College Football Stuff

Sju grad 13 post=438717 said:
UConn football is getting roasted for their body language after being down 10 to holy cross

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1434325634562527233?s=21

After losing at home to Holy Cross in football yesterday UConn should be looking to move its football program to the FCS. The CAA conference for football seems appropriate. That is where Villanova plays along with a number of state schools (Delaware, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Maine, StonyBrook, Albany, James Madison and Towson). If they can get UMass to go with them, they can have some nice New England rivalries.

In the back of his mind he must know that even if he's being forced into retirement, they'll end up calling on him in 2024-25 when the next hire goes 2-22. 

Paultzman post=438743 said:
Randy Edsall announced he will retire as UConn FB head coach at end of season

Short lived announcement.  He is retiring immediately.

​
How good is the UConn FBS (f/k/a "D1-A") ?

This season UConn was defeated by 10 points by The College of Holy Cross 28 to 38.  Holy Cross is a FCS program (f/k/a "D1-AA").

How good is the Holy Cross football team ?

This last week Holy Cross was trounced at home by newbe Merrimack College by a score of 21 to 35.  Merrimack was formerly a D2 school that is transitioning to FCS.

By appearance the UConn football program is in serious trouble.

Last edited:
otis post=439068 said:
 ​

This season UConn was defeated by 10 points by The College of Holy Cross 28 to 38.  Holy Cross is a FCS program (f/k/a "D1-AA").

This last week Holy Cross was trounced at home by newbe Merrimack College by a score of 21 to 35.  Merrimack was formerly a D2 school that is transitioning to FCS.

Not that I disagree but who lists the losing score first? Writer must be a real sports maven.

otis post=439068 said:
 ​

While I don't doubt that UConn's football team is bad, they were one of six FBS schools to lose to a FCS opponent that first weekend including Montana beating then FBS 20th ranked Washington 13-7.  Other FCS victories over FBS schools that first weekend were:
  • UC Davis 19 - Tulsa 17
  • Eastern Washington 35 - UNLV 33 (2OT)
  • South Dakota State 42 - Colorado State 23
  • ETSU 23 - Vanderbilt 3
This past weekend two more FCS victories over FBS opponents occurred this past weekend:
  • Jacksonville State 20 - Florida State 17
  • Duquesne 28 -. Ohio 26

otis post=439068 said:
 ​

On that note, this article just came out with quotes from the UConn AD about recent conference realignment. He was asked pretty point blank about if UConn had remained in the AAC instead of joining the Big East, would they have got invited to join the Big 12 along with Houston, Cincinnati and UCF. Honestly, I'm sure he now wishes he would have held out.

[URL]https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...David-Benedict-AAC-s-Mike-Aresco-16453689.php[/URL]

Last edited:
Uconn's best shot for a Power Five conference berth was when the ACC was expanding, They would have joined BC, Syracuse and Pitt. The conference preferred Louisville and Notre Dame, even without a full football commitment.
Perhaps, if the conference change was timed differently, Notre Dame could have joined the new Big East, where their football could have been completely independent and UConn would have been the selected by the ACC, instead.
BYU has a huge following on the west coast and in the mountain time zone, very competitive teams and a 65,000 capacity stadium. They recently beat Arizona at the new Raider stadium and sold almost 50,000 tickets. How their fans get along with the other Big 12 fans should be interesting. I believe they are scheduled to play LSU, in Las Vegas, in the near future.

Room112 post=439154 said:
otis post=439068 said:
 ​

On that note, this article just came out with quotes from the UConn AD about recent conference realignment. He was asked pretty point blank about if UConn had remained in the AAC instead of joining the Big East, would they have got invited to join the Big 12 along with Houston, Cincinnati and UCF. Honestly, I'm sure he now wishes he would have held out.

[URL]https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...David-Benedict-AAC-s-Mike-Aresco-16453689.php[/URL]
If you were the Big 12, would you have picked UConn sports programs as a whole over any one of those three school’s programs as a whole and if so why?  I sure as hell wouldn’t. 

SJU85 post=439222 said:
Room112 post=439154 said:
otis post=439068 said:
 ​

If you were the Big 12, would you have picked UConn sports programs as a whole over any one of those three school’s programs as a whole and if so why?  I sure as hell wouldn’t. 

I honestly don't follow UConn sports very closely. Obviously the football team is a disaster. And if that's the only consideration made when picking programs to join a conference then you'd be correct. I have a feeling there is a lot more to it though.

I think the three top reasons used by the big 12 to invite a school are as follows:

1 - Football
2 - Football 
3 - Football

Nothing else matters. 

As expected, the AAC is looking to expand, since they are down to eight football members. One story is they are going after the Mountain West Conference, with Boise State, Air Force, Colorado State and San Diego State the schools involved. Each move sets off another round of conference gutting. Madness.

Back