SJU Vs. Creighton 3-12-2000/Covid

monte

2023 $upporter 2022 $upporter
More than any single event, this game(which I was fortunate to attend thanks to my dear friend Panther) symbolized the start of the Covid epidemic era to me. I walked in to MSG that day not buying in to the hysteria, and walked out of there convinced that the world as we knew it was about to change in a profound and horrid way.

Amongst the many memories of that day, was standing on the corner of 31st and 7th. Trying to decide whether or not it was prudent to take the subway to my home(I had taken the subway to the game) on the UES. Standing to my right, still in full uniform and wearing sandals, was Mitch Bullock and his entire family, looking completely bewildered.

Over the past 4 years we've all been through an awful lot, and have collectively lost many dear friends and family members to Covid. May all the memories of them be a blessing, and may you all be blessed with continued good health. Here are a few photos from that memorable day...IMG_0782.jpegIMG_0780.jpegIMG_0790.jpeg

Ah yes, I remember that day well...as it was my last game after 39 years on the bench. What a crazy ending to my career! I realized something was going down when I saw the supervisor of officials in the stands meeting with Big East admins and then word spread at the 8 minute timeout of all the other conferences canceling nationwide. I knew we were done when Val met with AD Cragg behind our bench. Surreal
Someone caught a pix of me talking to MSG trainer Dan Furlong (SJ grad btw) pregame at mid court there in that 2nd photo.

Last edited:
Back