2024 Jordan Brand Classic

ghostzapper

2023 $upporter
I attended the Jordan Brand Classic at the Barclay's Center today. I watched both the Girls game and then the Boys game. It was pretty entertaining event except for four hours of absurd head banging noise that played during the games.

There were no SJU players in the games but unlike in years past I expect that some of these players will be recycled through the transfer portal in the years ahead so we might see them yet.

After reading about them, it was good to see both Boogie Fland and V.J. Edgecomb play live. Although it was a small sample size, both of these players shot poorly from the outside but do have some other talents. Fland is extremely quick, penetrates well and has a terrific handle. V.J. rebounds really well, is athletic and lets the game come to him.

On a much higher level is Dylan Harper who is the definition of a one and done talent. He has it all. Great size for a guard (6' 6"), high level of athleticism, a deadly outside shot, ability to get to the rim and a flair for the big moment. He was the best player on the floor, scoring 30 points, grabbing 8 rebounds and dishing out 3 assists. He hit the game winner from three and definitely has the ability to take over a game when it counts. He was an obvious and correct choice as the game's MVP. Rutgers has a real stud, who will make an immediate impact on the college game.

Duke has a loaded class and had five players in the game. The best of the five was Cooper Flagg. He was really good and he too will be one and done and a very high lottery pick. He showed off a real all around game and on top of scoring 19 Points and grabbing 10 rebounds, he seems to be a terrific on ball defender, with a great floor game.

Liam McNeeley is a 6' 8" forward who will be going to Indiana. He was the best three point shooter on the court and scored 25 Points and was named the MVP for the losing side. Indiana should be really good next year.

I though 6' 10" center Derik Queen was the best inside player on the court. He scored 20 points and grabbed 8 rebounds. He will be going to Maryland. Isaiah Evans a 6' 6" small forward going to Duke, showed versatility, shooting and quickness. He was very impressive.

The only player set to attend a Big East program was Ahmad Nowell a stocky, quick 6' 0" point guard going to UConn. He reminded me a bit of Khalid El-Amin and if he is anywhere near as productive as El-Amin was for the Huskies, that would really be saying something.

The girls game was also very entertaining and the MVP for the winning side was Joyce Edwards, who scored 25 points and grabbed 7 rebounds. Edwards is going to the undefeated national champion South Carolina Gamecocks, so the rich will be getting richer. Kennedy Smith, a USC signee, scored 21 points and grabbed 7 rebounds. She was named the MVP for the losing side.

I attended the Jordan Brand Classic at the Barclay's Center today. I watched both the Girls game and then the Boys game. It was pretty entertaining event except for four hours of absurd head banging noise that played during the games.

There were no SJU players in the games but unlike in years past I expect that some of these players will be recycled through the transfer portal in the years ahead so we might see them yet.

After reading about them, it was good to see both Boogie Fland and V.J. Edgecomb play live. Although it was a small sample size, both of these players shot poorly from the outside but do have some other talents. Fland is extremely quick, penetrates well and has a terrific handle. V.J. rebounds really well, is athletic and lets the game come to him.

On a much higher level is Dylan Harper who is the definition of a one and done talent. He has it all. Great size for a guard (6' 6"), high level of athleticism, a deadly outside shot, ability to get to the rim and a flair for the big moment. He was the best player on the floor, scoring 30 points, grabbing 8 rebounds and dishing out 3 assists. He hit the game winner from three and definitely has the ability to take over a game when it counts. He was an obvious and correct choice as the game's MVP. Rutgers has a real stud, who will make an immediate impact on the college game.

Duke has a loaded class and had five players in the game. The best of the five was Cooper Flagg. He was really good and he too will be one and done and a very high lottery pick. He showed off a real all around game and on top of scoring 19 Points and grabbing 10 rebounds, he seems to be a terrific on ball defender, with a great floor game.

Liam McNeeley is a 6' 8" forward who will be going to Indiana. He was the best three point shooter on the court and scored 25 Points and was named the MVP for the losing side. Indiana should be really good next year.

I though 6' 10" center Derik Queen was the best inside player on the court. He scored 20 points and grabbed 8 rebounds. He will be going to Maryland. Isaiah Evans a 6' 6" small forward going to Duke, showed versatility, shooting and quickness. He was very impressive.

The only player set to attend a Big East program was Ahmad Nowell a stocky, quick 6' 0" point guard going to UConn. He reminded me a bit of Khalid El-Amin and if he is anywhere near as productive as El-Amin was for the Huskies, that would really be saying something.

The girls game was also very entertaining and the MVP for the winning side was Joyce Edwards, who scored 25 points and grabbed 7 rebounds. Edwards is going to the undefeated national champion South Carolina Gamecocks, so the rich will be getting richer. Kennedy Smith, a USC signee, scored 21 points and grabbed 7 rebounds. She was named the MVP for the losing side.
By the way, if anyone is interested in watching the two games. I posted the you tube links here:

Thanks for the in depth report. In another thread I posted about Harper after this years McDonald’s All American game and how impressed I was with his performance. He is the real deal.

Sounds like Rutgers should have secretly funneled some of its tens of millions in Big Ten payouts to an NIL collective to keep Cliff if their guard play is going to be this good.

Sounds like Rutgers should have secretly funneled some of its tens of millions in Big Ten payouts to an NIL collective to keep Cliff if their guard play is going to be this good.
They also have another top 5 recruit in Ace Bailey, a 6’ 9” forward who also was impressive at the McDonald’s All-American game.

Rutgers also recruited a 6'9 big man from Peoria, Ill, Lathan Sommerville. He is way more advanced offensively that Cliff. It may take a little while but I believe that he is definitely an upgrade.

Back