Why We Didn't Make It & How To Rebound

FriendofJohnnie

There are many considerations here- please do share. I will start...

1. This all started with the very short timeframe Coach Rick had to get a team together with losing a couple good players (Storr and Jones) and cutting bait with the dead weight.
2. With what time was left we got some of our current younger core moving forward (Zuby, RJ, Simeon, Brady) and other than Joel filled the rest with transfers - most of which were mid-major talent that reached peak development. As to what we saw this season, outside of Jenkins and Ledlum the others just did not adapt as good as we thought.

3. Mid-Season Joel hits a bad wall and gets completely overwhelmed during some tough games.
4. Dingle is out during some big games due to illness as is Rick (i.e. Seton Hall)

5. February cost us- I would say wins were there for the taking with at a minimum Marquette @ MSG and Seton Hall @ UBS. No excuse for those losses. @ Providence is not necessarily a "bad loss" with it being historically hard to play there.
6. No-show against a bad Michigan team and a loss to BC were also inexcusable.
7. I am willing to concede both UConn losses, @ SHU and @ Providence and @ Butler.
8. With all that being said- this team should have had 24 wins easily and never a doubt to the flawed committee.
9. While I somewhat sympathize with the committee for our bad record against ranked teams no doubt we had tougher schedule than some of these other schools that were let in from the A-10 and Mountain West etc. which its weird they did not see through also the late win streak and Pitino factor.
10. Next year we will be back and better- give Rick time to get better recruits with this portal and H.S.

Back