Winter Meetings

buckethead

What are opinions on the Soto saga? Are the Yankees again blowing smoke up everyone's arse about the talent of their minor league system and teetering on the verge of missing out again on what they really need? Are the recruits really this good? King and Schmidt are a known quantity/quality, but Thorpe has not really made a debut yet to know if he will thrive in the majors. Pereira is still the #3 prospect but he showed little in his majors stint last year.

I feel like they could have used Devei as trade bait before he faltered and in addition to Pereira, Peraza, Volpe and Wells are all over-hyped in my humble opinion. None of the three seems to be a big league hitter.
Volpe, I like the power, but has one of the highest strikeout rates in the majors and lowest OBP in the majors. Hopefully he can gain some patience at the plate.

Anyway, I am trying to make heads or tails of these rumors that they are balking at packages San Diego is offering.
The one I saw with King, Thorpe, Peraza, Pereira, and a few other minor leaguers did seem ridiculous.

For years the Mets have alway overrated their minor leaguers and shied away from making deals, while the Yanks alway overestimate their farmers.

The issue is Soto is a 1 year rental. Can't give up the farm (pun intended) without an extension in place.
Trading for Soto now makes no sense. You could have had him for two playoff runs for the same price as what is being rumored.

He’s a weird player too. He’s one of the worst defensive players in the league, he doesn’t hit for great power or average, he already can’t run at 25…but that OBP is just absurd year after year.

I think Soto is the best bat on the market. Better than Ohtani. He would absolutely make the Yankees a contender. People look for negatives, base running, fielding, etc, but his WAR will far outpace his negatives.

If the Yankees could get him on a long term contract you could already reserve space to put his number up on the wall.

Trading for Soto now makes no sense. You could have had him for two playoff runs for the same price as what is being rumored.

He’s a weird player too. He’s one of the worst defensive players in the league, he doesn’t hit for great power or average, he already can’t run at 25…but that OBP is just absurd year after year.
Don;t get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the Yankees lineup, but at the right price. His 162 game career averages are really good: BA: .284, OBP: .421, HR: 33, RBI: 100, H: 160, BB: 133, SO: 120. Put him as a left handed hitter in Yankee stadium and I think he is a monster

I think Soto is the best bat on the market. Better than Ohtani. He would absolutely make the Yankees a contender. People look for negatives, base running, fielding, etc, but his WAR will far outpace his negatives.

If the Yankees could get him on a long term contract you could already reserve space to put his number up on the wall.
He hit .242 in 2021 and .275 last year. It’s odd that he would drop so much from earlier in his career at only his age 24 season. His power hasn’t been great…doesn’t hit a lot of doubles or a ton of homers except for last year when he went for 32 and 35, respectively.

But then there are the metrics. The OBP and the WAR are nuts. He’s also somehow only just turned 25!

The conventional wisdom in baseball has always been you don’t grow into your full power until 27-28. So there is a good chance that he’s a 40 homer guy for the next 8-10 years.

As a Mets fan, my hesitation would be trading huge pieces for a guy who wants 400 million next year. The Yankees, with the short porch in right, would almost definitely be able to get more out of him.

Back