Daniss Jenkins

Going to guess he will not get drafted but will get multiple invites to nba camps and offers for G league rosters. He can be a guy that 5 years from now fans wonder, "How did he go undrafted?", but there are a plethora of talented small guards and teams will use their draft pics on size outside of premier players. Great to see he is getting noticed and indepth stats prove him out.

Here's an interesting (maybe) thought experiment concerning the scoring of Daniss Marillac Jenkins:

Is he more like Jalen Brunson (when he scores 40, the team usually wins)?
Or Donte DeVincenzo (when he scores 30 the team seems to lose a lot)?

I think you could argue it either way

He will not be easy to replace despite what his biggest critic has to say. Played UConn’s back court even each time.
He was our best player last year and it wasn’t close. He actually got significantly better as the season went on (played worse in the non-conference). If we picked up a pg in the portal from a major conference with similar stats we’d all be jumping for joy.

Regardless of anyone’s feeling on Jenkins play while here, you should all be rooting like hell for him to break through and prove Pitino guards can make the NBA even from St John’s. Put that pride to the side

Also I’m formally requesting any Daniss thread not have his biggest haters name attached to it :) with all respect due to Marillac

Regardless of anyone’s feeling on Jenkins play while here, you should all be rooting like hell for him to break through and prove Pitino guards can make the NBA even from St John’s. Put that pride to the side

Also I’m formally requesting any Daniss thread not have his biggest haters name attached to it :) with all respect due to Marillac
Do you actually think anyone would be rooting against him?

whether people are “rooting against him” or not, idk, but I don’t think we should be busting a gut laughing at him working to make an NBA roster lol
No reason to laugh at those chances. He has every bit as much of a chance to make it as Champs did. People really underestimate the importance of hard work and effort; for the borderline players, it's worth so much more than talent, size etc.

I think some of y'all need to watch more NBA basketball.
Jenkins will very likely have a long career getting paid to play basketball, but he isn't getting drafted and isn't likely to be seen after summer league, if that.

Jenkins will very likely have a long career getting paid to play basketball, but he isn't getting drafted and isn't likely to be seen after summer league, if that.
Agree, unrelated it will obviously be very tough to replace a guy who other teams had to prepare for. Greece would be nice spot & he could then recruit for us 😇

Agree, unrelated it will obviously be very tough to replace a guy who other teams had to prepare for. Greece would be nice spot & he could then recruit for us 😇
As you know I think the fact that other teams had to prepare for Jenkins when they played us was more part of the problem than the solution. I understand that if Pitino felt he was the only one who could be trusted to make plays then that was the direction he went - and he may well have been right last year.

However I would think that with another year for Luis, Wilcher, Dunlap, and incoming scoring potential from Liotopoulos and Glover, the focus for next season would very different. I would think the plan would be a PG who can defend, distribute, hit shots and drive enough to keep the defense honest, paired with a rim-protecting and rim-running center and 3 perimeter shooters. So that would be more of a transition away from the Kyrie Irving Offense instead of replacing it.

I am fairly perplexed by the (reported) targets because other than the rim-protecting center they certainly don't seem to fit the plan I expected to see. So maybe we really do intend to replace Jenkins instead of going in a different direction. Kriisa would certainly represent that - he is basically a better offensive version of Jenkins only with more turnovers and less defense. Which I can't see working, but what do I know.

I mean, you could bring in Richmond as a point-forward and use Kriisa as a secondary ball-handler to reduce his turnovers while taking advantage of his 3-point shooting. That would work, except that as much as I like Richmond as a player (and I think he's terrific), he also does not seem to be a fit for the pace we think Pitino wants to play at.

Or, he could think that he has his core group to play the game his way already with the returnees and incoming freshmen and the portal players are just to fill holes - but I can't see the names that have been floated coming here to be bench players.

It's just all very strange. I guess when the smoke clears we will see what we have.

College basketball is lucky the NBA exists. Because otherwise it would be the most unwatchable sport out there.

Back