St. John's Health Science Center

Rev. Brian J. Shanley, O.P.
President
I am pleased to share with you some exciting news: yesterday, the University announced that the newest building currently under construction at the Queens, NY, campus of St. John’s University will have a dedicated space that pays tribute in perpetuity to a familiar alumni couple. The Dorothea and Nickolas Davatzes Atrium will be named in memory of Nickolas “Nick” Davatzes ’62C, ’64G, ’95HON, Trustee Emeritus, cable television pioneer, and husband of Dorothea “Dorie” Hayes Davatzes ’66Ed. Upon construction, the new atrium will welcome visitors to the St. Vincent Hall-Health Sciences Center as they enter the building from the Great Lawn.

Mr. Davatzes, Chief Executive Officer Emeritus of A+E Television Networks, LLC, died in August of 2021 at the age of 79. Before his passing, the Davatzes family made a five-million-dollar commitment to support the University that first brought Nick and Dorie together as undergraduates 60 years earlier.

While I did not get the chance to know Nick Davatzes personally, I am well aware of the profound impact he made on the University, the television industry, and his friends and family. I am also deeply aware of the impact that the University has on transforming the lives of first-generation students like Nick Davatzes and the far-reaching love of St. John’s that manifests itself in generous alumni and members of our extended family. We are grateful to God for the generosity of the Davatzes family.

As mentioned in recent communications, there is much to be excited about at our University. I thank you all for being part of the St. John’s University family.

Back