Bermuda

No, she's a lot prettier than Mark but she griped about helmet head and had to get her hair done on the boat. They did a good job though and we used the scooter every day. The island is 23 miles long and we covered it all. I keeep going back because it's the best place I know. If anyone has any other recommendations I'd like to hear them.

Obviously I'll have to wait to compare the two, but St. John in the USVI is pretty stunning. About 60 percent of the island is a national park so naturally it's cleaner, less populated, less developed, harder to get to (about 90 mins from the St. Thomas airport including a ferry) and home to some of the the Caribbean's best beaches.

If you're really adventurous, I would suggest the Cook Islands in the South Pacific - perhaps my favorite place in the world. Air New Zealand flies directly from L.A. to Rarotonga. It's nine hours, but worth it. Polynesian hospitality, bungalows a few steps from the beach, mountains covered by a rainforest, a never-ending breeze, super clean and a coral reef that surrounds the island making for calm, bathtub-like waters. I can think of no better place to decompress and forget about the rest of the world.

I honeymooned in Bermuda and returned for our 10 year anniversary, and would say it's my second favorite island. St. John is a place I return to every year, and will be visiting next week again. The beaches are just spectacular there, and its a quiet, low population, low crime place. The restaurants are pretty good, and St. Thomas is accessible by directo flight from NYC.

The Cook Islands sound phenomenal though. BEst I've done in that regard (South PAcific) is HAwaii.

We took the same cruise in the beginning of June on Holland America. Hamilton's fun for shopping but the attractions are out of town. Tobacco Bay near St George is a must for a swim. I agree the Swizzle Inn is a fine stop off and there are two of them to choose from. We discovered the Aquarium and Zoo this time and found it to be great. A can't miss attraction. The Crystal Caves are impressive but be prepared for some serious climbing on foot. There are two trips and we crapped out on the second and got a 50% refund on a super hot day. The beaches are all good but Church Bay is always the most private. If you see a dozen people it's a lot and the walk down is reasonable. The Veendam is a nice boat but you have to dress up a couple of times. We soon discovered that the buffet on deck 11 had the same food as the main dining room and more of it. It's nice and you can pick and chose and shoot through if you want to make a show. A scooter is a super convenience on the island if you can ride it but watch out for tail gaters and remember to keep left if you rent one. This was my third time there and we're already getting ready to book a return trip next Spring on Celebrity out of Bayonne. Unfortunately Holland is done with Bermuda after this year.

The first time my wife ever used profanity to me was after we became spearated with me in the lead while on scooters in Bermuda. Since then it's a frequent occasion, with due cause.

I just went last year, but only for a couple of days. Ship docked at King's Wharf, took the ferry over to St. George's. Walked through town, took a bus to the Crystal Caves to look at the stalactite/stalagmite in the caverns (enjoyable, even for my teenagers).

I spoke with a local guy on the bus - he told me Horsehoe Bay is his favorite. Went down to Horseshoe Bay (just down the road from Elbow Beach) for the rest of the afternoon. I think you cannot go wrong with any of the beaches on the south side - Elbow, Horseshoe, Stonehole, Surf Side, Coral - all right there, all magnificent.

The kids swam out to a big platform rock - be careful if the current is strong - don't want to lose you!

Also walked through Hamilton the next day. Mostly tourist based businesses (no surprise), NYC/DC prices thereabout. I thought I'd see more local artisan created items, but not as many as I would have thought or wanted.

All the best to you and your wife and your soon to be newborn!

[attachment]849_2012-07-24.JPG[/attachment]     

We took the same cruise in the beginning of June on Holland America. .
  Now that we know a little more about Mark Jackson, is that the other person in the WE? :p

No, she's a lot prettier than Mark but she griped about helmet head and had to get her hair done on the boat. They did a good job though and we used the scooter every day. The island is 23 miles long and we covered it all. I keeep going back because it's the best place I know. If anyone has any other recommendations I'd like to hear them.

Cozumel, Mexico is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. Mayen temples, some of the best scuba diving I've ever done (the second largest natural reef in the world). I saw the most specatular marine life I have ever seen there. The safest place in Mexico. It's and island off the Yucatan Penninsula. The locals don't let anyone mess with their tourist dollars. I am told that if anyone trys to do anything to any of the tourists, the locals give them some "Island Justice". There are beautiful beaches, great food, wonderful people and a lot of fun. Try it, you'll love it!

We took the same cruise in the beginning of June on Holland America. .
  Now that we know a little more about Mark Jackson, is that the other person in the WE? :p

Cozumel, Mexico is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. Mayen temples, some of the best scuba diving I've ever done (the second largest natural reef in the world). I saw the most specatular marine life I have ever seen there. The safest place in Mexico. It's and island off the Yucatan Penninsula. The locals don't let anyone mess with their tourist dollars. I am told that if anyone trys to do anything to any of the tourists, the locals give them some "Island Justice". There are beautiful beaches, great food, wonderful people and a lot of fun. Try it, you'll love it!

Sounds good. Thanks.

I just went last year, but only for a couple of days. Ship docked at King's Wharf, took the ferry over to St. George's. Walked through town, took a bus to the Crystal Caves to look at the stalactite/stalagmite in the caverns (enjoyable, even for my teenagers).

I spoke with a local guy on the bus - he told me Horsehoe Bay is his favorite. Went down to Horseshoe Bay (just down the road from Elbow Beach) for the rest of the afternoon. I think you cannot go wrong with any of the beaches on the south side - Elbow, Horseshoe, Stonehole, Surf Side, Coral - all right there, all magnificent.

The kids swam out to a big platform rock - be careful if the current is strong - don't want to lose you!

Also walked through Hamilton the next day. Mostly tourist based businesses (no surprise), NYC/DC prices thereabout. I thought I'd see more local artisan created items, but not as many as I would have thought or wanted.

All the best to you and your wife and your soon to be newborn!

[attachment]849_2012-07-24.JPG[/attachment]     

Horshoe's nice but usually crowded. They also hit you for 8 bucks plus a big deposit for a beach chair. The walk down is tough and a guy there charges 2 bucks a head for a ride up. It's worth it. Grab a couple of extra towells as you exit the boat. They come in handy and are free. Split up and each ask for two. I swam at Church bay until a fish as tall as me showed up. Otherwise it was delightful.

Back