baby boom generation is leaving to their children is less than the world which they inherited.

Still can't figure out why St. John's doesn't have a College of Nursing 

Don't they typically like to be affiliated with a hospital? Seems like that Mt Sinai-Queens right up the block would be a natural partner.

I think I read recently that Hofstra is starting a medical/nursing school affiliated with North Shore/LiJ.

Hofstra admitted its first med school class this September.

Scarcest health care personnel have been OT;s and PT's (occupational and physical therapists) and with boomers aging demand to assist them in retaining function will be ever more critical resource.

Scarcest health care personnel have been OT;s and PT's (occupational and physical therapists) and with boomers aging demand to assist them in retaining function will be ever more critical resource.

I know Seton Hall has a PT graduate level degree. My friend's son graduates from it this year.

A 4 yr. program that is very demanding. 

Still can't figure out why St. John's doesn't have a College of Nursing 

Don't they typically like to be affiliated with a hospital? Seems like that Mt Sinai-Queens right up the block would be a natural partner.

I think I read recently that Hofstra is starting a medical/nursing school affiliated with North Shore/LiJ.

I believe I've explained this history in a prior thread. SJU had an opportunity to own one I believe. Too long to discuss here again, but SJU purchased only the P.A. School. I've heard Hofstra's new medical school is fantastic and progressive. My brother-in-law loved it and is applying for admission next year.

Back