USA vs. Mexico

Moose

As I started this thread US scores to tie it.

Any initial thoughts for the first game of the Jurgen Klinsmann era?

Defense sure looked a lot better than 2 weeks ago.
His 2nd half subs were vital.
When Dempsey, Altidore and Holden come back we'll have a better perspective.
Omission of Adu puzzling.  

The only thing that mattered was the USA didn't lose to Mexico again. Other than that, it was a very uneventful match. And that is what you would expect from a game like this.

It's obvious Mexico has a larger and better pool of players now. Calling them one of the top 10 team sin the owrld (like Klinsmann did in his presser) is a stretch, and is no doubt, some gamesmanship by the skipper.

But since Klinsmann is only signed through the next WC cycle, you would have to think he has his eye on Gulati's job. Yes I know Gulati hired him, but it was one WC too late. Gulati didn't want to relinquish power, and the structure of how the USSF does things. Kilnsmann wants to change US soccer at the grass roots level.

He wants to scout the inner cities, and backroads of America. He no longer wants to have only a pool of suburban kids to choose from, who feel a spot on the national team is their right . Klinsmann on the other hand, wants every player who wears the national team jersey to earn it.

Big difference. He wants kids who not only play in all-star select games because their partents can afford to send them to these camps, but those kids who play in the parks and work on individual skill. Gone are the days of only big, physical athlete can apply. That is what the USSF was so against during the prior failed negotioations with Klinsmann. They gave in now, because they may have (Good God Almighty) finally come to grasp that.

He changed Germany's youth system. They too went with the big, physical athlete, over the more technical ones for a long time. And now, they are producing many players with high skill level.

Klinsmann is by no means a coaching genius, but he is a first class talent evaluator. Under Klinsmann, US soccer will never be the same. And thank heavens for that.

The only thing that mattered was the USA didn't lose to Mexico again. Other than that, it was a very uneventful match. And that is what you would expect from a game like this.

It's obvious Mexico has a larger and better pool of players now. Calling them one of the top 10 team sin the owrld (like Klinsmann did in his presser) is a stretch, and is no doubt, some gamesmanship by the skipper.

But since Klinsmann is only signed through the next WC cycle, you would have to think he has his eye on Gulati's job. Yes I know Gulati hired him, but it was one WC too late. Gulati didn't want to relinquish power, and the structure of how the USSF does things. Kilnsmann wants to change US soccer at the grass roots level.

He wants to scout the inner cities, and backroads of America. He no longer wants to have only a pool of suburban kids to choose from, who feel a spot on the national team is their right . Klinsmann on the other hand, wants every player who wears the national team jersey to earn it.

Big difference. He wants kids who not only play in all-star select games because their partents can afford to send them to these camps, but those kids who play in the parks and work on individual skill. Gone are the days of only big, physical athlete can apply. That is what the USSF was so against during the prior failed negotioations with Klinsmann. They gave in now, because they may have (Good God Almighty) finally come to grasp that.

He changed Germany's youth system. They too went with the big, physical athlete, over the more technical ones for a long time. And now, they are producing many players with high skill level.

Klinsmann is by no means a coaching genius, but he is a first class talent evaluator. Under Klinsmann, US soccer will never be the same. And thank heavens for that.

Any chance he can help out with the Islanders while he's here? :whistle:

Any chance he can help out with the Islanders while he's here? :whistle:

With any luck the Isles move to Queens. I can't see the league allowing them to leave the area. They are doing everything possible for the Coyotes afterall. Not to mention the Panthers.

So as not to turn this into something other than a soccer thread, I will break the "Other Sports" maiden with a hockey thread.

Just hope he (Klinsmann) doesn't screw up the U.S. NT as bad as he did to my hometown team FC Bayern a couple years ago. 

dag...I miss the futbol talk on the fringes of this site. :)

I like Klinsmann a lot. I'm not so heavy mental about it where I think I can criticize elements of past coaching career and whatnot, but I do know that he understands what it takes to get this program to a new level. It really is about the sublety now, where culturally, we have playes who get this game at a deeper level, with more creativity and pure reflex. This happens at the younger levels...and apparently he's all about working with Claudio Reyna and the youth program. Kransmar seems to have thrown down some good views on new coach, read his post as well.

As for the game against Mexico...interesting that the three FMF players he started actually had pretty bad games.

I find it very interesting that Agudelo, who is still incredibly raw, ignites an offense (even if T. Henry acts like he has the plague sometimes).

He did it for Red Bulls against Arsenal, was one of the few players to challenge ManU in the MLS all-star game, and then, his entry in the game against Mexico, coupled with Rogers and Brek Shea...things opened up (I don't care if Mexico replaced defenders--they're a quality squad right now). Fun to watch the US team attack...I don't see why this can't become more a part of the "essence" of American soccer. (by the way, Altidore has three goals, two in his only started game, in Dutch league) And Brek Shea seems capable of becoming something in the mold of a Brian McBride or someone in that fold?

More than anything, Klinsmann seems like he'll create a better atmosphere for success.  In some ways, he seems a li'l Lavinesque...believes in having fun, and looks to be rather philsophical about it all. Should be a fun ride moving forward.

Back