Staffing Rick

fordham96

Sounds like Van is staying (good for continuity) which should combine with Mas, Walsh and Taliek.

New rule starting on July 1, you can have as many as 5 assistant coaches + HC on the court working on drills and practice.
Now you still cannot have anymore then 3 assistants on the road recruiting along with the HC. Use to be a DOBO or analyst technically was not allowed to participate in practice or help with a recruits visit on campus. That is gone now so less importance on assistant designation.

Still interesting to see if he brings at least one more assistant outside of Iona.

The Council supported an increase of two coaches in men's and women's basketball. These additional coaches may engage in coaching activities but may not recruit off campus.

The coaching limits rules take effect July 1.

Sounds like Van is staying (good for continuity) which should combine with Mas, Walsh and Taliek.

New rule starting on July 1, you can have as many as 5 assistant coaches + HC on the court working on drills and practice.
Now you still cannot have anymore then 3 assistants on the road recruiting along with the HC. Use to be a DOBO or analyst technically was not allowed to participate in practice or help with a recruits visit on campus. That is gone now so less importance on assistant designation.

Still interesting to see if he brings at least one more assistant outside of Iona.

The Council supported an increase of two coaches in men's and women's basketball. These additional coaches may engage in coaching activities but may not recruit off campus.

The coaching limits rules take effect July 1.

Something tells me Van will be one of the assistants permitted to recruit

Watching him engage with the players on the sidelines, I became a big fan of Chris Huey, who was the director of basketball operations. I hope he has a chance to stay with the program, although he is no longer on the team's website (while Van and Zendon still are). If not, I hope he has great success elsewhere.

I'll start by saying I like Van a lot and I'm glad he's on board.

But I'm surprised Rick's keeping him after basically saying the players he brought in have bad attitudes.

But I'm surprised Rick's keeping him after basically saying the players he brought in have bad attitudes.
If they were good kids before they got here and as recently as last season for the ones who got here a while ago, that plays into St. John's trying to not pay CMA more than it does the actual recruitment. Just spitballing though.

Again I think it is for continuity and also I don't think the kids themselves were all bad, I do believe the culture around SJU the last couple of years with Coach Anderson did get bad and that rubbed off on some of the players.

Either way whether he kept some of the staff or not I trust him, he knows how to build a staff and a culture as good as anyone in the business.

That is why I don't worry about his staff or the roster at the end of the day. The guy knows how to compete.

I have said it many times on this board.

Give him 2 solid players, a walk on, a cheerleader and the ballboy. And I am telling you the guy can find a way to win 20 games.

Zendon has a well established St John’s pedigree . If he helped Coach Soriano , he did a hell of a job . Van , as lead Recruiter , brought these kids in . After that it was Anderson ‘s job to Coach them . And , as learned throughout the season , CMA didn’t listen to any of his Assistants . Just to recall , all the Mullin kids bailed on CMA after their first or second year . Figgy , Greg W , Duke , Roberts , Dunn. Even Moore and Cole . Plus , deMelo hinted at a near Team mutiny . CMA had many of us fooled didn’t he ? Until this year when the Boat sunk .

I saw him in the back at the press conference yesterday
Do we think he's bringing the whole crew and one of them will be a special advisor? I've been trying to figure out who's coming aboard if Macon is staying and Mas is very clearly recruiting with Pitino.

I would say Bob Walsh becomes DOBO or something like that as well. When he joined the Providence staff I believe he was in this role or as a special assistant to Cooley.

He is a good NY guy.... went to school in NYC before having a really nice career at Rhode Island college.

Back