Seton Hall To Offer Steep Tuition Discounts

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/29/nyregion/seton-hall-university-to-offer-steep-tuition-discounts.html

Kevin Willard was such a bad hire now they are practically paying kids to go to school there

I dont know if its to late for this year, but may not be a bad idea for SJU for walk ons. We can sure use some good ones this year.

Good for Seton Hall for taking proactive steps to improve its undergraduate academic profile.

Seton Hall and St. John's appear to have similarities in applicants and academic profiles.

The average SAT's (reading & math) for accepted students in 25 to 75% range is near identical:
- Seton Hall .. 980 to 1170 
- St.John's .... 970 to 1210.

USNews undergrad Ranking
- Seton Hall #132
- St.John's ..#152

Bloomberg - Business Week Undergrad Business School rankings
- Seton Hall #88
- St.John's ... no ranking

The discount amounts to a partial scholarship. At St. John's, high school students who graduate in the top 10% and have over a 1250 on SAT and are A students usually get a free ride or partial scholarships. A great marketing campaign by Seton Hall to increase applications.

A great move by the Hall attacking the tuition inflation trend head on while improving it's academic profile. SHU with a very similiar mission showe corgae and leadership. Great job by   Dr. A. Gabriel Esteban Seton Hall's first lay President showing corage and leadership,

St. John's should follow suit.

Raising itsacademic profile should be a priority for any college.

It is hard to understand how in 2001 The College of Insurance was held in high esteem by academics but after merging with our beloved St.John's it fails to even receive a ranking by US News.

I am sure that the above fact will draw well worn comments by the Rev. Donald J. Harrington, C.M. apologists about St.John's pre advent of average student debt of $32K, SUNY and CUNY, but the reality is that quality does count.

To it's credit Seton Hall is attempting to upgrade its academic profile.

It is hard to understand how in 2001 The College of Insurance was held in high esteem by academics but after merging with our beloved St.John's it fails to even receive a ranking by US News.

I am sure that the above fact will draw well worn comments by the Rev. Donald J. Harrington, C.M. apologists about St.John's pre advent of average student debt of $32K, SUNY and CUNY, but the reality is that quality does count.

As you know my big issue is the amount of student loan debt that St. John's students take on. This is magnified by the fact that about a third of those enrolled come from families that are financially challenged.

That is to say, they come from households with an AGI of $50K or LESS.

It's as if we are fostering a sub-prime like situation for student loans.

Why is a Catholic university, which should know better encouraging students, who should not be, to take on out-sized student loan debt?? Arguably, it smack of greed. Realize this is somewhat of a strident comment but others can draw their own conclusions.

Am I (and you) among the relative few who find this somewhat of a ethical issue?

This is a real example of the craziness:

Should St. John's be encouraging the following student to attend the university, I ask rhetorically.

Student profile: Single parent home, AGI far, far less than $50K.

AFTER GRANTS, the aforementioned resident student owes $10K a semester. That is $80K for 4 years.

Yes, this kid doesn't have to be going to St. John's and should be going to CCNY but why is St. John's even encouraging such an applicant in the first place.

If forced to, I could try to make a case for this kid if he/she was going to be a Pharmacist or a Physician's Assistant, professions where there are career tracks, but this kid is majoring in Communications.

As an aside. one thing that THE HALL has that we don't is a School of Nursing which I think would dovetail nicely into the mission of the School of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions.

They also offer a graduate program in Physical Therapy.

St. John's would attract some very good students and give them a good paying career track if they added such courses of study.

College is a business.
Their job is to make money.
Every rich kid Harvard takes gets no financial aid, hence more in their pocket.
They have the largest endowment in the world and still have the audacity to charge 60K annually.
Why do you think state universities take out of state students over in state, tax paying students?
Because they pay twice the tuition.
Good for Seton Hall for trying to get it.
St. John's already gets it.

As an aside. one thing that THE HALL has that we don't is a School of Nursing which I think would dovetail nicely into the mission of the School of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions.
  I'd think a school of nursing would raise the hotness factor of the girls quite measurably. I'm all for that

Back