Transfer Portal Mania

Still trying to think of reasons why starting caliber players wouldn’t do this.

Realize my outlook is probably way off in todays environment but if someone on my team at work is looking at other companies then as far as I’m concerned they are out.

So applying my logic once one of my kids enters the portal I’m looking to replace them

Last edited:
Realize my outlook is probably way off in todays environment but if someone on my team at work is looking at other companies then as far as I’m concerned they are out.

So applying my logic once one of my kids enters he portal I’m looking to replace them
I think in principle this is the right idea. But do you think gtech isn’t taking a player like that back?

I think in principle this is the right idea. But do you think gtech isn’t taking a player like that back?
It depends. Once he announces portal I’m looking that day for a replacement so what if they can get a replacement before the original kid decides anything ? Near comparable replacement I’d absolutely take before the other kid knew what was happening

Georgia tech may get his replacement and not have the money they had to take him back. Definitely a risk for a player to jump in
If gtech is the only place he’s willing to play, then I’d agree and then you wouldn’t do it. But you don’t think someone’s gonna want him?

If gtech is the only place he’s willing to play, then I’d agree and then you wouldn’t do it. But you don’t think someone’s gonna want him?
I mean sure, but maybe he has a close relationship with the staff & they've helped him develop.

If the money is close enough for these guys, I don't think it makes sense to throw yourself in the portal and risk losing a comfortable environment/situation just to make an extra 50-100k.

I mean sure, but maybe he has a close relationship with the staff & they've helped him develop.

If the money is close enough for these guys, I don't think it makes sense to throw yourself in the portal and risk losing a comfortable environment/situation just to make an extra 50-100k.
Yeah I agree and wish that was the case and more kids felt that way. But how do you find out if the money is close enough until you check it out? And as it stands now I don’t think these kids have much risk to find out

Yeah I agree and wish that was the case and more kids felt that way. But how do you find out if the money is close enough until you check it out? And as it stands now I don’t think these kids have much risk to find out
Your agent should be talking to every school's GM before entering the portal. So you should have a solid lay of the land + know what you're going to be offered when you're out. My only point is, they don't automatically get to go back to the school if it doesn't work out. They can be SOL in that regard.

So applying my logic once one of my kids enters the portal I’m looking to replace them
Unfortunately, loyalty gets you nowhere today. Companies preach it but will often max out raises at 5%. The fastest way to increase your salary is to be very good at your job, and jump to another company every 2-3 years. And that is coming from someone that owned their own business for a long time.

What makes this insane is the way high major established programs are losing key players and just replacing them with key players from other high majors. It is basically musical chairs.

Arizona loses Ballo to Indiana, they gain Tobe Awaka from Tennessee. Tennessee loses Aidoo and Awaka and gains Okpara from Ohio St who lost Okpara but gained Bradshaw from UK.

1714403718538.png

Back