300million soccerr std in flushing?

the city does not need to build this with citifield being willing to host games. for mls
great idea to build a std for illegals that pay no taxes
its bad enough they get free medicaid & foodstamps

plus they could have built the nfl std 5 yrs ago to lure the Jets home & get the SB in nyc thats was the real need that these crooked politicians screwed up

the city does not need to build this with citifield being willing to host games. for mls

plus they could have built the nfl std 5 yrs ago to lure the Jets home & get the SB in nyc thats was the real need that these crooked politicians screwed up

Extremely ignorant post by you.

I think the stadium is a great idea and a boom for Queens homeowners.

I take it you are not a soccer fan?
The stadium is being built for those fans willing to pay for the price of a ticket. I could care less if they are illegals.
You cannot play soccer in a baseball stadium. It would look as inviting as you in your wife's dress.
The Mets and Citified are only interested in minimizing competition, especially, concession $, more than they are interested in MLS.

How much would putting a roof on CitiField cost?? Why not just do that and use CitiField as a soccer stadium too?

What does a roof on a baseball field have to do with the price of tea in China?
Have you even been to a soccer game?
Baseball fields are built in a "triangular" design. The pitch and fan seating would be atrocious. Much worse than watching American football in a baseball stadium.
It is all about the Mets trying to control the $$ in what they perceive as their "turf" and it has nothing to do with soccer or illegal immigrants. I am sure the Mets do not have an INS section at Citified to check the papers of any Dominicans coming to watch their fellow Dominicans play baseball. And trust me, there are more illegal Dominicans flying in via San Juan as "Puerto Ricans" than you can imagine.

Agree with '72 and others, and think the stadium is a good idea.
NY metro has near 10 million people, more than enough to support two soccer teams.
Plus, soccer is the world's game, and Queens is the most diverse area in the world, something like 138 languages can be heard here. Amazing when you think about it. A soccer team is a natural fit, and could be a unifying force.

Also, Die Hard's is the most ignorant post I've read in a long time. And this happens to be a pet peeve of mine.
"Illegals" pay sales taxes and property taxes -- even if they rent. Furthermore, half of them pay income taxes through an IRS version of a social security number, called an ITIN, and nearly 100% of them would be paying income taxes if we had a reasonable citizenship process.
And lastly, the government actually makes money off of "illegal" immigrants because while they pay sales and property, and some income taxes, they are not entitled to the big benefits like social security, Medicare, or unemployment.
People are not legal or illegal. It's just a question of being "registered" with your government.

NY metro has near 10 million people, more than enough to support two soccer teams.
Plus, soccer is the world's game, and Queens is the most diverse area in the world, something like 138 languages can be heard here. Amazing when you think about it. A soccer team is a natural fit, and could be a unifying force.

Also, Die Hard's is the most ignorant post I've read in a long time. And this happens to be a pet peeve of mine.
"Illegals" pay sales taxes and property taxes -- even if they rent. Furthermore, half of them pay income taxes through an IRS version of a social security number, called an ITIN, and nearly 100% of them would be paying income taxes if we had a reasonable citizenship process.
And lastly, the government actually makes money off of "illegal" immigrants because while they pay sales and property, and some income taxes, they are not entitled to the big benefits like social security, Medicare, or unemployment.
People are not legal or illegal. It's just a question of being "registered" with your government.

The federal govt might be net positive as a result of illegal immigrants but the state and local level they aren't.

Overall I'm for a better immigration system ( heck my fiancee is originally from peru ) but the system is broken and needs to be fixed and there needs to be more accountability.

desco being registered is having Legal documents passport etc -green card to enter the usa
without the proper document your entering the border illegally in every state in usa
your ignorant to how the countrys borders work without them there is no country just lawlessness
thank god your not on border patrol seems your pet peeve will eliminate the borders of the great usa

Extremely ignorant post by you.

I think the stadium is a great idea and a boom for Queens homeowners.[/quote

you think its good why duh
prove it wheres your facts? present your argument otherwise look in the mirror !

where does it say the city is building it ? I thought I read somewhere it was supposed to be privately funded or something like that

If the city is just giving parkland I'm for it.

If the city has to pay for the building I'm against it

Let's just be real...people try to push soccer in America and it just doesn't work. The only time people care about soccer on a true mass scale here is during the world cup, especially if the US is doing well. People also root for the countries in which their ancestors came from i.e. Italy in 06 if the US isn't in it. Other than that, I don't see soccer getting big here. From what I understand, in the Pele days soccer was big with the Cosmos, but these days it really seems like the audience is very selective.

Clap, clap, clap,clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap Cosmos!
Here we come baby!

Clap, clap, clap,clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap Cosmos!
Here we come baby!

C O S M O S...........
However, they are not in the MLS yet.
@Joe3, Soccer (football) is the #1 sport in the world and as long as the USA is part of that world, it will be a part of soccer. It is the most played sport on all levels in America, especially for women. You do not have to be 6'6 like basketball or weight 300 lbs like football and is one of the lowest cost sports to fund in schools and colleges.
Thirty years ago it was the game of immigrants in America....today it is game Americans attend every week coast-to-coast. Within another generation, it will be the 3rd most popular sport in America commercially.

Let's just be real...people try to push soccer in America and it just doesn't work. ....

This is just factually untrue. For the first time in the country's known history, soccer is the 2nd most popular sport among 12-24 year olds. Also, for the first time there were 3 soccer players in the annual poll of most popular athletes in the United States. 30 percent of households in America contain someone that plays or played soccer, with baseball being the only sport with a higher percentage. The Premier League now has an elite network television contract for the first time in the country's history and the current generation of children are the first generation to grow up with the MLS as an everyday reality of their life. Social scientist Richard Luker, who heads the annual sports poll referenced earlier believes soccer is one generation cycle away from being the most popular sport in the United States. Soccer is on a MAJOR rise in this country.

Let's just be real...people try to push soccer in America and it just doesn't work. ....

This is just factually untrue. For the first time in the country's known history, soccer is the 2nd most popular sport among 12-24 year olds. Also, for the first time there were 3 soccer players in the annual poll of most popular athletes in the United States. 30 percent of households in America contain someone that plays or played soccer, with baseball being the only sport with a higher percentage. The Premier League now has an elite network television contract for the first time in the country's history and the current generation of children are the first generation to grow up with the MLS as an everyday reality of their life. Social scientist Richard Luker, who heads the annual sports poll referenced earlier believes soccer is one generation cycle away from being the most popular sport in the United States. Soccer is on a MAJOR rise in this country.

I think this is totally exaggerated. Think about the likely confounds in the numbers. They probably count 6 year olds playing in pee wee leagues who barely have the power to kick a soccer ball as "soccer fans". Show me the numbers that prove Americans watch soccer up there with baseball, football, basketball, or even college basketball for that matter. I also mean other than the world cup or olympics. I mean strictly American soccer. Soccer is too boring for American sports to really make a huge impact IMO. Similar to hockey. It's very common to see teams draw 1-1 or see a 1-0 win. It takes seemingly 15 minutes between shots on goal if not more at times. It's a game of passing for 99.99999% of the time and maybe 1 or 2 minutes of total excitement. I don't hate soccer...I got pumped when Italy won the 06 world cup being half Italian and it was a great game.

The reasons hockey and soccer will never top baseball, football, or basketball in viewership in the US (aside from world cup and olympics) is because the excitement factor isn't there. It's the same problem between Hockey and Soccer. Hockey is 99% skating around clearing the puck while soccer is 99% passing and having passes intercepted with tons of stoppages of play. I don't see this changing anytime soon and I'd love to see if illegal immigrants as well as little kids who play soccer just for the hell of it were counted in those polls.

I think this is totally exaggerated. Think about the likely confounds in the numbers. They probably count 6 year olds playing in pee wee leagues who barely have the power to kick a soccer ball as "soccer fans". Show me the numbers that prove Americans watch soccer up there with baseball, football, basketball, or even college basketball for that matter. I also mean other than the world cup or olympics. I mean strictly American soccer. Soccer is too boring for American sports to really make a huge impact IMO. Similar to hockey. It's very common to see teams draw 1-1 or see a 1-0 win. It takes seemingly 15 minutes between shots on goal if not more at times. It's a game of passing for 99.99999% of the time and maybe 1 or 2 minutes of total excitement. I don't hate soccer...I got pumped when Italy won the 06 world cup being half Italian and it was a great game.

The reasons hockey and soccer will never top baseball, football, or basketball in viewership in the US (aside from world cup and olympics) is because the excitement factor isn't there. It's the same problem between Hockey and Soccer. Hockey is 99% skating around clearing the puck while soccer is 99% passing and having passes intercepted with tons of stoppages of play. I don't see this changing anytime soon and I'd love to see if illegal immigrants as well as little kids who play soccer just for the hell of it were counted in those polls.

Your anal Isis is stupefying and you obviously have taken one toke too many on a Saturday night if you think baseball is more exiting than soccer, a game with no timeouts, constant motion and the world's most conditioned athletes!
My nephew has taken me to a few Mets games this year and the most exiting thing I witnessed was drunken female Mets fans shaking their titties. If you think 4 hours of 7 unathletic guys standing around a field is exiting, there is a cricket match I would love for you to attend....over, and over, and over again.

Your anal Isis is stupefying and you obviously have taken one toke too many on a Saturday night if you think baseball is more exiting than soccer, a game with no timeouts, constant motion and the world's most conditioned athletes!
My nephew has taken me to a few Mets games this year and the most exiting thing I witnessed was drunken female Mets fans shaking their titties. If you think 4 hours of 7 unathletic guys standing around a field is exiting, there is a cricket match I would love for you to attend....over, and over, and over again.

No argument that soccer players are the best conditioned because they are literally running all game. But can you not admit that 95% of the games are just passing back and forth, and clearing kicks? At least in baseball there can be a huge HR at any moment, an amazing defensive play, a clutch hit, a major strikeout, etc. In soccer, it's score or nothing. There are not as many opportunities for excitement. In the rare event there are penalty kicks and shots on goal are the only times of excitement in soccer games. I never said soccer CAN'T be exciting I said it just usually isn't. Jose Reyes digging out a triple with a line drive to the gap is much more exciting than back and forth passing up and down a giant field. Soccer would benefit greatly from increased scoring opportunities and a smaller field IMO as well as getting rid of draws. No one wants to see a game that can end in a tie. Don't act like I'm in some fringe movement with my perspective on soccer...it's the common thought in mainstream America. That's why soccer will never top football, basketball, or baseball.

Back