Attendance

JSJ your idea of the glory days and mine differ way back when MSG was on 49th street SJU averaged well over 12,000 per game many years. And it was not unhead of for major games to be standing room only.

Leave Lavin to build and they will come! 

JSJ your idea of the glory days and mine differ way back when MSG was on 49th street SJU averaged well over 12,000 per game many years. And it was not unhead of for major games to be standing room only.

Yes, back when we were consistently good for decades.

As a season ticket holder since 1971, I think I have seen my fair share of St. John's basketball. After last season, I am mildly disappointed with the turnout thus far, particularly by the student body. In his first year, Coach Lavin got us to the NCAA and brought in a top recruiting class. Just thought the fan base would be more appreciative of his efforts. Let's see how many show up at MSG for next Sunday's game versus the Hoyas.

As a season ticket holder since 1971, I think I have seen my fair share of St. John's basketball. After last season, I am mildly disappointed with the turnout thus far, particularly by the student body. In his first year, Coach Lavin got us to the NCAA and brought in a top recruiting class. Just thought the fan base would be more appreciative of his efforts. Let's see how many show up at MSG for next Sunday's game versus the Hoyas.

The students have been on break for every MSG home game. We are still on break for the Georgetown game. Every student section has trouble with the turnout on breaks.

Since most of the students are from the nyc area and long island I find it hard to understand why they cant make it to the game even when on break

I think we have to be fair about one thing, the students on break is a big deal. Getting to Manhattan, to MSG, is not easy.

That said, I am not against MSG but why not fill up Alumni then slowly move back to MSG? What is better for the program? 12,000 vs UCONN in a 19,000 seat arena with 4,000 chanting LETS GO HUSKIES? Or 7,000 in Queens all revved up for SJU?

I know when I go to games, when I see 7,000 empty seats at MSG I get depressed, when I see a full Alumni Hall I get excited

I think we have to be fair about one thing, the students on break is a big deal. Getting to Manhattan, to MSG, is not easy.

That said, I am not against MSG but why not fill up Alumni then slowly move back to MSG? What is better for the program? 12,000 vs UCONN in a 19,000 seat arena with 4,000 chanting LETS GO HUSKIES? Or 7,000 in Queens all revved up for SJU?

I know when I go to games, when I see 7,000 empty seats at MSG I get depressed, when I see a full Alumni Hall I get excited

Filling the arena is better. More money= better coaches/facilities. I remind people that SJU has higher overall attendane than EVERY PAC-10 team except Arizona. That is even in "down" years. People are overstating a problem that really lies in MSG being just a bit bigger than we need rather than Carnesecca Arena being the answer.

Optimally. We'd have an 8K on-campus arena and MSG would seat 17,000 but that is simply not the case. We'll fill more if and when we're more consistently successful.

Since most of the students are from the nyc area and long island I find it hard to understand why they cant make it to the game even when on break

Work, vacation, travel restrictions. Most people who go to games go with groups of their friends. It's hard to get a group of your friends together to go to the game when everyone is spread out across the area doing different things. Also transportation is significantly more difficult during break for many students. In my particular case I had to leave my house at 3 to make the 7 PM tip and didn't get home until midnight, and it costs me 25 dollars in train tickets. Carnesecca games are a little easier for me because I can drive there but it's still a lot harder than hopping on the E train. Like I said though, it happens everywhere. I just think it's magnified at MSG because they spread the students out amongst the sections behind each basket and because the arena is so big but in reality it is the same number of students who would be at a break game at any other school. Our student turnout at the Lousiville game was better than the vast majority of Norm Roberts era games that were while school was in session so we have some work to do but it is getting better.

Oh yes I forgot it is soooooo very hard to get to Manhattan, The student has to get out of bed and travel all the way to the nearest LIRR stop (probably mom or dad is driving them to the station). Then take a train ride of as much as 35 or 45 minutes before he/she can get to Penn Station. Oh yes and then they need to walk up stairs, so many steps, I get tired thinking of them and then walk in thru the gate. I feel out of breath already.

Need to play a certain amount of BE games at MSG each year to meet conference minimum attendance CAPACITY standards. CA is well below the number of seats required, more so since the renovation, so I think they have to play a minimum of 4 conference games at MSG just to meet up with their conference charter obligation.

Oh yes I forgot it is soooooo very hard to get to Manhattan, The student has to get out of bed and travel all the way to the nearest LIRR stop (probably mom or dad is driving them to the station). Then take a train ride of as much as 35 or 45 minutes before he/she can get to Penn Station. Oh yes and then they need to walk up stairs, so many steps, I get tired thinking of them and then walk in thru the gate. I feel out of breath already.

Compared to other colleges, yes it is. Getting on a train, 90 minutes round trip, dealing with the added expsne of travel, MSG prices, midtown prices, etc is a lot of work for a student even not on break. To get on a train to MSG 10 times a year to see a team that has become a lower tier Big East team is a lot to expect form a student base that is scattered about Queens/Long island.

Compared to Syracuse, where kids can walk to the dome from their dorms in 5-10 minutes, or Duke where they can party in a tent all night, you really need to be a fan of the program to go to the game. To me it is no coincidence that the schools who do not play games on campus (SJU, Gtown, Miami football, etc have trouble drawing large student sections unless they are really good.)

Not trying to be difficult, we all want the same thing, a great atmosphere for the games, i Just think MSG is too big for where the team is right now to expect a crowd weeknights

Filling the arena is better. More money= better coaches/facilities. I remind people that SJU has higher overall attendane than EVERY PAC-10 team except Arizona. That is even in "down" years. People are overstating a problem that really lies in MSG being just a bit bigger than we need rather than Carnesecca Arena being the answer.

Optimally. We'd have an 8K on-campus arena and MSG would seat 17,000 but that is simply not the case. We'll fill more if and when we're more consistently successful.
 Great point...Too bad MSG cant draw a curtain around top tier to make it more cozy yet crowded

Well hopefully people come out Sunday for Georgetown. Game starts at 12:00, so plenty of time to go watch and then get to wherever you need to be for the Giants game (which will start at like 4:30). 

NYC is the easiest place in the world to get to. DePaul & Seton Hall play their games at arenas that are not even in the same city as their campus, they had very nice turn outs this past week at home. Same with Villanova when they are not playing at the Pavilion. Yes for some getting to MSG may be a trek but I don't believe that every St. John's student lives in Suffolk County.  

The reasoning that we should have tons of students showing up during break isn't a realistic one. I am currently a sophomore living on campus. I live on LI during breaks and have attended every game since the start of freshman year.

Regardless of what some of you believe, there are a good number of students from outside the area. These students are the ones you find caring for the program. They're the ones who came to St. John's for the "college experience" of going away to college and cheering on their school team. The commuters you guys rag on to come to games? They haven't come in the past and they're not going to start now. They treat STJ like a second high school - making no effort to get involved in anything outside of classes. **I'm sure there are commuters who aren't like this, but it is the majority.**

So, yes, I actually DO have a good number of friends who are currently in California, not to mention Mass, CT, PA, Michigan, Florida..the list goes on. They're the ones who have the season tickets, not the kid working two jobs and living with his parents in Queens.

At the Pitt game last year, the entire student sections on both sides behind the basket were filled to capacity. That was a combination of the rise of the team AND the fact that the game was during the semester. This year, there are far more student season ticket holders and I assure you it will be on display come late January and February.

One last note: Don't expect there to be a good student crowd against Georgetown. We're still on break and on top of that Georgetown students aren't. They're sending up 100 students in addition to alumni trips.

So here's to a great semester of tons of student involvement and some good wins. Lets go redmen! :woohoo:

The reasoning that we should have tons of students showing up during break isn't a realistic one. I am currently a sophomore living on campus. I live on LI during breaks and have attended every game since the start of freshman year.

Regardless of what some of you believe, there are a good number of students from outside the area. These students are the ones you find caring for the program. They're the ones who came to St. John's for the "college experience" of going away to college and cheering on their school team. The commuters you guys rag on to come to games? They haven't come in the past and they're not going to start now. They treat STJ like a second high school - making no effort to get involved in anything outside of classes. **I'm sure there are commuters who aren't like this, but it is the majority.**

So, yes, I actually DO have a good number of friends who are currently in California, not to mention Mass, CT, PA, Michigan, Florida..the list goes on. They're the ones who have the season tickets, not the kid working two jobs and living with his parents in Queens.

At the Pitt game last year, the entire student sections on both sides behind the basket were filled to capacity. That was a combination of the rise of the team AND the fact that the game was during the semester. This year, there are far more student season ticket holders and I assure you it will be on display come late January and February.

One last note: Don't expect there to be a good student crowd against Georgetown. We're still on break and on top of that Georgetown students aren't. They're sending up 100 students in addition to alumni trips.

So here's to a great semester of tons of student involvement and some good wins. Lets go redmen! :woohoo:

Very good points, also most if not all of the students, unlike us, do not care.know anything about the old days when SJU was a hotter ticket then the Knicks. They are 18 -21 , they come in to SJU without any sense of the program. I guess in the end, winning cures all.

Georgetown IS still on break, so many of their students will be home in NY for the game! It's funny but many of them will get on the train and make it to the game!

Georgetown IS still on break, so many of their students will be home in NY for the game! It's funny but many of them will get on the train and make it to the game!

Few georgetown students make it out. Mostly alums and businessmen working in NYC.

Back