Women Beat Providence

redmannorth

Staff member
2023 $upporter Moderator
Ladies with a nice victory over Providence which beat them earlier in the season, 65-47. 
Unique Drake with a great shooting game , 8-11, and a bunch of threes for 17 points which I believe is her career high for the sophomore point guard. Leilani with 15 and 2 other players were in double figures. 
They just have to take it game by game and do their best during this very tough season. Unfortunately Joey has a terribly weak bench, just terrible. 

Last edited:
This was Coach T's 169th win as the head coach at St John's. He now has the 2nd most wins in St John's women's basketball history. Congratulations Coach on this milestone. Looking forward to the day when you will be the winningest coach in St John's history.

redmannorth" post=421322 said:
Ladies with a nice victory over Providence which beat them earlier in the season, 65-47. 
Unique Drake with a great shooting game , 8-11, and a bunch of threes for 17 points which I believe is her career high for the sophomore point guard. Leilani with 15 and 2 other players were in double figures. 
They just have to take it game by game and do their best during this very tough season. Unfortunately Joey has a terribly weak bench, just terrible. 

just cannot recruit well???

Sherman said:
redmannorth" post=421322 said:

just cannot recruit well???

Two major reasons for the tough season

1. Our best player and team leader (Hoppie) has been out for most of the season. It appears that she will be back net year

2. Our starting point guard and one of our best players (England) decided to transfer leaving us without an experienced PG. An inexperienced sophomore, Unique Drake, filled in and has improved a great deal during the season but she was not prepared to take over when she did

Because of a lack of depth, Unique played all 40 minutes today and  two other players (Correa and Bailey) played 39 minutes each

Last edited:
Aren't the women's teams allowed 15 scholarships? Shouldn't have to basically play an iron 5 40 minutes per game.

Just looked at boxscore to see player minutes but what also caught my eye was turnovers.

We turned it over 19 times, and Prov only 2.

bamafan" post=421354 said:
Aren't the women's teams allowed 15 scholarships? Shouldn't have to basically play an iron 5 40 minutes per game.

Women's team are allotted 13 scholarships, same as the men
As North previously mentioned, our bench strength is poor
Ergo, the need for one player to play 40 and two others 39 each
Hopefully, the situation will improve next season

Last edited:
MarkRedman" post=421358 said:

Looked it up-women get 15, believe it has to do with Title 9 and evening up total scholarships overall in mens and womans programs.

bamafan" post=421378 said:
MarkRedman" post=421358 said:

Looked it up-women get 15, believe it has to do with Title 9 and evening up total scholarships overall in mens and womans programs.

I'm surprised - I really thought they were equal
I don't think we ever had 15 schollie ladies at St John's
In fact, in most years, I believe fewer than 13

Last edited:
Back