Sweetwater

Gabelmc

2023 $upporter
Just saw the movie about Nat “Sweetwater” Clifton, the first black player on the Knicks.. it’s not a great movie, but worth seeing because it showcases the integrity of our former coach, Joe Lapchick. Hard to imagine the all-white NBA that existed before 1950. Lapchick was the Knick’s coach and fought hard to break the pro basketball color barrier.

Just saw the movie about Nat “Sweetwater” Clifton, the first black player on the Knicks.. it’s not a great movie, but worth seeing because it showcases the integrity of our former coach, Joe Lapchick. Hard to imagine the all-white NBA that existed before 1950. Lapchick was the Knick’s coach and fought hard break the pro basketball color barrier.
I thought you were referencing the movie "Roll Bounce." 😁

I mean, there's artistic license and then there's "I'm not even going to shave for the sake of this character."

5_16.Sweetwater_TR.0625_R.jpg

Last edited:
This parallels the casting in the HBO series “Winning Time” about the Magic and Kareem Lakers.
Huh - I actually thought the casting in Winning Time was pretty good, with the significant exceptions of Jason Segal as Westhead and Adrien Brody as Riley. Who else didn't you like?

Huh - I actually thought the casting in Winning Time was pretty good, with the significant exceptions of Jason Segal as Westhead and Adrien Brody as Riley. Who else didn't you like?
Maybe I should have clarified. Aside from those obvious two, Jason Segel as Paul Westhead and Hadley Robinson as Jeannie Buss was not great either.

I guess I had more of a problem with the cartoonish way they were portrayed.

The portrayal of Westhead as a buffoon who was afraid of his own shadow seemed particularly unfair to me, and the portrayal of Jerry West as a angry maniac was ridiculous - although that improved later in the season.

The portrayal of Westhead as a buffoon who was afraid of his own shadow seemed particularly unfair to me, and the portrayal of Jerry West as a angry maniac was ridiculous - although that improved later in the season.
I think West tried to sue because the show made him look like a maniac.

Back