Favorite Football Clubs

Moose

I never bothered with a single podcast until this past EPL season, listening to the Brits on "Men in Blazers" (Grantland page). Seriously hilarious and knowledgeable at the same time.

And a movie podcast or two.

I never listen to the radio (not a driver), and can't stand sports talk radio, where most of the callers and hosts would drown if tossed into a think tank.

by the way Moose, Gaudette had a clean sheet in Bulls win today. Didn't have to work hard to earn it. But he's been impressive and perhaps may even push Meara some.

peace. 

What EPL club do you pull for? Or other League clubs for that matter?

back in the day, only way i could watch an EPL game was through Cablevision PPV. Games cost about 10 bux, and the best part? you had no idea what game you were getting. this was the mid 90s.

first game i saw: everton v. liverpool.

i went with Everton, for they were the clear underdog, game was at Goodison, and I thought it be nice to root against the hometown of the Beatles...of course, the joke was on me when i found out that Everton is in Liverpool (but take solace in knowing that Everton gave birth to the Reds--we their daddy, even if they usually get the upper hand like in this past year's Cup semis).

admittedly, i was no diehard until Fox Soccer Channel entered my realm in more recent times, coinciding with Tim Howard's joining the team from ManU. Their squad seems to fit my model of StJ, Mets, etc. Gritty, but not the model of excellence by any stretch.

and so it is...Toffees...forever.

I don't follow other leagues as strongly but for what it's worth:

Netherlands: Ajax. Changed footy forever. More a fan through books and youtube clips, as this league has no real tv presence. But it was the first club team I ever heard of when family told me about them.

Italy: Juventas. Simply put, they were the popular team in all the local pizza joints in the Bronx. Posters always up of that team.

Spain: Barca. The style they play today is directly linked to Johan Cryuff and the "Total Football" model of Ajax.

Mexico: Pumas. Linked to Notre Dame, but really, those jerseys are just too cool. 

Appetizers: Take Celtic over Rangers (even if the latter's financial demise is directly benefiting Everton) because growing up in an Irish Catholic neighborhood, Celtic was sort of the "home" team. Not that I care about the religious aspect of it all.

MLS: Red Bulls. Wish I still had my old Metrostars jersey though. But they are the local team, and they have provided a great stadium and seem to fit my innate ability to root for teams that win no trophies.

No teams for the following leagues, but will appreciate a game or two a year from Argentina, Brazil, and Germany. Visual quality of GolTV is unbearable. Wonder if they will survive the Al Jazeera push, they're wrapping up many contracts with leagues around the world, including La Liga.

your turn.

back in the day, only way i could watch an EPL game was through Cablevision PPV. Games cost about 10 bux, and the best part? you had no idea what game you were getting. this was the mid 90s.

first game i saw: everton v. liverpool.

i went with Everton, for they were the clear underdog, game was at Goodison, and I thought it be nice to root against the hometown of the Beatles...of course, the joke was on me when i found out that Everton is in Liverpool (but take solace in knowing that Everton gave birth to the Reds--we their daddy, even if they usually get the upper hand like in this past year's Cup semis).

admittedly, i was no diehard until Fox Soccer Channel entered my realm in more recent times, coinciding with Tim Howard's joining the team from ManU. Their squad seems to fit my model of StJ, Mets, etc. Gritty, but not the model of excellence by any stretch.

and so it is...Toffees...forever.

I don't follow other leagues as strongly but for what it's worth:

Netherlands: Ajax. Changed footy forever. More a fan through books and youtube clips, as this league has no real tv presence. But it was the first club team I ever heard of when family told me about them.

Italy: Juventas. Simply put, they were the popular team in all the local pizza joints in the Bronx. Posters always up of that team.

Spain: Barca. The style they play today is directly linked to Johan Cryuff and the "Total Football" model of Ajax.

Mexico: Pumas. Linked to Notre Dame, but really, those jerseys are just too cool. 

Appetizers: Take Celtic over Rangers (even if the latter's financial demise is directly benefiting Everton) because growing up in an Irish Catholic neighborhood, Celtic was sort of the "home" team. Not that I care about the religious aspect of it all.

MLS: Red Bulls. Wish I still had my old Metrostars jersey though. But they are the local team, and they have provided a great stadium and seem to fit my innate ability to root for teams that win no trophies.

No teams for the following leagues, but will appreciate a game or two a year from Argentina, Brazil, and Germany. Visual quality of GolTV is unbearable. Wonder if they will survive the Al Jazeera push, they're wrapping up many contracts with leagues around the world, including La Liga.

your turn.

Sorry I never responded to this I don't know how I didn't see it.

I've only recently in the last 5 years or so really started watching soccer. I really don't have any favorite teams and its frustrating because I want to have teams to root for in the respective leagues but its complicated. I don't want to just root for ManU or Chelsea because everyone does. In MLS since they are local I happen to catch Red Bulls games more often than not so I would say its safe to say I pull for them. I want to find an EPL team that doesn't suck and has a legit shot. However it seems that only 4 teams seem to have a shot every year. I think I might pull for Arsenal. Located in London so if I'm ever there I can see them. Though the Red Sox comparisons worry me as a Yankees fan.

I'd also like to find a Serie A team to root for as I'm Italian. Wish my grandfather was around to find out who he rooted for. He was from Calabria but not many teams in Serie A down that way. Closest might be Napoli. But yes all older Italians I seem to run into pull for Juventus it seems.

Some friends went to Amsterdam and went to an Ajax game and had an awesome time.

Nothing for France. Saw the PSG game at Yankee Stadium and enjoyed it. Also like Verratti who they just signed. Really surprised there aren't more elite teams in Paris as most are scattered thru the country. But that being said I haven't looked at many Ligue 1 teams.

Not sure if I'd pick a team from any of the other leagues. 

Arsenal could be an interesting choice. Though they seem to be slipping to 2nd tier of late, and Van Persie seems to want out in the worst way. That said, their fans are interesting. For starters, they backed Thierry Henry in a big way in the face of some of the racist taunts black players see in Europe. Beyond that, they have a fun history of gruesome style and disappointment that is maybe best captured in Nick Hornby's "Fever Pitch." A great sports book for anyone.

A friend of mine spent a good year watching all kinds of games and teams until he finally settled on Chelsea. Half a year later, they win Uefa.

I always felt Everton chose me than vice versa. They haven't challenged for a top four spot but once in the past decade or two, but they're also the longest running team in the top league (no relegation in a very very long time). At some point, you will watch a game, and it will just hit you...probably the style will catch you. Though I appreciate that you don't want to grab a front runner. But if you can root for StJ through the first decade of this millenium, you could handle relegation, no? :)

Napoli had a good run in Italy this past year, and I have a respect for the thin style of pizza cats from the region served in my neighborhood growing up. :)  

By the way, your classmate Gaudette, despite a 3-1 loss the other night to Montreal, seems to have taken the job for now as Red Bull keeper. He's been impressive to say the least. This team fancies itself a contender this year, and it's understandable that they stick with Gaudette over the rookie.

peace.

NY Cosmos -- What else can you say. The names were legendary, and they were my childhood heros. They were the greatest. Can't wait for the restart next year in one of the lower leagues, until they are the 20th franchise in MLS.

Napoli -- All because of my dad. My parents are Italian immigrants from near there. I do remember the golden age of that club in the 80's of course, with Maradona. After near bankruptcy and relegation to Serie C, they have made a nice return to Serie A, and carried themselves well in Champions League. Lost a heartbreaker to eventual champion Chelsea. Napoli is very fun to watch as well.

I'd have to say my number 1 is the Philadelphia Union. Everyone can like their clubs overseas but you have to love the hometown club. I've been watching MLS since day 1 in 96 and this league has grown by leaps and bounds the last 5 seasons. I even bet that 5-10 years from now it rivals France's Lige 1 or the Dutch Eredivise and if in europe would be a top 7 league. The atmospheres in MLS stadiums have gotten much better too. You wouldn't know it if you were a Red Bulls fan...until the Sons of Ben come to town and drown out the home fans :p

Internationally, I follow most teams with americans on it like Everton, Fulham, and Roma and casually root for them. Other than that my favorite clubs would be Milan, Man U, Barca, and Ajax. Of late, I've been less of a fan of the EPL and watch more La Liga, eredivise, and Bundesliga when I can.

Tons of Americans are starving for a team to root for in the EPL. Their dilemma was always 1) finding genuine allegiances to a team (predicament because most of us love the teams we do from birth), 2) being able to follow that team enough to justify calling yourself a supporter... Behold the fox soccer channel, along with fox soccer+. Now we can watch games each Saturday morning and really get a grasp of the culture of each team.

Everyone in the beginning jumped on the Arsenal bandwagon, a nice outfit with a polarizing coach and competitive squad in the EPL. To me they are a downtrodden club because of their initial growth in popularity here. Then there are the Man U's and Chelsea's for those who like to be front runners... Fine but not my style along with many. Tottenham to me is the best way to go. Ultra talented players like Bale, Modric, adebayour, the Dutch midfielder whose name is escaping me.. They are a top 5 team who every couple of years will make the Champions League. This year they qualified and still won't be competing due to a technicality... Talk about bad luck.

Will sound like I'm a hypocrite but as of 3 years ago when I started getting into the EPL I supported Manchester City. Since I never had a favorite team in the league I only supported players. Eventually they had so much money they started purchasing those guys, (yaya toure my favorite, Tevez, Aguero, balotelli my 2nd favorite). They are really a great outfit who will make some real noise on the European stage.

With that said the 1 team I have truly supported since birth is Olympiacos Pireus. They are perennial champions league qualifiers winning the Greek league 39 times. They used to have yaya toure and have had other greats come thru the side such as Rivaldo, Giovanni, Belluschi.. I went to a champions league game with my father in September at The Emirates. Arsenal beat us 2-1 but our supporters are absolutely nuts. We have an intense rivalry with Panathinaikos whose fans are a disgrace to the league( not all but they continually are docked points for rioting) which makes the following of the team intriguing. Look up how screwed we got from advancing to the knockout stage of the CL last year... We beat arsenal on day 6 and in injury time marseille scored 2 goals(which they needed) to surpass us. Typical European gimmicks I'm sure there was some foul play there. Regardless we are back in the Champions League this fall and if we can hold onto our studs, Kevin Mirallas(Belgium), Rafik Djebbour(Algeria), Olaf Melbourg (Sweden) we should be competitive again.

thryle ole thryle ole se vlepo kai trelenomai!!!  

Tottenham to me is the best way to go. Ultra talented players like Bale, Modric, adebayour, the Dutch midfielder whose name is escaping me.. They are a top 5 team who every couple of years will make the Champions League. This year they qualified and still won't be competing due to a technicality... Talk about bad luck.

Modric, according to multiple reports, is being sold to Real for 36M. Ade is technically Man City's property, but I suspect he'll be wearing our kit once the season starts. The midfielder you're thinking of is Van der Vaart. They have been in the Champions League exactly once. Two years ago, Bale's coming out party. Crouchy was big too.

They are more of a downtrodden team than you may think. Their two top 4 finishes in the last 3 years are their highest finishes since the creation of the Premier League, as it now exists. Their glory days are the early 60's, give or take a couple pieces of hardware they've won here and there, the last being '91 vs. Nottingham Forest, which some even question the validity of...well, NF supporters.

I'm a Spurs fan because of Robbie Keane, being Irish too, so I've been a supporter since the '03-'04 season. A relative newb. When Keane sold out and put on his Red kit, I said screw it, I'm a Liverpool fan. But, as that season started, I found myself still supporting Spurs and then when Keane came back to play at WHL, I was STILL supporting the lilywhite and blue. I knew I was hook, line and sinker at that point. My allegiance has only become stronger since. 

Considering I'm a Jets, Mets, Islanders and Johnnies fan, and I'm most certainly a glutton for punishment, I guess it should be no suprise I support a team like Tottenham with a somewhat similar history. I think I like to get smacked around as a sports fan, hahah.   

Haha yes I am with you on every team except I thank my lucky stars I am a Giants fan. I have been hearing for while of Modric wanting out of WHL, it will be difficult losing such a talent, but I should have kept a closer eye on it. Adebayor I believe is signing on with Spurs for good.. Should pay dividend he is an enigmatic player at times but has always been one of my favorite characters on the pitch. Good luck next season and my sympathies for not qualifying for CL it would have been nice to see spurs make another nice run in the tournament.

Haha yes I am with you on every team except I thank my lucky stars I am a Giants fan. I have been hearing for while of Modric wanting out of WHL, it will be difficult losing such a talent, but I should have kept a closer eye on it. Adebayor I believe is signing on with Spurs for good.. Should pay dividend he is an enigmatic player at times but has always been one of my favorite characters on the pitch. Good luck next season and my sympathies for not qualifying for CL it would have been nice to see spurs make another nice run in the tournament.

hahah...I'll take all the luck I can get for this squad. Modric's been such a baby about all this since before LAST season, I'm actually almost happy to see him leave. Ade is the best striker we would have at this point, so I'm definitely hoping something works out. We have the Sigursson (sp) and Vertonghen aboard, I'm excited about those two players, and there's talk of adding another middie to replace Modric. I'm looking forward to another exciting season.

Tons of Americans are starving for a team to root for in the EPL. Their dilemma was always 1) finding genuine allegiances to a team (predicament because most of us love the teams we do from birth), 2) being able to follow that team enough to justify calling yourself a supporter... Behold the fox soccer channel, along with fox soccer+. Now we can watch games each Saturday morning and really get a grasp of the culture of each team.

Everyone in the beginning jumped on the Arsenal bandwagon, a nice outfit with a polarizing coach and competitive squad in the EPL. To me they are a downtrodden club because of their initial growth in popularity here. Then there are the Man U's and Chelsea's for those who like to be front runners... Fine but not my style along with many. Tottenham to me is the best way to go. Ultra talented players like Bale, Modric, adebayour, the Dutch midfielder whose name is escaping me.. They are a top 5 team who every couple of years will make the Champions League. This year they qualified and still won't be competing due to a technicality... Talk about bad luck.

Will sound like I'm a hypocrite but as of 3 years ago when I started getting into the EPL I supported Manchester City. Since I never had a favorite team in the league I only supported players. Eventually they had so much money they started purchasing those guys, (yaya toure my favorite, Tevez, Aguero, balotelli my 2nd favorite). They are really a great outfit who will make some real noise on the European stage.

With that said the 1 team I have truly supported since birth is Olympiacos Pireus. They are perennial champions league qualifiers winning the Greek league 39 times. They used to have yaya toure and have had other greats come thru the side such as Rivaldo, Giovanni, Belluschi.. I went to a champions league game with my father in September at The Emirates. Arsenal beat us 2-1 but our supporters are absolutely nuts. We have an intense rivalry with Panathinaikos whose fans are a disgrace to the league( not all but they continually are docked points for rioting) which makes the following of the team intriguing. Look up how screwed we got from advancing to the knockout stage of the CL last year... We beat arsenal on day 6 and in injury time marseille scored 2 goals(which they needed) to surpass us. Typical European gimmicks I'm sure there was some foul play there. Regardless we are back in the Champions League this fall and if we can hold onto our studs, Kevin Mirallas(Belgium), Rafik Djebbour(Algeria), Olaf Melbourg (Sweden) we should be competitive again.

Not a Bill Simmons fan but if you recall a few years ago he wrote a piece on picking an EPL team. I think he settled on the Spurs actually. It was an interesting piece but still too Red Sox focus which annoyed me.

I do like Arsenal's wild style of play and seeing them on the YES Network as a Yankees fan makes it a bit easier in terms of access.

Rooting for ManU or Chelski would be too easy. That being said I think there is a real big problem with soccer and the pure dominance a handful of teams have on each league. Relegation is an awesome phenomenon but imagine if one of the big 4 sports had that kind of disparity with champions?

Not a Bill Simmons fan but if you recall a few years ago he wrote a piece on picking an EPL team. I think he settled on the Spurs actually. It was an interesting piece but still too Red Sox focus which annoyed me.

I do like Arsenal's wild style of play and seeing them on the YES Network as a Yankees fan makes it a bit easier in terms of access.

Rooting for ManU or Chelski would be too easy. That being said I think there is a real big problem with soccer and the pure dominance a handful of teams have on each league. Relegation is an awesome phenomenon but imagine if one of the big 4 sports had that kind of disparity with champions?

FIFA fair play rules come into effect this upcoming season. It's kind of like the CBA in the NBA where by year 3 teams who overspend/ or in the case of European soccer declare financial loses on the year, will be penalized big time. By 2014 there will be much more parity I believe

NY Cosmos -- What else can you say. The names were legendary, and they were my childhood heros. They were the greatest. Can't wait for the restart next year in one of the lower leagues, until they are the 20th franchise in MLS.

Napoli -- All because of my dad. My parents are Italian immigrants from near there. I do remember the golden age of that club in the 80's of course, with Maradona. After near bankruptcy and relegation to Serie C, they have made a nice return to Serie A, and carried themselves well in Champions League. Lost a heartbreaker to eventual champion Chelsea. Napoli is very fun to watch as well.

The best fans in Italy are the Napule fans! As you know, after every goal, they sing:

"Oje vita, oje vita mia...
oje core 'e chistu core...
si' stata 'o primmo ammore...
e 'o primmo e ll'ùrdemo sarraje pe' me!

i was hoping for a more competitve game but the atmosphere was amazing. Well worth the trip.

Back