Attendance

The reasoning that we should have tons of students showing up during break isn't a realistic one. I am currently a sophomore living on campus. I live on LI during breaks and have attended every game since the start of freshman year.

Regardless of what some of you believe, there are a good number of students from outside the area. These students are the ones you find caring for the program. They're the ones who came to St. John's for the "college experience" of going away to college and cheering on their school team. The commuters you guys rag on to come to games? They haven't come in the past and they're not going to start now. They treat STJ like a second high school - making no effort to get involved in anything outside of classes. **I'm sure there are commuters who aren't like this, but it is the majority.**

So, yes, I actually DO have a good number of friends who are currently in California, not to mention Mass, CT, PA, Michigan, Florida..the list goes on. They're the ones who have the season tickets, not the kid working two jobs and living with his parents in Queens.

At the Pitt game last year, the entire student sections on both sides behind the basket were filled to capacity. That was a combination of the rise of the team AND the fact that the game was during the semester. This year, there are far more student season ticket holders and I assure you it will be on display come late January and February.

One last note: Don't expect there to be a good student crowd against Georgetown. We're still on break and on top of that Georgetown students aren't. They're sending up 100 students in addition to alumni trips.

So here's to a great semester of tons of student involvement and some good wins. Lets go redmen! :woohoo:

Thank you, I've been saying this for 5 years!! The commuters that everyone thinks should be filling the student sections just treat this as a community college, they come for class and they leave, they probably couldn't name a single player on the team. Many of the people that go to games don't necessarily live close, and many of the core people you see at the games during break like myself are the one's who do live local. I'm certainly not getting into this argument again but I think once we become a consistent top 25 team in the very near future, the Pitt crowd from last year is gonna become much closer to the norm than the Louisville game.

The reasoning that we should have tons of students showing up during break isn't a realistic one. I am currently a sophomore living on campus. I live on LI during breaks and have attended every game since the start of freshman year.

Regardless of what some of you believe, there are a good number of students from outside the area. These students are the ones you find caring for the program. They're the ones who came to St. John's for the "college experience" of going away to college and cheering on their school team. The commuters you guys rag on to come to games? They haven't come in the past and they're not going to start now. They treat STJ like a second high school - making no effort to get involved in anything outside of classes. **I'm sure there are commuters who aren't like this, but it is the majority.**

So, yes, I actually DO have a good number of friends who are currently in California, not to mention Mass, CT, PA, Michigan, Florida..the list goes on. They're the ones who have the season tickets, not the kid working two jobs and living with his parents in Queens.

At the Pitt game last year, the entire student sections on both sides behind the basket were filled to capacity. That was a combination of the rise of the team AND the fact that the game was during the semester. This year, there are far more student season ticket holders and I assure you it will be on display come late January and February.

One last note: Don't expect there to be a good student crowd against Georgetown. We're still on break and on top of that Georgetown students aren't. They're sending up 100 students in addition to alumni trips.

So here's to a great semester of tons of student involvement and some good wins. Lets go redmen! :woohoo:

Georgetown IS still on break, so many of their students will be home in NY for the game! It's funny but many of them will get on the train and make it to the game!

Georgetown starts class on Wednesday so yes, their break will be over when we play them this weekend.

I'd be very curious to know what the breakup/percentage of Redmen.com members are actually students, alumni, and non student/alumni fans. I get the sense that it's more alumni than students.  Curious as to what others think.

Georgetown IS still on break, so many of their students will be home in NY for the game! It's funny but many of them will get on the train and make it to the game!

Georgetown starts class on Wednesday so yes, their break will be over when we play them this weekend.

Thats great! So the Garden will be all ours for our students to fill! ;)

the majority are alumni but there are a number of students here on the site. what i can say is there are more students that come from out of state compared to 10 years ago but still there are plenty of students who should fill those seats at the garden.  

I am an Alum, formerly a commuter ('70's), and with SJU being such a big school, with such a large percentage of kids that worked part-time like me, naturally the school spirit wanes compared to other schools, where there is on-campus rah-rah stuff.

I found from '71 to '78, my classmates (all commuters--no dorms at all back then) for the most part didn't follow our basketball team much, just too busy, I guess. Most of the female students in the '70's could care less about our basketball team, and many of the males too for that matter.

While I was post-grad at SJU, I can vouch that most Graduate Program students could care less about the over-all University much less the BB or sports teams, they are there for one thing and one thing only, getting that post-grad degree and finding a job.

During those years I went to our games and the friends that went to the games with me were commuters from other NYC colleges, mostly Brooklyn College, basketball fans!

I think it is fair to say it has always been a problem for a school with all commuters, but I think with the on campus housing over time it will continue to change for the better. I bet Fordham, Manhattan and other local schools with a lot of commuters have the same experience.

I'd be very curious to know what the breakup/percentage of Redmen.com members are actually students, alumni, and non student/alumni fans. I get the sense that it's more alumni than students.  Curious as to what others think.

On the old site there was a thread and I think it was like 50/50. A lot of non student/alumni fans we have.

Reason for the scourge? Better bring your extended family of you don't want Cuse fans occupying the seats...

http://www.syracusefan.com/threads/half-price-tickets-for-st-johns-game.13887/

How do the cuse boards know about ticket deals to our home games when we haven't even heard about them yet?

I certainly have friends and family who would go to the game. But just like some of those discounts for the CvC earlier this year, we never hear about them.

Reason for the scourge? Better bring your extended family of you don't want Cuse fans occupying the seats...

http://www.syracusefan.com/threads/half-price-tickets-for-st-johns-game.13887/

How do the cuse boards know about ticket deals to our home games when we haven't even heard about them yet?

I certainly have friends and family who would go to the game. But just like some of those discounts for the CvC earlier this year, we never hear about them.

Exactly...

First, I know I have stated it before but I am a non student/non alumni fan. I am from LI, my dad went to SJU in the early 70s, commuted, and went to games and was a huge fan. Started bringing me to games when I was a little kid and just became a diehard basically. I went to a small liberal arts school without a D1 team so it stuck, and I am now a grad student in the city, and it will never go away. People always wonder how I am an SJU fan, but I consider SJU NY's big time college bball team, just like the Yankees are the baseball team of NY (for at least the smart ones among us, I kid).

I haven't got Cuse tickets yet, I ended up not buying season tix last minute, bc I cant get from school to on campus games, and I use my student ID to buy $15 tickets for home MSG games the day of. I cannot justify spending the money to sit in the 400s, but I am hoping there are tickets left game day for $15. Luckily for me, lots of Cuse kids my age are doing the same, so they haven't bought yet either. A lot of of Cuse kids I know have bought there tix bc they consider it the only time to definitely see there team. I wanted to buy a lot and get SJU fans in the Garden but I cannot afford it. I will go the day of and try and get my $15 ticket though. 

Back