UEFA Championships

BrooklynRed

2023 $upporter
This, in my opinion, is better than the World Cup as the level of play is higher given the teams involved.  Yesterday's match of France/Germany was an excellent one and the French look like a team to beat but in the group is Portugal with Ronaldo and also played yesterday.  It will be going on until July 11th with the group matches going until until 6/23 and the knockout rounds starting the following Saturday.

I believe you are referring to the UEFA European Cup 2020, no?  ;)

Luckily, just like in 2016, the US Open is being played on the West Coast which allows flipping between the Group A final matches before the leaders tee off at Torrey Pines.  Hooray for the privileges of Father's Day.

austour post=435071 said:
I believe you are referring to the UEFA European Cup 2020, no?  ;)

Luckily, just like in 2016, the US Open is being played on the West Coast which allows flipping between the Group A final matches before the leaders tee off at Torrey Pines.  Hooray for the privileges of Father's Day.
Just to clarify, the official name is 2020 UEFA European Football Championship. 

There will be jigs in the Highlands tomorrow if bonnie Scotland can beat the Sassanach.

That goal by Schick the other day - incredible.

Italy playing well. Germany not looking great... next game vs. Portugal is huge.

Christian Eriksen's collapse was sickening, wishing him a full recovery.

TX Redman post=435155 said:
There will be jigs in the Highlands tomorrow if bonnie Scotland can beat the Sassanach.

Italy playing well. Germany not looking great... next game vs. Portugal is huge.

Red Jamie fan?

TX Redman post=435155 said:

England/Scotland should go English way with game at Wembly and Kane, Sterling, Rashford up front.  Gonna be an interesting w/e set of games.  Germany/Portugal gonna be interesting--Ronaldo tough to stop (and Coca Cola stock price killer) & Germany will be desparate.  If you haven't seen France yet worth watching (Paul Pogba quite a leader for France), possibly team to beat (what a tough group with portugal/Germany and France).  Italy plays on Sunday and they are the hottest team around.  Coach Mancini has turned them around since taking over after Italy's failure to qualify for 2018 World Cup.  They play an interesting game in focusing on "fast break" attacks. 

We have a work pool (for charity) going. I drew the Dutch so not horrible. Tonight should be fun, but crappy weather is expected here in London for the game.

gman post=435166 said:
We have a work pool (for charity) going. I drew the Dutch so not horrible. Tonight should be fun, but crappy weather is expected here in London for the game.
Your Dutch pool entry did not look so bad today; partly an overmatched NM but still they should get to quarters.  Afternoon matches showed a strong Belgium squad getting some help from injured players, DeBruyne and Hazard, and the Denmark game was a real feel good story.  

the past weekend had some surprises as the Germans came back and look strong (as usual) and Spain looking dreadful.  Italy is looking good, Macini has turned them around.

The English went "backwards".  They were horrid angainst the Scotties and Harry Kane was MIA.  Maybe "Gman" can give a brief report on the British press response--they must has been quite blistering.

Looking forward to Wednesday's match of France/Portugal. 

Last edited:
A lot of people are getting excited by Italy's performance, but their group was probably the weakest, so let's see how they hold up in the knockout stage when they face some of the big boys.

Going in I didn't give Germany much of a chance, but now with a win against Hungary and a Portugal win or draw, they could be group winners.

I'm still going with Belgium, although they did not exactly set the world on fire against Finland, but I like their balance and Lukaku is on form.  Anybody but France./media/kunena/emoticons/tongue.png

Group play over and now on to knock out stage Saturday through Tuesday.  Belgium/Portugal on Sunday and England/Germany on Tuesday should be among the most competitive of the round of 16.  Going forward the Dutch are in the easiest braket to get to the finals.

mjmaherjr post=435365 said:
Copa

Copa coffee or copa vino?  You know peru are going to disappoint you and Nathalie again.  I'm picking the over/under for bloodied players at 3.

Section9 post=435374 said:
Copa

Copa coffee or copa vino?  You know peru are going to disappoint you and Nathalie again.  I'm picking the over/under for bloodied players at 3.

Haaa yeah already mentally prepared for it. Was happy to get a tie last night after that crappy first half. There are 2 new Peruvian Restaurants in Huntington on East Jericho Tpke and we've been going to one of them to watch the Peru games and it's a lot of fun there and staff and owners super nice and the food is legit true peruvian food and the pisco sours are real good. Everyone there yesterday was waiting for something bad to happen. lol

Better beat Venezuela sunday

BrooklynRed post=435282 said:
gman post=435166 said:
Your Dutch pool entry did not look so bad today; partly an overmatched NM but still they should get to quarters.  Afternoon matches showed a strong Belgium squad getting some help from injured players, DeBruyne and Hazard, and the Denmark game was a real feel good story.  

the past weekend had some surprises as the Germans came back and look strong (as usual) and Spain looking dreadful.  Italy is looking good, Macini has turned them around.

The English went "backwards".  They were horrid angainst the Scotties and Harry Kane was MIA.  Maybe "Gman" can give a brief report on the British press response--they must has been quite blistering.

It was viewed as a Scotland win here. People aren’t fans of the coach. He plays not to lose. They looked much better in their last game. 

The BBC coverage team think most of the favourites have been holding back a bit and will start pushing more in the knockout rounds.

gman post=435397 said:
BrooklynRed post=435282 said:
gman post=435166 said:

It was viewed as a Scotland win here. People aren’t fans of the coach. He plays not to lose. They looked much better in their last game. 

The BBC coverage team think most of the favourites have been holding back a bit and will start pushing more in the knockout rounds.

You've been in England too long; "favourites"? /media/kunena/emoticons/wink.png  

As far as i'm concerned, the matchup with Germany comes down to which team is more inept.  When it comes to coaches, Low is no prize either.

BrooklynRed post=435421 said:
Ahhhh, nothin; like a good Cuppa Tay!  Slainte (to your health)!

I have no interest in tea and agree with Ted Lasso on it

“You know I always figured that tea was gonna taste like hot, brown water. And you know what? I was right. It was horrible."

Back