Carl Erskine

BrooklynRed

2023 $upporter
Yesterday I saw a 90 minute documentary on PBS-channel 13 on Carl Erskine, the remaining core member of the Boys of Summer--the 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers.

I remember when I was young an Oisk was one of the Dodger stars. He always gave his all on the field. My wife knew his family because they "summered" in Brooklyn a few houses away. She played with his 2 older sons and Carl's daughter used her crib one season. She had memories and photos of the party in 1955 when they won the series--at last. In the late 1970's Carl and his wife visited the Walk to see some old neighbors who asked us to come over. I was in awe in meeting one of the heros of my youth and noticed a piece of jewelry on his finger. his world series ring. He noticed my looking at it and took it off for me to get a better look. Wow what an experience to hold an actual world series ring of a favorite of your youth. As the afternoon went on Carl spoke of his youngest son, Jimmy, who was born in 1960 with Down's syndrome.

Carl spoke with pride in his son and his own involvement in the Special Olympics. He related how he worked with Jimmy to help him prepare to compete in a dash, going through detail from ready set go to the way to go and to cross the finish line only on the day of the race he found out the one item he didn't practice--the gun to start the race which when it went off froze Jimmy at the starting line. It was amazing to think of this great athlete, Carl, and his pride in his son and devotion to handicapped children.

The documentary goes into the human side of a professional athlete who was truly a Christian gentleman who practiced what preached. He was ahead of his time in race relations starting in elementary and high school to his relationship with Jackie Robinson to his work for the special needs children starting with his son Jimmy who he was tolkd should be institutionalized but who Carl and his family brought home and raised. It is a wonderful story of a successful baseball player who had great values and I would recommend that you try to find it and view it; it is a feel good story.

Yesterday I saw a 90 minute documentary on PBS-channel 13 on Carl Erskine, the remaining core member of the Boys of Summer--the 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers.

I remember when I was young an Oisk was one of the Dodger stars. He always gave his all on the field. My wife knew his family because they "summered" in Brooklyn a few houses away. She played with his 2 older sons and Carl's daughter used her crib one season. She had memories and photos of the party in 1955 when they won the series--at last. In the late 1970's Carl and his wife visited the Walk to see some old neighbors who asked us to come over. I was in awe in meeting one of the heros of my youth and noticed a piece of jewelry on his finger. his world series ring. He noticed my looking at it and took it off for me to get a better look. Wow what an experience to hold an actual world series ring of a favorite of your youth. As the afternoon went on Carl spoke of his youngest son, Jimmy, who was born in 1960 with Down's syndrome.

Carl spoke with pride in his son and his own involvement in the Special Olympics. He related how he worked with Jimmy to help him prepare to compete in a dash, going through detail from ready set go to the way to go and to cross the finish line only on the day of the race he found out the one item he didn't practice--the gun to start the race which when it went off froze Jimmy at the starting line. It was amazing to think of this great athlete, Carl, and his pride in his son and devotion to handicapped children.

The documentary goes into the human side of a professional athlete who was truly a Christian gentleman who practiced what preached. He was ahead of his time in race relations starting in elementary and high school to his relationship with Jackie Robinson to his work for the special needs children starting with his son Jimmy who he was tolkd should be institutionalized but who Carl and his family brought home and raised. It is a wonderful story of a successful baseball player who had great values and I would recommend that you try to find it and view it; it is a feel good story.
Thanks for sharing BR. I'll look for it and watch it.

Thanks for sharing BR. I'll look for it and watch it.
Oisk was always class personified.

It was probably around 1952, Flag Day, my brother took me to Ebbetts's.

Into the 9th inning against the Cubbies, one out and Oisk has a no hitter going.
Phil Cavaretta a feared good hitting leftie hits a screaming line drive that hooks foul
down the right field line
Oisk gets him and the next guy and Oisk has a no-hitter and Brooklyn goes crazee !

Some things you never forget.
Be well Oisk, you're our last Boy of Summer.

Oisk was always class personified.

It was probably around 1952, Flag Day, my brother took me to Ebbetts's.

Into the 9th inning against the Cubbies, one out and Oisk has a no hitter going.
Phil Cavaretta a feared good hitting leftie hits a screaming line drive that hooks foul
down the right field line
Oisk gets him and the next guy and Oisk has a no-hitter and Brooklyn goes crazee !

Some things you never forget.
Be well Oisk, you're our last Boy of Summer.
Great story Swish! Thanks for sharing.

Oisk was always a non drinker. Back in the day, a successful game meant an appearance on the post game show which I believe was Happy Feltman's Knot Hole gang. The fee was a product, a case of Schaffer which Carl would bring home and the men of the walk he lived on shared in Carl's success.

Played ball Sunday mornings for years with guys of varying abilities, sometimes resembled rugby more than basketball, but a great time always; it was “I may knock you down but I will help you up” ball, included bar hopping, dinners, card games, trips to the track, etc. Anyway, we jokingly called ourselves The Boys of Summer in tribute to Dem Bums. Sunday ball has been replaced with coffee but all else, except the bar hopping, remain.

Yesterday's NY Times surprisingly had a sports article about Carl as the Last of the Boys of Summer. The article covered Carl's life outside of Baseball and how he is being honored for his work. On Saturday he is being awarded the Buck O'Neil Lifetime Achievement Award which is awarded every 3 years for positive contributions to baseball's impact on society. This is well deserved and I am glad Carl is being recognized for all he has done while he is still alive.
I would have attached the story but I a technology challenged so maybe someone else would be kind enough to.

Thanks Wolfie!

Back