Who's on the Radar?

This is pure speculation on my part, but I'm pretty sure Kyle's the only guy we are recruiting for PG, and I'm sure it's been made clear to him that there is no one else and that he's the only guy the staff wants. Pretty ballsy strategy, actually.

If we fail to land him, I think second option is to hope Lindsey plays really well but comes back anyway. Third option is probably West Coast sleeper who signs in spring.

Kyle is coming here, but is anybody really worried with Lavin not knowing what to do with an open ship in the fall?

It sounds like Kyle is coming here. If for some reason he doesn't and Nuri heads to the big leagues, I have total faith in D'eangelo and Greene to hold it down. We have no point guards on our radar until the 2013 class other than Jevon Thomas who it sounds like we have moved on from.

It sounds like Kyle is coming here. If for some reason he doesn't and Nuri heads to the big leagues, I have total faith in D'eangelo and Greene to hold it down. We have no point guards on our radar until the 2013 class other than Jevon Thomas who it sounds like we have moved on from.

To me, the fact that Lavin & Company are the only one of the "final five" that seem willing to honor Kyle's wish to be PG is an indicator that they feel what they ALREADY have can man that spot if Kyle doens't work out at the one (ie, has to play a point forward role instead). In other words, I think Phil Greene may be Steve's 2012 Earl Watson...

To me, the fact that Lavin & Company are the only one of the "final five" that seem willing to honor Kyle's wish to be PG is an indicator that they feel what they ALREADY have can man that spot if Kyle doens't work out at the one (ie, has to play a point forward role instead). In other words, I think Phil Greene may be Steve's 2012 Earl Watson...

And the award for First UCLA Reference Since The Site Re-Launched goes to ...

And the award for First UCLA Reference Since The Site Re-Launched goes to ...

Earl Watson himself.

Aren't you guy worried about Donovan's top recruiter, Norm Roberts. landing Anderson? 

I just figure Anderson is stringing Norm along like every other top recruit in the past 5 years. I am worried about Donovan. Not a lot has been said about UF in the Anderson sweepstakes. I have stated concern they get the final visit.

I know this isn't a popular choice, but I would personally want Joell James to be our next target after Anderson (regardless of we get him or not) over Obepka and Amile Jefferson

I know this isn't a popular choice, but I would personally want Joell James to be our next target after Anderson (regardless of we get him or not) over Obepka and Amile Jefferson

Why, your post is very reasoned.
You are certainly not alone in thinking we require height and bulk up front regardless of Gather's commitment.
Obepka adds size, though not a true post and a good shot blocking ability while Amile is an excellent forward but many posters would say we brought in 5 very good forwards in the 2011 class.
While I would be thrilled getting either Obepka or Amile I too would be happiest getting a commitment from Joell James.

Any of the three would be gravy on top of ka. I trust the staff to use their ships wisely

I don't think Joell James is a realistic option for us. He has been waiting for a year for a UNC offer which hasn't come and has been bitching and moaning about it. I like him quite a bit as a player, but didn't realize until recently how hard-up he was for UNC to come after him. The best choices are the talented kids that really want to be here. He fits the bill talent and size-wise, but I don't think he'll be adoption.

Aren't you guy worried about Donovan's top recruiter, Norm Roberts. landing Anderson? 

I just figure Anderson is stringing Norm along like every other top recruit in the past 5 years. I am worried about Donovan. Not a lot has been said about UF in the Anderson sweepstakes. I have stated concern they get the final visit.

I have a little bit concern about that as well, but I also think it's a coincidence. Anderson stated a while back that he wanted to commit on his birthday--and Billy/Norm probably talked him into coming down there for that big game against Tennessee which just happened to be like 3 days prior.

Not that Billy Donovan can ever be counted out, but I get the same feeling about Norm Roberts that you do. He's a nice guy yada yada and Kyle's family probably really likes him so he probably helped Florida stick around this long and even get that "last visit". He definitely has his advantages on the recruiting front as an assistant, but could just never close the deal as a head coach. Florida scares me a little bit, but I tend to think they're in our rearview mirror.

The truth is that since the beginning, Kyle said he'd visit all schools before his commit date, and he's doing that. Nothing out of the ordinary. I think we just offer too many advantages for Kyle to turn down at this point.

Back