Arsenal vs. Bayern Munich UEFA Champs League

TX Redman

Tomorrow could see the fourth wheel come off Arsenal's 2013 wagon. Three are already in the ditch. The Premiership is Man Utd's to lose. Brentford dumped Arsenal out of the Capital One / Carling / Milk / League Cup. On Saturday, the Gunners dominated Blackburn every which way except the most important stat of all - putting the ball in the net - and were eliminated from the FA Cup. Wenger's last tiny, miniscule hope is the Champions League. A small miracle is needed.

Bayern Munich are dominating the Bundesliga with a 15 point lead. The Germans have household names like Ribery, Robben, Lahm, Gomez, Mandzukic and my favorite curse-word: Bastian Schweinsteiger. What a name, what a player.

Munich will not park the bus. Arsenal will score. Wilshere, Cazorla, Podolski, Walcott, Ramsey were all rested (except for 20 mins) on Sat and should be fresh. But then there is the kamikaze defense that always finds a way to concede. I predict the Arsenal win the first leg (at the Emirates) 2-1.

Tomorrow could see the fourth wheel come off Arsenal's 2013 wagon. Three are already in the ditch. The Premiership is Man Utd's to lose. Brentford dumped Arsenal out of the Capital One / Carling / Milk / League Cup. On Saturday, the Gunners dominated Blackburn every which way except the most important stat of all - putting the ball in the net - and were eliminated from the FA Cup. Wenger's last tiny, miniscule hope is the Champions League. A small miracle is needed.

Bayern Munich are dominating the Bundesliga with a 15 point lead. The Germans have household names like Ribery, Robben, Lahm, Gomez, Mandzukic and my favorite curse-word: Bastian Schweinsteiger. What a name, what a player.

Munich will not park the bus. Arsenal will score. Wilshere, Cazorla, Podolski, Walcott, Ramsey were all rested (except for 20 mins) on Sat and should be fresh. But then there is the kamikaze defense that always finds a way to concede. I predict the Arsenal win the first leg (at the Emirates) 2-1.

Your lips to God's ears.

Your lips to God's ears.

Well, the outgoing German Pope clearly has more influence upstairs than me. Dismal, dire, diabolical. The usual horrorshow at the back.

In the words of the great Roy Orbison, it's over.

Sadly it might be time to part ways with Wegner.

Too bad Pep made the early jump. Would have loved to see him at the Emirates.

I was so happy to have off today to watch this shellacking. I support two teams: Spurs and Bayern.
Going out tomorrow night for a friend's birthday, definitely wearing my Lahm kit....

Moose, I agree. The last few years have become a slow death spiral. Despite not winning any trophies since 2005, they always qualified for the Champions League and all its glamor and $s. 2013 might see that streak end. I think they will struggle to catch Spurs and Chelsea and the Europa League beckons.

Don’t get me wrong, Wenger has been great since 1997 but his knack for finding talent seems to have diminished. Furthermore, teams outside the Big Four seem to have a scouting edge. The days of unearthing a Vieira, Henry, Piers or Ljungberg are over. Swansea and Newcastle are finding the Michu’s and Tiote’s. The Man U's, Chelsea's and Man City's buy who they want. Arsenal seem to waste a lot of $s on non-impact guys like Denilson, Arshavin, Santos, some Korean dude.

I thought Bould replacing Rice would help but the comedy defending seems to be even worse this year.

What worries me is that almost everyone he brings in seems to regress: Arshavin, Vermaelen, the Ox, Cazorla, Arteta. Failing to keep RvP and Song sends the wrong message. Players like Mert and Podolski are good squad players but not A team material. The current XI lack fight and Wenger never roasts them the way Fergie or Mourhino would. I hope they can keep Wilshere.

Complicating all this is the absentee owners and alleged warchest that Arsene won’t spend. The new stadium loaded the club with debt and David Dein is sorely missed.

Still things have been a lot worse. We had some pitiful teams in the mid-70’ and mid-80’s. Terry Neill had a good run 1978-80 and George Graham ran a tight ship in the late 80’s, early 90’s. But sometimes change is good and Arsene needs bid adieu.

Milan 2-0 Barca. Wow!

Moose, I agree. The last few years have become a slow death spiral. Despite not winning any trophies since 2005, they always qualified for the Champions League and all its glamor and $s. 2013 might see that streak end. I think they will struggle to catch Spurs and Chelsea and the Europa League beckons.

Don’t get me wrong, Wenger has been great since 1997 but his knack for finding talent seems to have diminished. Furthermore, teams outside the Big Four seem to have a scouting edge. The days of unearthing a Vieira, Henry, Piers or Ljungberg are over. Swansea and Newcastle are finding the Michu’s and Tiote’s. The Man U's, Chelsea's and Man City's buy who they want. Arsenal seem to waste a lot of $s on non-impact guys like Denilson, Arshavin, Santos, some Korean dude.

I thought Bould replacing Rice would help but the comedy defending seems to be even worse this year.

What worries me is that almost everyone he brings in seems to regress: Arshavin, Vermaelen, the Ox, Cazorla, Arteta. Failing to keep RvP and Song sends the wrong message. Players like Mert and Podolski are good squad players but not A team material. The current XI lack fight and Wenger never roasts them the way Fergie or Mourhino would. I hope they can keep Wilshere.

Complicating all this is the absentee owners and alleged warchest that Arsene won’t spend. The new stadium loaded the club with debt and David Dein is sorely missed.

Still things have been a lot worse. We had some pitiful teams in the mid-70’ and mid-80’s. Terry Neill had a good run 1978-80 and George Graham ran a tight ship in the late 80’s, early 90’s. But sometimes change is good and Arsene needs bid adieu.

Milan 2-0 Barca. Wow!
Really, you don't think Podolski is A team?

[/quote] Really, you don't think Podolski is A team?[/quote]

When he is on, he is an "A" player. You don't score buckets of goals like he has in the past unless you have it. But the problem is he goes AWOL for long stretches. Maybe it is the way he deployed on the left wing and he prefers a more central role. I looked up his goals to game ration for Arsenal and it is on par with when he was with Cologne. I just keep expecting more from him. His record with the German national team is excellent. He also seems to have a good understanding with Gibbs, which is important.
Maybe I was being too critical...

A little off topic, but I didn't think this warranted a new thread...About 150 Spurs fans attacked in a English-styled Pub in Lyon, France last night apparently by far right-wing Anti-Semites/Nazi wannabes. This after violence last month in Lazio, which was a bit worse, but disgusting nonetheless. I guess there anti-Semites everywhere, but in Italy and France surprises me a little.

Moussa Dembele with a massive goal to get Tottenham back to the San Siro next month for a Round of 16 date with Inter. Basically was the site of the Gareth Bale coming out party 2 years ago in the Champions League. COYS

Oh...and how about AC Milan defeating Barca by 2 goals yesterday? Stunning. My boy Prince Boateng with the first goal, which, hahaha, probably shouldn't have counted.

Guiness, I guess I forgot you are a Tootenham fan. Once of my friends is from there and I cheer for them when they play, although I definitiely hate the EPL in general.

Guiness, I guess I forgot you are a Tootenham fan. Once of my friends is from there and I cheer for them when they play, although I definitiely hate the EPL in general.

Rich

Forgot your a Bundi fan. I've been reading up on it a lot. Can't root for Munich because I don't need to be a bandwagon jumper. Debating between Bremen, Hamburg, Hannover and Stuttgart.

Tottenham first and foremost...Bayern, second. I'm Irish and German. Spurs because of Robbie Keane and Bayern because of my mother.

Have I mentioned Oliver Kahn is my favorite goalie of all-time? I love your avatar.

Back