Creighton game

Franny80

This was the worst played game of the season.  I felt the same bewilderment that I felt after we embarrassed ourselves against Kansas, a game I spent over $600 to attend with my family.  Luckily I watched this game alone.
I do not like to comment during the games since it is not over until it's over but this game was literally over after the first five minutes. The team started with the usual starters and proceeded to miss layups, rebounds and open shots. The defense was disorganized against a well coached team.  Coaching makes a big difference and it was painfully obvious tonight.

Observations after reading the game threads:
Julian Champagnie is not an NBA player.  He's a very good college player and can hit open threes when hot but his lack of defensive intensity and inability to create his own shot while  handling the ball is very apparent at this stage of his college career. He will play many years overseas.  That said, he was not the reason we lost this game.  BTW, I find it very disheartening to read comments by fans calling for Champ to transfer!  If anything, he should realize he needs to play another year to improve both his defense and ball handling.

Creighton has everything we lack in excellent in game coaching, 3 or 4 good long distance shooters and a 7'1 center who looked 7'4 next to our flat footed front line.. Speaking of height discrepancy, why would St. Johns list Champ as 6'8 when his twin is 6'6? 

One thing is obvious in that the current starting lineup is not going to get it done no matter how long Anderson tries to mold them as a functional unit..
Soriano is too slow for this level.  Mathis is a decent defender but playing the 3 position is ludicrous. This team needs more speed and tenacity to get to .500 this season. Wheeler and the freshman Stanley need to start and play more..  The Pinzon situation is a mystery. Hopefully not a transfer portal kid..
The coaching has been mediocre at best. The defense is atrocious.  At times it looks like Posh is the only player interested in playing pressure defense.  Anderson's 40 minutes of hell was a publicity stunt.  Last night I watched Duke beat Florida State in the final minutes by switching to a zone. Has Anderson ever even drilled this team in a zone defense?
Now I'm watching a well coached Rutgets team handle Iowa.
Sad to say that in year three of Anderson's tenure we are the fourth best coached team in the NY metro area.
Why oh why did St. Johns and AD Cragg renegotiate CMA's contact after year two??? Now we are stuck.  Poor recruiting and mediocre coaching.
And the beat goes on.........

Last edited:
Fran, you are spot on with your evaluation of Champagnie. He is overrated by many on this board. That does not mean he isn't a good player because he is. He is just an overrated player, who does not have NBA level talent. I for one hopes he stays and plays his senior year with us. If he does, the team will still not be any better unless the coaching staff and teammates stop treating him as the be all and end all to any success.

AlBovino post=451624 said:
Fran, you are spot on with your evaluation of Champagnie. He is overrated by many on this board. That does not mean he isn't a good player because he is. He is just an overrated player, who does not have NBA level talent. I for one hopes he stays and plays his senior year with us. If he does, the team will still not be any better unless the coaching staff and teammates stop treating him as the be all and end all to any success.

Our opinions about Champ are not what is important.  The scouting reports from last season and during his NBA workouts are the yardstick I am using.
His defense has only improved slightly but his ability to create his own shoot while dribbling is almost non-existent.  He is an excellent step-back stand still shooter but the NBA game is much faster and he is considerably less athletic and aggressive than his brother.
That doesn't mean he can't improve on those deficiencies but not to the point where scouts will see a major difference. He will do great in Europe where the game is slower and lacks pure shooters..
As for those bizarre posts imploring him to transfer, that is a toxic opinion based solely on losing games. He was a major factor in those losses. He was  missing shots,, not the coaches..  If there ever was a player at St. Johns that needed his senior year it is Julian Champagnie.  He,, Posh and AJ Storr would make a terrific trio. Bring back Wheeler and Pinzon and add an athletic big and the rest of the kids and we would have a mature team with experience playing together.

Last edited:
Back