Am I too negative

Beasts of the East

2023 $upporter
You may be unaware of all the good things Jayson Williams has done since attaining sobriety and getting his life under control.

Jayson has founded a unique drug and alcohol rehab facility called Rebound! and is very much a hands on CEO running the facility. The cost of a stay in rehab is very high and Jayson will frequently pay part or all of the cost of a patient in need and solicits donations as well. A tireless worker, he will often make middle of the night trips to pick up an addict or alcoholuc in need to bring them to the facility, even over great distances.

His methods include some crazy physical challenges, including skydiving. The wisdom I'm told, is if someone terrified of skydiving can jump out of a plane to overcome that fear, then the seeds are planted that you can achieve something you never thought you could, namely sobriety.

Mention Jayson's name to someone who knows him or been helped by him, and they will immediately gush over how great a person he is (and has become).

Like many 12 step programs, belief in a higher power is an essential part of recovery, and Rebound is no different.

Every Wednesday morning Curtis Martin (NFL HOF) leads a bible study teleconference for Rebound alums that starts sharply at 8:45 and wraps by 9:30. It's not a traditional chapter and verse study, but takes topics that Martin focuses on, and relies on scripture to support the teaching points. Martin has done this quietly for many years in support of Jayson's facility.

I sat in on one session and Martin asserted something I had never heard before - that for the average person, 7 out of every 10 thoughts are negative. That it is in our complex nature to be habitually negative. I listened intently to Martin, who is a powerful and faithful speaker, who manages to communicate without preaching, exposing his own weaknesses to an audience that understands human frailty all too well.

That invitation to sit in had me thinking. Just how negative am I? Sometines i feel that if the average person has 7 out of 10 negative thoughts, surely i sometimes must have 8 msybe 9.

Martin's message was clear - that negativity is destructive. It eats you from the inside, and espousing it never makes your audience feel good. If there is an Evil One, he would surely relish that himanity is so prone to negative tboughts. Easy prey for him.

I gained an immediate deep regard for Curtis, and a deeper one for Jayson. I fail more often than not, but try to check myself, combat negative thoughts to reflect on trying to see the good side of whatever and whomever and whetever to megativity is trying to lead me.

This is maybe a random muse, but on here where so many topics lend towards negative reactions, i posted this as food for tbought.

God bless Jayson for turning his lufe around one day at a time to help others, and men like Curtis Martin, who live quiet lives of admirable faith and giving.

Your ability to consistently stay positive on here is one of the best thibgs about red.fans. Thank you!
Thx. For me easier to be nice then to bring people down so try to stay upbeat in life. But when I’m home Nat will tell you I definitely need an hour or 2 to decompress :)

Mike,
I fixed the 2nd sentence for you:

But when I’m home Nat will tell you I definitely need an hour and 2 pale ales to decompress :)

Mike,
I fixed the 2nd sentence for you:

But when I’m home Nat will tell you I definitely need an hour and 2 pale ales to decompress :)
No one will believe this but I almost never drink at home unless having a party or doing backyard fire with neighbors. Regardless of being in Peru now I actually have no beer at home and probably won’t for months :) doesn’t mean I won’t go out for a beer though

Thx. For me easier to be nice then to bring people down so try to stay upbeat in life. But when I’m home Nat will tell you I definitely need an hour or 2 to decompress :)
I liked when i worked near penn stAtion the lirr train gave me time to decompress. When i worked near you my commute was so short it was painful going home without letting go

I liked when i worked near penn stAtion the lirr train gave me time to decompress. When i worked near you my commute was so short it was painful going home without letting go
I relish my car drive home. My dad taught me real young. In life there are leaders ( by example or by fear ) and followers decide early in life what you are gonna be. That decompress time is crucial to my days

Remember this fellas, the glass is not half empty, nor is it half full. The glass is just to big, so I'm gonna go get a new glass that I can fill. Basically you can control your mood/outlook (obviously barring mental illness)

Back