The Great Mike Gorman

fordham96

Born in Dorchester, went into the Navy and spent 43 years calling games for his childhood team the Boston Celtics. Full disclosure the Cs are my favorite team as well.

But what I and others remember about Gorman was he along with Bill Raftery were the voices of the Big East in the 80's and early 90's on the Big East Network and ESPN (Big Monday games were always Mike and Raf).

Mike Gorman decided to call it a career this year and going forward the NBA Playoffs will exclusively be on Network TV so local telecasts are no longer available. So when Boston eliminated Miami tonight this marked the end of a remarkable career for Gorman.

I liked him a lot. When and why did he stop doing Big East games?
The last SJU game he called was Jan.18, 2000 vs Seton Hall. I will assume 1999-00 was his last season calling Big East games. Can’t answer the why, maybe wanted to focus more on calling more Celtic games?

The last SJU game he called was Jan.18, 2000 vs Seton Hall. I will assume 1999-00 was his last season calling Big East games. Can’t answer the why, maybe wanted to focus more on calling more Celtic games?
He even called a few BE games on CBS back in the 90's.

He was on a call in 1994 CBS game vs Syracuse if I recall. Him and Raftery did it.

He even called a few BE games on CBS back in the 90's.

He was on a call in 1994 CBS game vs Syracuse if I recall. Him and Raftery did it.
I recall being pissed they joined the game in progress late first half because of the Olympics.
Atleast it wasn’t Nascar.

Ran into Raf he walked into a restaurant with a bunch of suits the old Angelo's & Maxie's, Park Ave. South, before a big game. He came by our table and chatted us up about the Johnnies and his beloved Luigi. He even said, I'd rather be eating at your table, pointing to the suits.

Back