Fire Miller

Pouchie29

Not for nothing, but with the exception of a few year and having Mcardle, Miller hasn't done a thing to let him keep his job. ITs time to move on..... I would let Paccione coach for a few years, he is a LI guy with many connections....

I can't disagree at this point. We have gotten a lot worse, and have become a one trick pony. Miller is a defensive guy, but SJU's defense has been awful for a few years.

We just got blowout by High Point, right now Miller would be luck to win a game this year, I think his all time win % stands at 35% (over 10 seasons), with only 5 wins in the last 3 seasons (including this year). When do we pull the plug on this guy? Also what would that record look like if McArdle never came to SJU, I'm going with 10 less wins over the 4 year period. Pathetic, why wait till the end of the season, just ask him to announce that he will leave after this year.

I covered the 4-10 season for the Torch in 2010-11. There was SO much promise heading into that next season. They had two over .500 seasons but didn't make the Big East tournament so how could they be called successful? Very disappointing with how it has turned out. I wrote a lot about that season being the turning point. Sad to have been wrong.

Maybe its time the touch does a good piece about moving on and replacing this staff? Make a call.....

BTW, they lost another game to St Joes.

It's been a long time since I've followed the NY lacrosse scene, but I think it's one of the few sports where a top high school coach could come in and make a difference almost immediately. Any stellar NY coaches at the end of their careers whose teaching pensions have already hit benchmark years who'd be able to come in and give this program a shot in the arm?

This guy has to be the worst college coach currently employed at any level, regardless of the sport!

Check this graph out, I couldn't help but throw this together, currently his 10 year win percentage stands at 33% and looking to go to 7% for the year if they lose to Georgetown this weekend.

[attachment]miller.png[/attachment]

sorry but Doc Dougherty is a no go, since not one SJU target would have any idea of who Doc is and why they should respect this 70 year old man. I thinking you were kidding, but I really don't think any HS coach should be hired as the towns youth programs are why they are successful, not because they are amazing coaches. If Doc Dougherty was hired to coach in Baldwin for example, my response "DOC" who? Lastly most HS coach are more interested in running for profit camps and travel programs to help build programs, in most cases their influence is next to zero. Case in point Bob Hartraft in Farmingdale (700 wins) was the reason it took them so many years to win a state title, his signature move the Hartraft stall cost that town 3 state titles, I believe 78, 91 or 92, and 2007 (in all years they were leading in the 4th quarter, he sat on the ball). 2007 year had 9 kids committed to the top 10 division 1 programs, several went on to be major impact players winning national titles and player of the year awards (danowski). Who do you think developed that talent, it was John Danowski from Hofstra influence on all those kids.

I'm going with Matt Danowski who is an assistant at Duke under his dad, who could bring in recent players to assist and someone every recruit will know and will respect.

BTW, wasn't Doc dismissed from Garden City for either threatening a resident or actually hitting someone, I recall an order of protection being issued.

"is he like the Norm Roberts of lacrosse ? "

BTW, I was never a Norm fan, but comparing him to Miller is a total insult to Norm. Miller in Basketball term is qualified to run his kids PAL team, CYO would be a total stretch.

sorry but Doc Dougherty is a no go, since not one SJU target would have any idea of who Doc is and why they should respect this 70 year old man. I thinking you were kidding, but I really don't think any HS coach should be hired as the towns youth programs are why they are successful, not because they are amazing coaches. If Doc Dougherty was hired to coach in Baldwin for example, my response "DOC" who? Lastly most HS coach are more interested in running for profit camps and travel programs to help build programs, in most cases their influence is next to zero. Case in point Bob Hartraft in Farmingdale (700 wins) was the reason it took them so many years to win a state title, his signature move the Hartraft stall cost that town 3 state titles, I believe 78, 91 or 92, and 2007 (in all years they were leading in the 4th quarter, he sat on the ball). 2007 year had 9 kids committed to the top 10 division 1 programs, several went on to be major impact players winning national titles and player of the year awards (danowski). Who do you think developed that talent, it was John Danowski from Hofstra influence on all those kids.

I'm going with Matt Danowski who is an assistant at Duke under his dad, who could bring in recent players to assist and someone every recruit will know and will respect.

BTW, wasn't Doc dismissed from Garden City for either threatening a resident or actually hitting someone, I recall an order of protection being issued.

Dino would be a great choice. Farmingdale grad who played under the legend Bob Hartranft. Also, his dad has been awesome at Hofstra and Duke. Would immediately bring credibility to the St. John's program.

SJU certainly needs a change. Miller not getting it done. It's a great sport and SJU can be real good.

Lacrosse is a joke at St. John's, one of the worst programs in D1 and nothing will change. IMO if you plan to do nothing, just get rid of the program.  Miller actually isn't the problem, he's just doing him.  He like the rubber room teacher.  It's not his fault he still has a job and why would he not come to collect a check.  FYI, his record stand sub 30% (guess) with a few cupcake teams to help boost his wins, in the big East I bet he hasn't won more than 15 games in last 10 years.   This year, we are getting crushed by every Big East team, what an embarrassment.  

Pouchie29" post=426303 said:
Lacrosse is a joke at St. John's, one of the worst programs in D1 and nothing will change. IMO if you plan to do nothing, just get rid of the program.  Miller actually isn't the problem, he's just doing him.  He like the rubber room teacher.  It's not his fault he still has a job and why would he not come to collect a check.  FYI, his record stand sub 30% (guess) with a few cupcake teams to help boost his wins, in the big East I bet he hasn't won more than 15 games in last 10 years.   This year, we are getting crushed by every Big East team, what an embarrassment.  

yeah it's pretty awful.  Miller is apparently a nice guy and well liked,  but sju getting crushed by programs that started long after our inception and we aren't competitive in the Big East.  It's crazy.  Definitely been time to move on for years now.  I used to follow the program closely.  I moved away a few years ago, but stopped following closely since we are non-competitive.  It's hard to watch.  

I don't know about firing the guy, but I found it so strang how they choose a Mass guy over a LI guy. LI is the hotbed of talent. There wasn't/isnt a viable candidate on the island that can stack that team with LI boys?

Miller’s overall record is 64-123 at SJU.  Thus far this season sju has been out scored 66-141, letting up football scores in most of the games. It’s time for a change and SJU needs to figure out something different.  I love SJU lacrosse and hate to see us this way.  We aren’t even close to competitive.

0-4 and outscored 29-75 in just 4 games in the 2022 season. Never thought we would get worse than 2021...only time will tell.

Last edited:
Back