Former Big East Members in ACC

Rocket

The ACC tournament is being played at the quiet Barclay Center and while we commiserate about our mediocre season there are four former members who now wallow in the basement of the ACC.
Syracuse, once a perennial national power, is 15-16. Louisville is 12-18, BC is 13-19 and a once proud Pitt program is 11-22.

Ever since BC left Big East to go to ACC, they have been a bottom feeder for the conference. Made no sense. Former Big East member Notre Dame is seeded #2 even though reports say it's not a sure thing they will make the tournament. Ever since those 5 teams left the Big East, only ND has won the ACC tournament.

I heard tickets were $5 at Barclays. You can just about walk into the place for free. 

ACC was great back when it had 8 teams and almost every game was a rivalry game. Their tournament used to be the best and held on Tobacco Road where it belongs now it's ridiculously held in Brooklyn and falls under the radar.

This is terrible.
I feel so bad for them.
Why do bad things have to happen to good programs?

Last edited:
Pat Rock, I do agree with your post. Those teams were perennial powers in the Big East. BC, Pitt, Louisville and Syracuse have won at least one Big East Conference title. ND never made it to the Big East finals as a member. 

Since joining ACC, ND has been to three conference finals, won once. BC, Pitt, Louisville and Cuse haven't won one conference title (not sure if any of those four have made it to ACC final). It does puzzle me why that is. 

Why is everyone ignoring Va Tech and Miami? /media/kunena/emoticons/cheerful.png

austour post=462191 said:
Why is everyone ignoring Va Tech and Miami? /media/kunena/emoticons/cheerful.png

Because the schools I mentioned in the original post were teams that enjoyed their greatest basketball success while they were members of the best college basketball conference ever. Miami and Va Tech were irrelevant in the Big East as far as basketball was concerned. They were brought into the conference by misguided football schools.

But since you are curious about those two schools in the ACC, Miami is 22-9 this year BUT the previous three years was 10-7, 15-16 and 14-8.

Va Tech had success under Buzz but under Mike Young has been 19-11, 15-7 and 16-16.

The success of those two schools you thought would put a feather in your cap have been more mediocre than St. John's, and yet you and others are having a grand old time crapping on Mike Anderson.

Pat Rock post=462215 said:

The success of those two schools you thought would put a feather in your cap have been more mediocre than St. John's, and yet you and others are having a grand old time crapping on Mike Anderson.

Or I could have been making a joke with my laughing face.  One of the two.  Probably the latter, rookie.

austour post=462229 said:
Pat Rock post=462215 said:

Or I could have been making a joke with my laughing face.  One of the two.  Probably the latter, rookie.

Well, since you said "probably", I assume that you are not sure if it was a joke on me or you. Either way, all those teams have not had much better seasons than St. John's but you know that, Fan.

I was messaging with someone and discussing Cuse / Boston College.

This is BC's in-conference record for basketball, then football, for the last eleven seasons since joining the ACC.
6-14, 2-11, 7-13, 5-13, 7-11, 2-16, 0-18, 4-14, 4-14, 7-11, 4-12
2-6, 5-5, 4-4, 4-4, 4-4, 2-6, 0-8, 4-4, 4-4, 1-7, 3-5

Neither sport has had a winning record since they joined the ACC. 
Nuts.

I think that's even more disheartening than what we've endured.

Back