St. Patrick's Day Parade

Received a call today to my home in Stuart, Florida from none than but Billy Schafer. For those of you who are too young to remember Schafer, he played for the Johnnies in the late 60,s as a prolifice guard for SJU. He had asked me if I would be interested in attending the parade in Naples, Fl over the weekend along with other SJU alumns. He did not realize that my actual address was Stuart, Fl which for those of you who are not familiar with Florida is on the east coast. Frankly I probably would have made the trip, but had family in town for the week. I have to tell you that it was great talking to Billy. He spent about 30 minutes on the phone with me discussing many different things including me joining the Red & White Club. I mentioned that I would be a season ticket holder if for not spenfing 5 months of the season in Florida.. He mentioned that there are various levels of membership for me to explore which I will certainly do when I return. .

Received a call today to my home in Stuart, Florida from none than but Billy Schafer. For those of you who are too young to remember Schafer, he played for the Johnnies in the late 60,s as a prolifice guard for SJU. He had asked me if I would be interested in attending the parade in Naples, Fl over the weekend along with other SJU alumns. He did not realize that my actual address was Stuart, Fl which for those of you who are not familiar with Florida is on the east coast. Frankly I probably would have made the trip, but had family in town for the week. I have to tell you that it was great talking to Billy. He spent about 30 minutes on the phone with me discussing many different things including me joining the Red & White Club. I mentioned that I would be a season ticket holder if for not spenfing 5 months of the season in Florida.. He mentioned that there are various levels of membership for me to explore which I will certainly do when I return. .

Billy averaged 24.7 points, in 1972-3, as a senior (FG % of .594) and 18.8 points for his career. Furthermore, he averaged 11.2 rebounds as a senior.

Would have scored even more points in his career (1,484), but this was before the 3 point shot.

He also won the Haggerty Award given to the MVP of collegiate basketball in the Metropolitan area his senior year.

In addition, he won the MVP of the 1972 ECAC Holiday Festival.

Billy was Third Team All-America on both the AP and UPI teams and played professionally for the Virginia Squires, NY Nets and L.A. Lakers.

I always kid Billy that he was my Dad's favorite player until some guy named Mullin showed up.

St. John's is very lucky to have him and Mel Davis working for the university. Both are great guys.   

JSJ,

For those of us too young to remember:

How tall was Billy back in his SJU days? And did his game remind you of a poor man's Chris Mullin?

His rebounding figures are excellent, so Billy was a SF rather than a 4?

Billy is about six-five .

IMO, he is a lot better than a "poor man's" Chris Mullin. He was an All-American after all.

He was a small forward. 

Yet another reason why I (as an Irish-American) hate St. Patrick's Day:

New Jersey parade last weekend. Dude wearing a green t-shirt reads:

"Forget about the kiss. Blow me, I'm Irish."

People taking photos of it. Women cackling. Plenty of children around.

Main Man,

Agree I'm a first generation American parents born in Ireland. Usually it is is young immature people that are either barely Irish or completely disconnected from their heritage wearing that crap.

I do love the NYC Parade though, in Rockland County some politicians are looking at trying to ban t-shirts like you mentioned being sold in stores.

Kiss me I'm Irish was tame and cute but now it is getting degrading.  

Main Man,

Agree I'm a first generation American parents born in Ireland. Usually it is is young immature people that are either barely Irish or completely disconnected from their heritage wearing that crap.

I do love the NYC Parade though, in Rockland County some politicians are looking at trying to ban t-shirts like you mentioned being sold in stores.

My grandfather, who passed away 30 years ago, used to take St. Patricks Day off each year when he was working as a welder on the NY Central. An Irish immigrant who came to this country in the 1920s, he would march proudly up 5th Avenue with the County Cavan crew. Sure there was plenty drinking afterwards and no doubt some folks got smashed back then. But nowadays, it's gone from a celebration of the Irish to perpetuating the worst stereotypes of its people.

In Hoboken near where I live, the city officials canceled the parade this year because of all the disturbances from past St. Patrick's Day (public urination, street fights, property damage, co-eds puking on stoops, etc.) Most residents cheered the decision, but that still didn't stop the day-long pub crawl a few weekends ago although it was less attended than previous years.

I grew up in a household where liquor wasn't taboo. It was respected and I would have a drink every now and again in my late teens. By the time I got to college, beer wasn't this forbidden taboo that you had to funnel down your throat to enjoy. It was something you cracked open and enjoyed around friends.

Maybe it's a case of a generation not knowing how to hold their liquor. Or maybe binge drinking is way up. Or maybe I'm sounding like a cranky 36-year-old wearing his underwear too tight. Whatever the case, St. Patrick's Day kinda sucks these days.

Just got back from the parade. Great fun and a thundering round of applause for the Dept. of Alumni Relations who made it a great experience.

Fabulous brunch at St. Andrews, owned by St. John's alumnus Marty Whealan. 

Met many great people this afternoon. Students and alumni alike. At least 200 people marched up 5th Ave.

Was amazed at how many people shouted "Let's Go Redmen", "Let's Go Johnnies", "Let's Go Red Storm", "Where's Louie" "We Love St. John's"

Next year, the parade will also be on a Saturday. Would strongly encourage everyone to march with the St. John's contingent. Only $40.

Thank again to Kristy, Victor, Mark, Rino and everyone at St. John's who made it a great St. Patrick's Day ! 

Main Man,

In Hoboken near where I live, the city officials canceled the parade this year because of all the disturbances from past St. Patrick's Day (public urination, street fights, property damage, co-eds puking on stoops, etc.) .

I think you are mixing St Pats up with a Uconn game at the garden

Billy is about six-five .

IMO, he is a lot better than a "poor man's" Chris Mullin. He was an All-American after all.

He was a small forward. 

Billy and UCLA's Lynn Shackelford were maybe the two best deep baseline shooters I ever saw. Money in the bank. Like Mullin, one has to wonder how many points he would have scored had the three-point play been in effect. And as noted, Billy's a super nice, very approachable guy who's a great representative for the university.

Just got back from the parade. Great fun and a thundering round of applause for the Dept. of Alumni Relations who made it a great experience.

Met many great people this afternoon. Students and alumni alike. At least 200 people marched up 5th Ave.

Was amazed at how many people shouted "Let's Go Redmen", "Let's Go Johnnies", "Let's Go Red Storm", "Where's Louie" "We Love St. John's"

Next year, the parade will also be on a Saturday. Would strongly encourage everyone to march with the St. John's contingent. Only $40.

I also marched and it was fun. However, Manhattan on a Saturday for St. Patrick's Day with 62 degree temps equals trouble. Second Avenue in the 70s was scary as was 3rd in the fifties.. I must be getting old :)

Thank again to Kristy, Victor, Mark, Rino and everyone at St. John's who made it a great St. Patrick's Day ! 

Don't want to sound like Jersey Shore Pollyanna, but I was pleasantly surprised with the conduct of most people yst.

Didn't hear any cursing. Didn't see any body singing to the porcelain. Didn't see any outrageous behavior.

Granted, I sound like Jim "I know nothing" Boeheim, but it's true.

During the 2 hour wait before we marched down 5th Ave people couldn't be nicer.

The folks watching the parade, and cheering us on, could not have been nicer.

That said, I did leave for home right after the parade, and God knows what went on outside the various watering holes after I departed for N.J.  

Also met some great St. John's students yst.

Four young ladies I chatted with were particularly impressive.

All were freshman. Two were pre-med majors, one was pre-law and the fourth was an environmental major. If they are any representation of the student body, the future is very bright for St. John's.

Also like to give a loud shout out to the Ryan Brothers, both sons of St. John's, who were instrumental in organizing the event for St. John's.

I'm glad you had a great time. And it's nice that they held this event at an alum's place.

But St. Patrick's Day... in a Scottish bar?

That sound you hear from Dublin to Red Bank is Michael Collins is turning over in his grave. 

Back