St. Pat's closing

LJSA

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/mJDHKyeXBECSZpNfWTy_RA/st-patrick-will-close-at-the-end-of-this-school-year.htm

One of the nation's finest basketball schools, St. Patrick (Elizabeth, N.J.), will close its doors at the end of the current school year, former assistant basketball coach Ray Miller told MaxPreps Saturday night.

"That's the word we got today," Miller said. "The archdiocese is going to close the school at the end of the school year. They informed the school Thursday or Friday. They told the basketball team today. It's a similar thing to what happened to Paterson Catholic (Paterson, N.J.) two years ago."

Miller was a longtime assistant to ultra-successful coach Kevin Boyle, who left last year for Montverde Academy (Montverde, Fla.), and he admits to it being a great personal loss.

"When I got the news today, I felt like someone hit me in the stomach with a brick," he confessed. "I was an assistant coach there for 18 or 19 years. The building has been around since the 1800s. (The feeling) is not comfortable at all. It's strange and painful. It's a major loss and it's going to be awhile before that feeling passes."

St. Patrick was no ordinary school. Miller credits high school All-Americans Shaheen Holloway and Al Harrington for putting the school on the national basketball map. Holloway was a 5-10 guard who later starred at Seton Hall University and now serves as its associate head coach. The 6-8 Harrington was USA Today's National Player of the Year and still plays for the Denver Nuggets in the NBA.

Following them were such standouts as Sam Dallembert, Corey Fisher, Dexter Strickland, Kyrie Irving and Michael Kidd Gilchrist.

The Celtics are being coached this year by former long-time JV coach Christopher Chavannes.

Miller revealed that next weekend he will be headed for Florida to rejoin Kevin Boyle at Montverde Academy.

"I'm actually going back home," he noted. "I grew up in Winter Haven, which is about 45 minutes from Montverde."

Stopped making money so close the doors, suburbia is where the mission is now. 

I played for St. Mary's HS in Perth Amboy, NJ in the early '70's and they waxed us 72-37 one year. I chipped in with 2 and considered that a major accomplishment. They were feared 40 years ago. Very sad. Hopefully alum can chip in the way they did recently with 4 Philly schools scheduled to close, and got them to remain open. 

Back