Staten Island Campus closing

Double J

Current families got an email today, I assume a wider announcement will be coming shortly, but the Staten Island Campus will be closing after the 2024 school year. Current students will be offered spots at the Queens campus, with their current tuition rate being honored. Union faculty members will also be offered new positions in Queens

Had a feeling this would eventually happen. Outside of duplicated operational expense, I wonder what campus property value is worth.

Sucks for existing students and SI alums won't be happy but seems like right decision. Comments on the instagram post not favorable though...understandable to those impacted

While we are alums of the Staten Island campus, I cannot disagree with the decision when I see the enrollment numbers. The higher ed options have changed as College of Staten Island has significantly grown with a CUNY level of tuition. In addition Wagner is within a mile on the same road.

Also with all sports at the Queens campus, there is a disconnect with the University and a lack of interest in following the teams.

The campus is quite nice and should have some value as it is atop Grymes Hill.

I've been told that they can't sell the campus because they never bought it. It was given to SJU, to use as a school, by the Archdiocese. When it closes in two years, it reverts back to the archdiocese.
The University website says the University owns the 16.5 acres of property. Also the University has made major improvements to existing buildings and added a significant number of buildings over the years. The SI campus came from a merger with Notre Dame College which was not a diocesean school but a private Catholic school like SJU. ND acquired the property as a gift from folks who lived on Grymes Hill. The original mansion that was on the property is the admin building and is quite beautiful. Ergo, don't write off the potential to sell the property unless there is something in the gift document.

The Hasidics will be all over this...as a Rockland County resident...I can tell you property that is already zoned educational...they will be all over it. Pace sold Briarcliffe to them.

The University website says the University owns the 16.5 acres of property. Also the University has made major improvements to existing buildings and added a significant number of buildings over the years. The SI campus came from a merger with Notre Dame College which was not a diocesean school but a private Catholic school like SJU. ND acquired the property as a gift from folks who lived on Grymes Hill. The original mansion that was on the property is the admin building and is quite beautiful. Ergo, don't write off the potential to sell the property unless there is something in the gift document.
I asked a St. John's friend, who has been involved with board and admin people for years, about selling the campus, and he responded that they couldn't sell it. I hope he has it wrong because I know STJ invested quite a bit there. If STJ owns the property, then it just involves finding a buyer.

Last edited:
Wagner College looking to purchase the property, possibly placing graduate programs there, they are a 1/2 mile down the hill.It’s very disappointing
SJU could not contain the enrollment at the Staten Island campus over the years.Tuition definitely the major issue.
I remember years ago the red/white preseason scrimmage was played on the si campus.

Rent it out for weddings, conferences, etc., and make that the NIL money.

Rent, or proceeds from the sale from the Staten Island campus could not be used by St. John’s to fund NIL.

NIL funds must come from a third party source.

The recipient athlete must perform some activity in return for the funds (assist in advertising, participate in youth program, etc.) which return activity is likely disproportionately lopsided.

NILs are typically created by boosters of a schools program although a handful of national companies are paying athletes for advertising (see DoorDash and Buffalo Wild Wings) . NILs take many different forms: by a local company for advertising (ie. a car dealer etc.), as a single donor fund (see: billionaire at UMiami), as a collective (see: UNC’s “Heels for Life”), or as a not-for-profit foundation (see: Syracuse University “315 Foundation“). The advantage of the not for profit is that the contributions are tax deductible intended to attract larger contributions.

The collective and foundation are both open to public funding by contributions from athletic boosters of a school. Most NIL collectives and foundations accept monthly donations from athletic boosters of the school (Ie. $9.99 per month is common).

The NIL entity is suppose to distribute funds to athletes independent from direction of the school (wink).

Many NILs have committed to distributing a minimum sum among all members of a designated athletic program. Two Big East NILs are alleged to promised each member of their supported mens basketball teams $20K per player. The NIL supporting SMU is promising its mens basketball program $36K per year which the athletes would receive in addition to scholarship, room and board.

To date the heaviest NIL money has come down on college football but college basketball is starting to attract biggger mone.

NIL money is now appearing at the D3 and high school level.

Rent it out for weddings, conferences, etc., and make that the NIL money.

Didn’t they do that with Bourne Mansion in Oakdale? Didn’t exactly turn out good for them.

Also NIL money can’t come from the school

Wagner College looking to purchase the property, possibly placing graduate programs there, they are a 1/2 mile down the hill.It’s very disappointing
SJU could not contain the enrollment at the Staten Island campus over the years.Tuition definitely the major issue.
I remember years ago the red/white preseason scrimmage was played on the si campus.
I heard the same thing about Wagner but that they would need NYS funding help (bonds).

I just hope they don't build more houses here. 16+ acres of land and the zoning allows for a variety of semi/attached houses. Vito the SI BP is hoping Wagner takes it over.

My future wife and I applied to the Brooklyn campus (Schemerhorn St. in Brooklyn Heights) while seniors in HS in 1971. We were notified after accepting that the Brooklyn campus (really a multi story building) was moving to a newly acquired campus on Staten Island formerly Notre Dame College, a small women's college that closed. The deal meant that the new school was officially Notre Dame College of St. John's University, that is what our diplomas say. I think that the NDC was later dropped.
So I can say I graduated from Notre Dame.
We both graduated in 1975 and while we were friends we were not dating, but both ended up at the Queens campus 1975-1978, me in the law school, Laura in grad school for school psychology. We reconnected, got engaged and married after graduation.
So I have very fond feelings for St. John's and both campuses. SI was so much smaller and prettier especially back then before they used up the open space and added in new buildings that didn't match the 100 year old buildings there already. Pr-Season the Men's BB team would visit and put on a scrimmage in the tiny guy there, it was sparsely attended. Most students worked after school and with no housing everyone commuted usually from their parents' homes. I must say if you picked the right courses and profs too one could come out of NDC SJU with a good education back then. Very sad to hear about this closing and the end of an era.

My future wife and I applied to the Brooklyn campus (Schemerhorn St. in Brooklyn Heights) while seniors in HS in 1971. We were notified after accepting that the Brooklyn campus (really a multi story building) was moving to a newly acquired campus on Staten Island formerly Notre Dame College, a small women's college that closed. The deal meant that the new school was officially Notre Dame College of St. John's University, that is what our diplomas say. I think that the NDC was later dropped.
So I can say I graduated from Notre Dame.
We both graduated in 1975 and while we were friends we were not dating, but both ended up at the Queens campus 1975-1978, me in the law school, Laura in grad school for school psychology. We reconnected, got engaged and married after graduation.
So I have very fond feelings for St. John's and both campuses. SI was so much smaller and prettier especially back then before they used up the open space and added in new buildings that didn't match the 100 year old buildings there already. Pr-Season the Men's BB team would visit and put on a scrimmage in the tiny guy there, it was sparsely attended. Most students worked after school and with no housing everyone commuted usually from their parents' homes. I must say if you picked the right courses and profs too one could come out of NDC SJU with a good education back then. Very sad to hear about this closing and the end of an era.
I graduated the same year with an MBA and have similar memories as I was full time and a grad asst. As I GA, I had parking pass for faculty so that was a big time saver as parking was a premium. Remember the hot drink machine in the basement-always questioned the idea of coffee, hot chocolat and tea coming out of the same spout. Many hours spent in the library that had a smoking room which I used at the time. Small classes really created good interaction with profs. Good times but could never stomach the Clam Pies at The Road House-what a way to ruin a pizza.

SI has small classes and terrific professors (among some not so much). Professors commonly had their classes over to their houses or apartments for some socializing, really something that helped everyone bond. Staten Island had some nice parks, and other places to go after class. Most students when I was there were from SI, Bklyn or some from NJ, so not a very diverse universe of students. Some were very smart (my year alone had three kids from Regis HS in NYC) and they ended up at St. John's SI for a variety or reasons, some economic, some cultural or some were from families where they were the first in the family to go to college so didn't get a lot of direction from mom & dad. All in all, it was a very positive experience and moving over for our next 3 years at the Queens Campus was very different.

The Roadhouse at the bottom of Grymes Hill was great but so was the Library down the other side of the hill; when you went to this Gin Mill you could get away with saying "I'm going to The Library", and you wouldn't be lying.

Back