36 Years Ago Today............Hoosiers

The thing that separates Hoosiers from so many sports movies is its authenticity, notably filming on the court in these tiny gyms.

My favorite scene is when Hackman enters the gym for his first game, says "Welcome to Indiana basketball" and the camera follows him through the layups lines, the cheerleaders, the refs and ultimately to the bench.

Anyone who has ever played competitive basketball in a church basement, armory or auditorium (I grew up playing on a linolium floor at my parish hall!) knows how this movie nailed it.

Last edited:
Here is the actual footage of the final seconds of the 1954 Indiana high school basketball state championship game.

The funny thing is during filming he thought it was going to be a bomb, a career killer, and because of that he acted like a dick on set by most accounts.
Hackman was known for this not just on this movie. It was part of his method. But 36 years ago! Thanks for the reminder to make me feel old again.

Hard to believe that Butler Field House looks the same as it did nearly 70 years ago and bet folks their are not complaining about the "old dump". While I haven't been to Butler Arena, I have been to the Palestra and love the nearly 100 year old "dump".

Hard to believe that Butler Field House looks the same as it did nearly 70 years ago and bet folks their are not complaining about the "old dump". While I haven't been to Butler Arena, I have been to the Palestra and love the nearly 100 year old "dump".

Both are historical landmarks known for their architecture, design, and construction. They were revolutionary at the time they were built. They changed the way people watched basketball.

We got spirit Yes we do We got Spirit How bout you!

Make it a good one Strap.

The Picket Fence. Swing that door right open.

When Ollie makes his second shot. And you will make the second shot.

One of the great "Leadership" movies ever

If you watch it through that lens you will see the movie in a whole different way

The greatest moment of leadership comes at the end when Coach draws up a final play and sees the guys are not happy with it.

"What's the matter with you?!"

And he finally passes the baton onto the team, all his lessons, all is preaching come through. They know what to do. The apprentice becomes the teacher.

Give it to Jimmy and clear the f out!

Back