SJU vs Zona

MCNPA

2023 $upporter
 Figured since this is our first known game, we should get some discussion going here. Sean Miller IMO is Lavin's alter ego on the West Coast. Interesting how they are flip-flopped. Both similar age with strong recruiting abilities.

Arizona not bringing a lot of players of note back either except Kevin Parrom. They will be relying on some fantastic freshmen like Josiah Turner, Nick Johnson, Angelo Chol, and Sidiki Johnson to carry them along. Sporting News has them ranked in the top 10 pre-season. Curious as to thoughts on this game??

Both teams will have some games beforehand to get warmed up. Josiah is a monster. I personally wonder if a team like Zona will be ready to shoot over our zone. Josiah is a very, very good PG but he is a guy that creates off the drive. Lindsey is older and could give him trouble on the other end as he is a big guard as well. Nick Johnson another guy that gets it done off the drive, but relies on streak shooting at times. Johnson has the athletic advantage over a guy like Harrison a little bit, but Harrison the better shooter and scorer. Up front, I actually like what SJU has. Sidiki and Parrom are both good, but I think our forwards should compete. Chol is good, but Pelle is better and GG has some size and experience.

Overall, should be an interesting matchup. Both teams will need freshmen to lead the way. Impossible to predict this one. Only thing I can say is that I envision our zones and pressure giving a team like Zona a tough time early. Young teams will have difficulty having to try to shoot over it if we can stop penetration and passing into the paint. This of course is all predicated on the idea that we can put together an effective zone or two with our young roster.

Thoughts?

nice breakdown.A year ago we would have trouble competing. Now we will compete with anyone . Good feeling. All depends how the Freshman progress With current coaching I see us right up there in the big East. Feel we have players that will excel beyond expectations and should do well against top 10 recruits of Kentucky and zona

Can't wait for the 'Zona game (and the UK game). I live in Tucson and am tried of getting dissed for being a Johnies' fan. We are St John's. B) B)  

Figured since this is our first known game, we should get some discussion going here. Sean Miller IMO is Lavin's alter ego on the West Coast. Interesting how they are flip-flopped. Both similar age with strong recruiting abilities.

Arizona not bringing a lot of players of note back either except Kevin Parrom. They will be relying on some fantastic freshmen like Josiah Turner, Nick Johnson, Angelo Chol, and Sidiki Johnson to carry them along. Sporting News has them ranked in the top 10 pre-season. Curious as to thoughts on this game??

Both teams will have some games beforehand to get warmed up. Josiah is a monster. I personally wonder if a team like Zona will be ready to shoot over our zone. Josiah is a very, very good PG but he is a guy that creates off the drive. Lindsey is older and could give him trouble on the other end as he is a big guard as well. Nick Johnson another guy that gets it done off the drive, but relies on streak shooting at times. Johnson has the athletic advantage over a guy like Harrison a little bit, but Harrison the better shooter and scorer. Up front, I actually like what SJU has. Sidiki and Parrom are both good, but I think our forwards should compete. Chol is good, but Pelle is better and GG has some size and experience.

Overall, should be an interesting matchup. Both teams will need freshmen to lead the way. Impossible to predict this one. Only thing I can say is that I envision our zones and pressure giving a team like Zona a tough time early. Young teams will have difficulty having to try to shoot over it if we can stop penetration and passing into the paint. This of course is all predicated on the idea that we can put together an effective zone or two with our young roster.

Thoughts?

Arizona isn't returning anyone of note besides Parrom? Really?
What about Solomon Hill, Kyle Fogg, and Jesse Perry. All three were starters from an Elite 8 team!!!

As you know we have more then a starting five, expect Lavin to press all over the court. There will plenty of substitutions this year. Can't wait to see all of our athletes playing defense.

Back