Super League

Moose

Need to see all the details but on the surface I'm not really a big fan of the Super League idea.  (Hold all Arsenal jokes about being in the Super League)

But in all honesty I can easily see myself supporting them less in a Super League.

Seems like so far Bayern and PSG haven't committed yet.

Thoughts?

My recollection is Bayern is totally opposed to the "super" League.

I am personally not in favor as it would likely give even more power to the oil sheik and other rich clubs, to the detriment of the other other. I think it kills the spirit of football. 

[URL]https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2021/4/18/22390511/breaking-european-super-league-to-be-formed-today-uefa-france-rmc-sport[/URL]]Update: UEFA Issues statement decrying planned European Super League - Bavarian Football Works[/url]

Last edited:
I'll put my bias up front: long-time West Ham supporter. Predictably, I'm not excited about the notion of one more exclusive competition that can only damage the EPL, Champions League, Europa.

But it's the nature of business: the big and rich need to keeping inventing ways to get bigger and richer. Can't be angry at them for trying.

That said, I hope it goes nowhere. I don't believe it will improve the game for the long term.

Moose post=432282 said:
Need to see all the details but on the surface I'm not really a big fan of the Super League idea.  (Hold all Arsenal jokes about being in the Super League)

But in all honesty I can easily see myself supporting them less in a Super League.

Seems like so far Bayern and PSG haven't committed yet.

Thoughts?

I read something today that in general the German and French leagues/teams are not supporting the idea yet.  I wonder how many guys are willing to give up World Cup, European Cup, anything else UEFA and FIFA aligned for this.  I know the owners are going to make out like bandits with less teams/organizations to share with, but how big are the pay increases going to be for the players?

Greed. Simple as that. 

As a guy who just took his out of shape ass and ran 90 in my men’s league, this is insane. And claiming my club should have a part in this shows you it’s all about money. 

You know it’s bad idea when Arsenal and Spurs fans are united in their hate of this. 

feedback is overwhelming negative 

It is huge news over here.  It was the lead story on the news this morning.  I look forward to seeing what my colleagues say when I talk to them later today.  Tottenham, Chelsea and Arsenal and all London based so I have a ton of colleagues that support those squads.   

Maybe Klopp to Munich isn’t that far fetched after all. He’s come out pretty strong against this Super League, said he was blindsided by it. Rumors are floating around that Mourinho might have been sacked because he disapproved also. It’s kinda cold to sack him right before a Cup final so there might be some truth to that but I think he’s getting the boot on results alone. 

If you have 6 minutes to spare, watch James Corden’s rant about this league on YouTube or twitter. I’m not a fan of his at all but he’s pretty spot on. I do think footie has been corrupted for a lot longer than he romantizes about the sport but I really don’t disagree with him at all. 

Sky News understands Chelsea are preparing documents to formally withdraw from the super league

gman post=432550 said:
Sky News understands Chelsea are preparing documents to formally withdraw from the super league

Reportedly City is getting out as well.  Seems like it could lead to a total collapse.

Glad to see this ill-conceived money grab running into problems. That said, I have no desire to gloat. I'm just too damn happy that the traditional structure and rivalries may stay intact! 

Last edited:
All of the English teams have officially pulled out. Levy’s statement was as weak as you know what and I’m embarrassed to support a team run by a guy like him. 

It was never about furthering the sport, or fortifying the club or the players, or making things better for the supporters, this was all about Daniel Levy trying to make Daniel Levy and the rest of ENIC money. At least Arsenal honed up to their mistake and apologized. Levy’s a worm through and through. 

It's over, baby.  Barca, in a blatant attempt to cover their as$e$ said they were leaving because their fans demanded it and they are all about their fans.  Don't these people realize how bad they look when they make statements like that?  I guess they are just money driven.

Props to Arsenal, who said they made a mistake and apologized to their fans.  Class there.

Woodward resigning
Angelli resigning 

Wonder who else gets the axe after this.

Even rumblings FSG might be looking to sell Liverpool.  I know Arsenal fans are dying for Kroenke to sell.

Last edited:
Crazy, but if the teams were going to get a $400 million euros to join,  I could see a club like Barcelona, that is in serious debt, want to jump at this.

As a fan of Napoli is Serie A, giving a big f-u to Juve, Inter, and Milan would have been nice. I mean, I do it anyway for no reason. Here I have one.

Well that took quite a turn rather quickly.  And here I was hoping to hear some more enlightened musing on the subject from Kornheiser and Wilbon.  I swear they tried to talk about it yesterday and it was like watching the chimps try to type out Macbeth.  It was painful at best and disgusting at worst.  Those guys, especially Wilbon, have devolved to become an embarrassment to crotchety old men everywhere.

Reports that the five English sides are facing probable sanctions from the league.

Also, another report that some of the teams involved may not be quite done with the concept stating that the execution and timing were bad but the idea is sound.  Since Real were apparently at the point on this gotta think that it's their comments.  

Back