Daily News -- Lavin watches from home as SJU wins

Della9250

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/st-john-coach-steve-lavin-forced-stay-home-due-prostate-cancer-recovery-watches-works-home-win-depaul-article-1.1026140

“I am back next year,” Lavin said, leaving no doubts. “(Mary Ann and I) don’t have a life outside of basketball at this stage of building the program,” Lavin said. “St. John’s basketball takes priority 24-7.”

I said it the other day when we ran into him at the dribble for the cure event after the UCLA game. I have no doubt he;s coming back now and anyone who is on the fence should read this article 

Great news-- I had my doubts but this put me at ease 

I must admit that I had my own doubts as well, this is just fantastic. Keep up the good work boys and finish the season strong to generate momentum going into next season.

Lavin is a rare breed now a days, he is a man of his word, with morals, and ethics. I have no doubts in him, he wears his heart on his sleeve and puts it all on the line. #inlavinwetrust

Maybe I am just a little weird, but I never doubted that Coach Lav would stick with SJU. I think when he was offered the job, he really had a pretty good position. For him to leave his analyst gig, things would have to be perfect. The school had to be a very special place that he thought he could lead out of the bowels of mediocrity. It had to be a place that he would have media coverage. It would have to have a tradition, It would have to have to be in a place where kids would want to come to. He found what he was looking for, and once he made up his mind to return to coaching St. John's was one of the few places that qualified in his mind as a special place where he could resurrect the program.
He is making a very nice salary, living in NYC surrounded by great restaurants, the theater, a beautiful wife who has interests in acting. I think she has already established a lot of contacts. I think they are living a lifestyle that most people can only dream about.
The only thing that would upset this picture would be some kind of horrible accident or illness. Well he was indeed sidetracked by his disease, It took longer to recover than he thought it would. Once he was positive that he was cancer free. He is now going to do all that he needs to do, to take care of his health, and and the basketball program at St, John's. I think now he is doing both.

Maybe I am just a little weird, but I never doubted that Coach Lav would stick with SJU. I think when he was offered the job, he really had a pretty good position. For him to leave his analyst gig, things would have to be perfect. The school had to be a very special place that he thought he could lead out of the bowels of mediocrity. It had to be a place that he would have media coverage. It would have to have a tradition, It would have to have to be in a place where kids would want to come to. He found what he was looking for, and once he made up his mind to return to coaching St. John's was one of the few places that qualified in his mind as a special place where he could resurrect the program.
He is making a very nice salary, living in NYC surrounded by great restaurants, the theater, a beautiful wife who has interests in acting. I think she has already established a lot of contacts. I think they are living a lifestyle that most people can only dream about.
The only thing that would upset this picture would be some kind of horrible accident or illness. Well he was indeed sidetracked by his disease, It took longer to recover than he thought it would. Once he was positive that he was cancer free. He is now going to do all that he needs to do, to take care of his health, and and the basketball program at St, John's. I think now he is doing both.

I agree with you. Great Post

I never doubted he would be back. Any one who has dealt with cancer, as I have with my wife, knows that the treatments knock the heck out of you and it takes a longtime to recover. My wife has been cancer free for 3 years and is still recovering her strength.
On another note, unfortunately, I had to miss the last two games because I am in Florida. I'm missing the ND game as well but all my tickets were given to St. John's fans. Hopefully when I'm not there again on Saturday we will win again!!!!  

The picture in this article made me do a double-take, with the hat and glasses Coach doesn't look like the Hollywood idol he is. 

I never doubted he would be back. Any one who has dealt with cancer, as I have with my wife, knows that the treatments knock the heck out of you and it takes a longtime to recover. My wife has been cancer free for 3 years and is still recovering her strength.
On another note, unfortunately, I had to miss the last two games because I am in Florida. I'm missing the ND game as well but all my tickets were given to St. John's fans. Hopefully when I'm not there again on Saturday we will win again!!!!  

Good for you on the tickets GB.

Back